I believe Jeremy Banks is coming back..

On THAT I can agree with you - but sadly, not only is it not so today, even mere thoughts are enough to equate with horrid actions. Ergo, if I ask a person, who happens to be black skinned, if they like watermelon as I take a piece of it from the fruit tray - I have committed an act of "verbal lynching" or so the infinite wisdom of the young and woke would tell us.

I must disagree. I always found Chris Rock's stuff fairly racist actually in that the things I heard were always pretty one sided. Same with Martin Lawrence, Tracy Morgan, etc. Eddie Murphy, however, and Dave Chappelle are some of the very few black comedians I have personally heard who absolutely rip everyone equally and do so while poking fun of people's prejudices. Those two are the epitome of what comedy should be IMO. That said, we all best make fun of our own since we know it best, enter Jeff Foxworthy or Jackie Mason.
Racism does have a level of truth to it and factual stories make great jokes. Chris Rock is amazing imo.

Reactions: Behr and 82_VOL_83
Banks made mistakes. I don’t know his background but based on his actions I’ll go out on a limb and say he wasn’t afforded the same home life or socioeconomic life of me.

I say that not to judge him but only to compare him to my experiences and whatnot.

Through life, school, and work, I’ve come to learn good people can be cultivated at many stages of life. Maybe he was raised by a community who dislikes law enforcement. Maybe his parent or guardian was ignorant to how to properly raise a young man. Maybe football afforded him privileges that kept him out of serious trouble until recently. Maybe he didn’t have a dad or strong father figure. Maybe all of those.

What I do know if he has a great opportunity for redemption.

If his student body, players, and coaches accept him back then I approve. If they don’t then I approve.

Kids do dumb stuff and this was serious. As a football player you should act like a role model and sadly many young men have a warped image of what that means.

I can also tell you if football doesn’t work out he is likely destined to enter the criminal justice system and stay in and out of it for life. That’s not good for Banks and not good for society.

He should be on a short leash and met expectations set by his coaches and mentors as well as his brothers in the locker room.

I hope he is successful here but if not here then somewhere.

I find that the young and woke don't tend to be wise. You are giving credence to their actions by the mere mention of them. The young and the woke should be educated, not coddled or for that matter listened too.

It seems that the droll humor and dripping sarcasm of an old wizard is did not shine through on the irony of the young and woke as clearly as I had thought.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
It seems that the droll humor and dripping sarcasm of an old wizard is did not shine through on the irony of the young and woke as clearly as I had thought.
It was there, its just that woke joke sailed several years ago, especially in this thread. Asking of someone what was asked on the previous page should get a stern warning if not some time off. Playing the I'm military and know everything card should get the ban hammer.

It was there, its just that woke joke sailed several years ago, especially in this thread. Asking of someone what was asked on the previous page should get a stern warning if not some time off. Playing the I'm military and know everything card should get the ban hammer.
No one knows everything

You have a link that shows that? I look at the UT AD budget and they spend over 14mil a year on Scholarships.
I stand corrected. UT is one of the schools that doesn't require funding from the state as the scholarships ARE supported by the athletic department. Most schools do require state funds. I can admit that I was wrong.

Reactions: Behr and 82_VOL_83
State universities get their money from the state. They don't utilize revenue from games for scholarships.
State University gets the money from the state sure but they don't spend that money on sports it's for supplies and to pay the teachers their salary along with maintenance etc... The sports department should cover their own expenses from the sales and bowl games they play in.

Reactions: SmokeyDaBear
Has anyone looked at how much the state of Tennessee provides in funds to UT? Apparently UTK tries pretty hard to hide its budget numbers because I tried a simple search using "University of Tennessee 2019-2020 budget" and nothing but simple press releases came up. There was an article that said the FY16-17 budget was $1.2 billion but that included references to capital outlays (building stuff). There is no breakdown in the state's budget beyond a gross number of $177 million. (I have a degree in accounting so I can normally read a financial statement but these are tough to reconcile.) Would love to see how much of the athletic department's money actually comes from state appropriated funds versus University generated revenues and, of course, donations. I do know our athletic revenues rank in the top ten nationally. So I'm guessing the athletic department pays for itself including athletic scholarships. If anyone finds a link to the UTK budget I would love to see it.

