I believe Jeremy Banks is coming back..

I don't know if they're necessarily racists or bigots. I am only certain of one racist here... a worshiper of a particular player.

I just think they have a Pharisee attitude that is neither merciful OR even just. They think they're establishing an objective line of discipline... but at the heart of discipline is the disciples. Are you trying to create a team of great human beings or are you just trying to have tough rules?

If they gave Banks a path back that was difficult and mind-opening and keep him on a very short leash then I don't think that tempts future players to do similar things. In fact, I think it puts someone on the team with the wisdom to tell them not to do it.
Nah, one of our more vocal detractors has been calling JB a racist although he has yet to post where his comments showed him to be a racist bigot. Just search on RACIST BIGOT (yes, he capitalizes it 95% of the time) in this thread.

I am assuming that many of the "pro banks" crowd here, haven't taken the time to actually watch and listen to the all the audio and video. They are just ignorant of the facts. I'm sure once they have actually watched and listened to these videos-with audio, they will be shocked at the Racial Bigotry/Sexual innuendo spouted by banks. banks said, "Miss blondie you don't like black men. cause white men can't handle you like black men." One day after MLK day, it is a shame I even have to point out- this is Hate speech. Some of the more ignorant wouldn't have a problem calling this racial bigotry if the colors of the people were reversed, or their sexes etc.. There is no place at UT for this type of hate, nor is there for those that turn a blind eye to it, or support it.
That is not racist. That is a statement of opinion and realistically made me laugh. It does not serve to advance one race over the other. It's a rather sexual comment but if you are intimidated by what he said maybe some self examination is in order.

Reactions: butchna and pimo1
You are hate? I don't feel like hate. Of course those faced with the actual quotes, and having access to the actual audio/videos, don't want to talk about hate speech, racial bigotry, or the sexual innuendo-turning a blind eye to this is Hate. To say "you are hate in this post" is ridiculous, and keeps you from actually addressing the hate spewed by banks....not even a good try.
I seriously believe that you are intimidated by that statement. I am beginning to understand your little issue with this!!!

Actually, the refusal of so many to even acknowledge the Racial Bigotry is sad, they don't even use the term! When one read the posts, they seem to want to concentrate on "we shoot at cops", and call it "a mistake" and say haven't you ever said things you've regretted? etc. etc., but they are careful not to bring up the Racial Bigotry. In fact, at least one ignorant poster (I say ignorant, because I'm sure he isn't aware of the racial/sexual comments made by banks) appears to take offence to anyone pointing this out. If one wants mercy, forgiveness, etc. shouldn't they, at the very least, say what for? Ignoring racial bigotry (from banks or anyone else) is enabling this type of conduct-it equals hate. You seem fearful to even acknowledging the racial bigotry. I'm sure you are a very forgiving person, and have often forgiven those that spew racial bigotry-this isn't your first time, and I'm sure it won't be your last-you are just a great person.
Again, you have a small problem with this don't you?

Reactions: Behr
That is not racist. That is a statement of opinion and realistically made me laugh. It does not serve to advance one race over the other. It's a rather sexual comment but if you are intimidated by what he said maybe some self examination is in order.
Heh, heh... 'self examination.' TWSS

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Nah, one of our more vocal detractors has been calling JB a racist although he has yet to post where his comments showed him to be a racist bigot. Just search on RACIST BIGOT (yes, he capitalizes it 95% of the time) in this thread.
You know... I think people really understood what racism truly is and is not... when Blazing Saddles was made. Then REAL racism was mocked. Now faux racism is assumed to be everywhere.

We have someone here who has accused several of us of being racist. Meanwhile, they have a really consistent history of liking QB's of a certain level of melanin while pretty much hating those with low levels.

Someone would have to be a strange sort of schizo to be a melanin deprived person while pulling for a team of the skin tone make up of UT. I mean if we serious cared about race... shouldn't we find a team more to our "liking"... ND State is fun to watch and might appeal to anyone who actually cares.

Actually I hope he changes in his heart and in his actions. "Ruin his life", I hope he plays ball, and does well, in another school-out of Tennessee, he has done enough damage to UT's reputation at this point.

You said earlier that many haven't watched the videos. I'd bet outside of VN there aren't many that will remember anything about him unless he gets into trouble again. If he does he does, I bet we survive.

Racial bigotry is bad and I can't stand racial bigotry. But racial bigotry needs to be dealt with like racial bigotry and not murder. Racial bigotry has been around for a long time and racial bigotry ain't going anywhere. Having a success story involving racial bigotry is way more important than any other racial bigotry story ending. Hit racial bigotry head on and don't pawn racial bigotry off on someone else that may not know all the details of the racial bigotry and won't be able to give Banks and his racial bigotry issues the best help and environment to battle and conquer this racial bigotry problem.

If a woman wants to be a police officer, soldier, or like professional... they better be prepared for much worse than what Banks said in anger.