I admit it, I'm kind of a geek on federal government financing, especially now that we are running annual budget deficits of over a trillion dollars a year. I actually read the annual summary that's comes out every year as part of the entire federal budget. I wonder if anyone ever reads the actual report, it's thousands of pages, the summary is typically less than 60.

Has anyone looked at how much the state of Tennessee provides in funds to UT? Apparently UTK tries pretty hard to hide its budget numbers because I tried a simple search using "University of Tennessee 2019-2020 budget" and nothing but simple press releases came up. There was an article that said the FY16-17 budget was $1.2 billion but that included references to capital outlays (building stuff). There is no breakdown in the state's budget beyond a gross number of $177 million. (I have a degree in accounting so I can normally read a financial statement but these are tough to reconcile.) Would love to see how much of the athletic department's money actually comes from state appropriated funds versus University generated revenues and, of course, donations. I do know our athletic revenues rank in the top ten nationally. So I'm guessing the athletic department pays for itself including athletic scholarships. If anyone finds a link to the UTK budget I would love to see it.

I admit it, I'm kind of a geek on federal government financing, especially now that we are running annual budget deficits of over a trillion dollars a year. I actually read the annual summary that's comes out every year as part of the entire federal budget. I wonder if anyone ever reads the actual report, it's thousands of pages, the summary is typically less than 60.

I took your search of "University of Tennessee 2019-2020 budget" and made it "University of Tennessee 2019-2020 athletic budget". I'm not sure if you came across this info in your search but here is the link to the university athletics disclosure statements. I just quickly looked over some of the documents and they do provide a breakdown but I'm not sure if the info provided completely answers your question(s). If anything this is a good jumping off point if you haven't already seen it. Hope this helps.

Financial Information

Reactions: WBO
I remember thinking, in NO way would I let Juan Jennings back on the team. Be mindful, the Lord didn't bless me with patience, I could never be a teacher.

I couldn't have been more wrong. With not only help, and guidance from Pruitt, in addition to grace, he turned his life around, and became a vol I would dare say, we all can be proud of.

I'm trusting Pruitt with this one, as we probably all should. He'll get it right, whatever that might be.....

Careful, Sara. Speaking the truth on certain issues in VN is fraught with danger. On account we have a fair number of folks here who view the truth as lies and lies as the truth. I call them alternative realityors. They're infected with KellyAnnistis which is totally incurable.

On a more serious note, when we decide via bias to give up on one another, the species is already headed for extinction in a lemmings-like rush. For so-called homo sapiens, we too often exhibit an infinite level of self-destructive stupidity. I trust Pruitt on whatever call he makes about Jeremy. If he banks on Banks and bankruptcy results, it is very likely fair to say, the boy had his chance(s) and decided to invest in the wrong stock -- bye with cleat prints on his bottom. Maybe, he would benefit from Last Chance University, maybe not but it'll be on him and him alone. However, we will always have those folks who LOVE to sit back and wait for, yea, even imagine for the slightest slip up to deploy their bias as an excuse to justify self-righteous, hypocritical, and judgmental disdain for others.

Finally, on thing I will always remember is after we beat Auburn, Jennings coming over to Fulmer for a hug and told him, "Thank you for believing in me." It's trying at times but we need more of this instead of the venom we spew and spit at people different than ourselves.

I remember thinking, in NO way would I let Juan Jennings back on the team. Be mindful, the Lord didn't bless me with patience, I could never be a teacher.

I couldn't have been more wrong. With not only help, and guidance from Pruitt, in addition to grace, he turned his life around, and became a vol I would dare say, we all can be proud of.

I'm trusting Pruitt with this one, as we probably all should. He'll get it right, whatever that might be.....

You have company, Sarah. I truly felt Pruitt shouldn't let JJ return. I felt he'd be his Kelly Washington. Oh how wrong I was. I've learned a valuable lesson about making judgements from afar...from what I glean from an internet site. Far, far better to trust the coaches and support staff who know exactly what's transpired and why. These individuals see and relate to these players on a daily basis. They know what's truly inside these kids. If they decide to give a second, third or fourth chance to a player, I'll support their decisions from now on.

On a related note, iff this Evans kid passes their evaluations and they offer and sign him, I say welcome aboard. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they're perfect and won't make mistakes. What I'm saying is that they're in a far more informed position than I am to make that call.

Now back to the crow I'm trying to digest on Jennings.

It can't be racist if it's funny. If you find something racist AND funny the you quite probably are on the "superior" end. Racism should be defined by actions and not by words. This is where we have fallen off the boat. Words don't do harm unless the one spoken too allows them to. I see several posters on this thread (Not pointing you out at all) that need to grow a thicker skin and get over it. What he said was about the time honored black man vs. white man genitalia argument. It wasn't racist it was FUNNY. If you think that statement was racist at all you need to check your "ego".

Here's some honesty about what's funny. And I challenge anyone to provide a viable refutation thereof. First a personal belief of my own. Just my way of thinking. If you can't laugh at yourself, you have no business laughing at others. That's just me.

Humor, despite all the snotty definitions offered by academia, is just one thing. That is making light of perceived misfortune whether your own, others, animals, or events of some type. That's all it is, not to say it's never hurtful, mean, spiteful and such at times. It doesn't matter if one laughs at the violence-centered cartoons such as Tom & Jerry, Popeye, The Roadrunner or whatever. It doesn't matter if one laughs at the mishaps of the Three Stooges, Abbott & Costello, Buster Keaton, and the likes. It doesn't matter if you laugh at someone who is eye-glued to their cellphone and falls into an open service shaft; someone wildly "dancing" while trying to get their footing on an icy sidewalk and failing miserably. Humor is making light of perceived misfortune. That includes jokes of all types, racist, sexist (women tell them too), cognitive deficiency, medical conditions, and so on. Whether the joke is generally inconsequential, self-deprecating, or cruel, the focus is on a perceived misfortune. One of what I think is the most insulting (and funny) blonde jokes I ever heard was told to me by a blonde woman. A woman so smart she runs her own company and authors Tex-Mex cookbooks on the side and owns a series of exclusive apartment complexes. I chuckle even now remembering what she said, but it was at its core an insult to blonde women's presumed lack of intelligence.

An old Irish pub joke mocks the dead, blind people, cops, and even the listeners in regard to the time of day/night the event took place. Even the Abbott & Costello routine "Who's On First?" mocks the presumed stupidity of Costello not understanding basic answers to simple questions and his eventual frustration. The dictionary and snotty academia are both wrong about humor. But I welcome a refutation of something that is funny yet excludes a perceived misfortune. Still, they're right about one thing, the one who laughs needs the cognitive ability and to some extent the experience to comprehend why the event is an anomaly, hence funny.

Last edited:
I took your search of "University of Tennessee 2019-2020 budget" and made it "University of Tennessee 2019-2020 athletic budget". I'm not sure if you came across this info in your search but here is the link to the university athletics disclosure statements. I just quickly looked over some of the documents and they do provide a breakdown but I'm not sure if the info provided completely answers your question(s). If anything this is a good jumping off point if you haven't already seen it. Hope this helps.

Financial Information

Thanks. It's clear then that the athletic department doesn't get any funding from state legislatively authorized funds, including scholarships. In fact, they're paying Tennessee and Knoxville sales tax of over $4.5 million. Maybe Knoxville needs to be a little more appreciative.

That SEC revenue number is stunning, $45 million. Obviously belonging to the SEC really pays off. I did find it funny that revenues and expenses are exactly equal without creating a capital reserve. But what kind of debt is the department carrying that takes almost $14 million in debt service. I'm sure a lot of that is capital improvements but I'll bet Butch is part of that number.

Thanks. It's clear then that the athletic department doesn't get any funding from state legislatively authorized funds, including scholarships. In fact, they're paying Tennessee and Knoxville sales tax of over $4.5 million. Maybe Knoxville needs to be a little more appreciative.

That SEC revenue number is stunning, $45 million. Obviously belonging to the SEC really pays off. I did find it funny that revenues and expenses are exactly equal without creating a capital reserve. But what kind of debt is the department carrying that takes almost $14 million in debt service. I'm sure a lot of that is capital improvements but I'll bet Butch is part of that number.

At some point I will go back and look at those links at little closer because since you mentioned it, I am a little more curious now as to what the athletics dept. claims in expenses and whatnot.

VN Store

Back