If a woman wants to be a police officer, soldier, or like professional... they better be prepared for much worse than what Banks said in anger.

Need to make a point here. I'm an officer in the military. I can guarantee you that woman in our armed forces across each branch are not exposed to anything like Banks was dishing. Police, yeah. Not sure what you mean by "like professional." Just wanted to address this, because if anything, women in the armed forces tend to be coddled a bit too much.

Really? That’s not racist? Lol. Yeah, flip the comments where somebody said a black man couldn’t handle something that a white man can and you’d be the very first on VN crying racism from the rooftops. #hypocrisy

Need to make a point here. I'm an officer in the military. I can guarantee you that woman in our armed forces across each branch are not exposed to anything like Banks was dishing. Police, yeah. Not sure what you mean by "like professional." Just wanted to address this, because if anything, women in the armed forces tend to be coddled a bit too much.
LMFAO are you serious? What military are you in? Compared to what is normal everyday water cooler talk in the military and Law enforcement what banks said is the tamest of tame. What kind of bubble do you people live in? I am former Military. Have quite a few friends still deployed and spend a good amount of time on and around base. Pop that bubble bro. Hyperbole is not your friend.

Really? That’s not racist? Lol. Yeah, flip the comments where somebody said a black man couldn’t handle something that a white man can and you’d be the very first on VN crying racism from the rooftops. #hypocrisy
Don't think you understand what he said or maybe your are intimidated by it also?
#comprehensionforthewin

LMFAO are you serious? What military are you in? Compared to what is normal everyday water cooler talk in the military and Law enforcement what banks said is the tamest of tame. What kind of bubble do you people live in? I am former Military. Have quite a few friends still deployed and spend a good amount of time on and around base. Pop that bubble bro. Hyperbole is not your friend.
By former military, do you mean 50 years ago? I've seen folks run up the flag pole for way less than this. This type of incident is not tolerated and wasn't during my 20 years. Does that mean that some folks don't act like idiots? No! Those actions are punished severely when caught though. Video like this would be plenty to hammer a kid.

Don't think you understand what he said or maybe your are intimidated by it also?
#comprehensionforthewin
Defending this is just stupid. You can say give the kid a second third or however many chances this is. I don't know whats happened behind the scenes, but I wouldn't step in front of this incident and say that I think this individual has anything remotely like good character. What he said was absolutely offensive. Stand and defend him all you want. It bothers me that the state is spending money on someone that acts like this when there are quality kids that don't have that opportunity.

You said earlier that many haven't watched the videos. I'd bet outside of VN there aren't many that will remember anything about him unless he gets into trouble again. If he does he does, I bet we survive.

Racial bigotry is bad and I can't stand racial bigotry. But racial bigotry needs to be dealt with like racial bigotry and not murder. Racial bigotry has been around for a long time and racial bigotry ain't going anywhere. Having a success story involving racial bigotry is way more important than any other racial bigotry story ending. Hit racial bigotry head on and don't pawn racial bigotry off on someone else that may not know all the details of the racial bigotry and won't be able to give Banks and his racial bigotry issues the best help and environment to battle and conquer this racial bigotry problem.
Well done. 👍🏿

It could be taken either way depending on the context. But it's not the point a person making one silly statement does not make them a racist bigot. It means that a person is a moron and needs some education. We live in a society where everyone's skin is made of parchment. I can't defend the statement but at the same time, I will not ever define anyone by one stupid thing they said in the heat of the moment. I will especially not attack one's statement without the full context. I think that's something we have a big problem with these days the sound bite. The quick tweet because though that statement is wrong no matter what. It is important to know what prompted such a statement.

In the end, this is all being blown out of proportion and if the parties involved have moved on so should we. The fact he faced no charges is all the information I need because they could have easily charged his a$$ up. I've seen people arrested for much less. Let us move on and let the kid prove his contrition and let him grow from it? And I think the same treatment should be extended to ANY of our players no matter their background when they are in a similar position. Give them a second chance and let it play out.

By former military, do you mean 50 years ago? I've seen folks run up the flag pole for way less than this. This type of incident is not tolerated and wasn't during my 20 years. Does that mean that some folks don't act like idiots? No! Those actions are punished severely when caught though. Video like this would be plenty to hammer a kid.
I left the navy in '97 but as I mentioned I spend quite a bit of time on base (NOB/NAS, Little Creek) as I still have family and friends in. The culture has changed very little at its core. There are certain commands that are more strict but in general, things that wouldn't be accepted at all in the civilian world are commonplace on base. It's the nature of the profession. Military, Law enforcement, Emergency medical etc there is a lot of pressure so a lot of steam gets blown off. The gallows humor you could say. Maybe you don't see it in officers mess but trust me its happening elsewhere all the time.

No, that is very clearly racist - at least if we consider "black men" and "white men" as referring to race (which I do not really but it is the common vernacular).

RACISM: prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Pretty clear that he is telling the woman that the black race is superior in his statement, in their ability to "handle" her. The easiest way to tell is to flip everything, Banks being white, the woman being black, etc. Everyone would be crying "racism". So yes, it was a racist statement and in many ways very messed up, especially when added to the rest of his comments about cops in general + his behavior at the night club.

It was also funny. It was also a drunk young man who was mouthing off while trying to appear macho to a female.

The above facts should not really be in dispute.

The difference of opinion it seems is "what to do about it?". Some are of the view that the offenses were so egregious that they warrant his irredeemable dismissal from the program and the school should kick him back into the gutter from which he came.

My view, however, is that while yes, he comes from the gutter where such thinking and behavior as he expressed is common and widespread - but rather than sweep him back into that gutter, help him to climb out of it. The most critical part of that being for him to first realize that he (and his mindset) was in one. It is a fact that not everyone wants to change and life does not give us limitless opportunities to do so.

In this case, however, I sincerely believe that both Banks and the world at large are better served by keeping him in the program (if he does what is required of him) so that he can be around the positive influences and learn new habits and new thinking. Pruitt seems to have a clear pattern of both fighting for kids and being VERY loyal to them and at the same time, kick their asses and (actually) get in their face when needed. I think this kind of tough love, that demands Banks to "come up higher" but also doesnt throw him away, is the better answer. Maybe that's why many recruits see this staff like a family.

Defending this is just stupid. You can say give the kid a second third or however many chances this is. I don't know whats happened behind the scenes, but I wouldn't step in front of this incident and say that I think this individual has anything remotely like good character. What he said was absolutely offensive. Stand and defend him all you want. It bothers me that the state is spending money on someone that acts like this when there are quality kids that don't have that opportunity.
Anyone that considers his remark about the "prowess of the black man" in a sexual manner is simply intimidated. That is the big joke, the fact that you would let that intimidate you. You and I both know what he was talking about and IT'S ****ING LAUGHABLE!

It could be taken either way depending on the context. But it's not the point a person making one silly statement does not make them a racist bigot. It means that a person is a moron and needs some education. We live in a society where everyone's skin is made of parchment. I can't defend the statement but at the same time, I will not ever define anyone by one stupid thing they said in the heat of the moment. I will especially not attack one's statement without the full context. I think that's something we have a big problem with these days the sound bite. The quick tweet because though that statement is wrong no matter what. It is important to know what prompted such a statement.

In the end, this is all being blown out of proportion and if the parties involved have moved on so should we. The fact he faced no charges is all the information I need because they could have easily charged his a$$ up. I've seen people arrested for much less. Let us move on and let the kid prove his contrition and let him grow from it? And I think the same treatment should be extended to ANY of our players no matter their background when they are in a similar position. Give them a second chance and let it play out.
Egos made of eggshells also.

You are either completely out of touch with the military, are making assumptions, or basing your experiences on pre-80s military experiences. Degradation is not tolerated or applied outside of limited and sanctioned training purposes. If you spoke to a subordinate like Banks spoke to Law Enforcement in this video, your ass would be tanned quicker than a yankee on the beach in Florida. If you spoke to a superior like he did, your career would be over.

I left the navy in '97 but as I mentioned I spend quite a bit of time on base (NOB/NAS, Little Creek) as I still have family and friends in. The culture has changed very little at its core. There are certain commands that are more strict but in general, things that wouldn't be accepted at all in the civilian world are commonplace on base. It's the nature of the profession. Military, Law enforcement, Emergency medical etc there is a lot of pressure so a lot of steam gets blown off. The gallows humor you could say. Maybe you don't see it in officers mess but trust me its happening elsewhere all the time.

This is absolutely incorrect and wrong.

So a woman captured by the Taliban isn't going to be exposed to worse? A woman subject to the hate of locals who gets blown up by an IED isn't exposed to worse? Having a teenager yell crude things at her is worse than the stress of a combat convoy?

Thank you for your service. And yes, I'm aware of the "coddling"... I was a victim of reverse discrimination years ago that gave favored assignments in the Army to women and minorities. There was one guy whose scores were lower than me who just looked like a minority in his black and white photo... he was Caucasian.

But that wasn't the point. There are lines of work that women need to have thick skin to be in because at some point being "nice" and protecting their "feelings"... isn't going to limit what they experience.

You guys arguing doesn't matter. All that matters is that he will be given a second chance and will be on the team this spring. That's all that matters. We get a great player back and he is given a 2nd chance at his life. We should all support him and cheer for him on and off the field.

You guys arguing doesn't matter. All that matters is that he will be given a second chance and will be on the team this spring. That's all that matters. We get a great player back and he is given a 2nd chance at his life. We should all support him and cheer for him on and off the field.
I'm being completely honest. I hope he gets the chance and has paid a price for reasons bigger than football.

VN Store

Back