My little charity... needs families to adopt and donations.

The name of the charity is The Island of Misfit Toys. 5622 Central Ave, St. Petersburg, FL 33707. we're a Florida corporation and have our 501c3 status.

Let me see if we can take on anymore families, but I'll keep you in mind.

I just picked up a few Pumpkin & Apple pies at Swa-reys Bakery at 2105 Central Avenue in St.Petersburg. Have you been there?

Clearwater - thank you to you and your family for what you do. You will probably get a call from my DAF to verify information prior to my donation. Use the donation to help families in either Tenn or Fl.

Honestly go to your nearest nicu hospital floor and see if any newborns have been left in nicu and the nurses are left rocking them (and crying) This happened yesterday in a middle Tennessee hospital. Amazing animals this society raises to be parents.

Bravo man. I pray you're blessed for this, and the families appreciate your kindness.

I have been supremely blessed in life.

However, this is about making Christmas a reality for some families that are in a tight spot. I have personally spoken to one mother this year that we have agreed to adopt. In a tough spot due to some temporary bad luck, she has 3 kids and was planning to allow her phone to be turned off for a few weeks and use the $80 to make Christmas happen for her kids. She damn near brought me to tears. So, I do think they are very appreciative.

This is wonderful, it’s great knowing there are people in the world like you.
My daughter is a social worker who works with families that have kids in crisis for Pinellas County, she loves what she does.
I will check with her.
Edit: sorry, never mind, I forgot the title was labeled family in Knoxville.

Got any leads for me?

Reactions: vollygirl
couple of things:

I read through here but didn't see it mentioned - is there any easy way for others to make one time donations? ie, do you have a paypal account or similar that I could send like $100 or so? not a ton, but might add up if others chip in as well.

also, I thought of something that might be worth looking into for your charity. not sure if you've heard about or used it, but "amazon smile" lets charities register on there and customers can shop at smile.amazon.com and amazon will donate a small percentage (I think it's 0.5%) of the purchase to the charity. I figured if your charity is eligible (I don't know details on how that works but I think it just has to be a 503c??) and you registered it, people here that use amazon could support your charity by making purchases they'd make anyway

I found this which shows the listed charities: AmazonSmile Charity Lists

something that might be worth looking into if you haven't already. and if you have, please let us know so we can support it that way

edit: think this is the info on registering charities - AmazonSmile Org Central: Customers shop. Amazon gives.

Reactions: vollygirl
couple of things:

I read through here but didn't see it mentioned - is there any easy way for others to make one time donations? ie, do you have a paypal account or similar that I could send like $100 or so? not a ton, but might add up if others chip in as well.

also, I thought of something that might be worth looking into for your charity. not sure if you've heard about or used it, but "amazon smile" lets charities register on there and customers can shop at smile.amazon.com and amazon will donate a small percentage (I think it's 0.5%) of the purchase to the charity. I figured if your charity is eligible (I don't know details on how that works but I think it just has to be a 503c??) and you registered it, people here that use amazon could support your charity by making purchases they'd make anyway

I found this which shows the listed charities: AmazonSmile Charity Lists

something that might be worth looking into if you haven't already. and if you have, please let us know so we can support it that way

edit: think this is the info on registering charities - AmazonSmile Org Central: Customers shop. Amazon gives.

I have not registered there yet. I started the charity a little late this year. Hopefully, next year I can work throughout the year on it.

Checks can be sent to The Island of Misfit Toys, 5622 Central Ave, St. Petersburg, FL 33707

Also, I want to thank what I assume is a poster on this board. I received a check today from someone in Oklahoma. I don't want to toss out your real name in case you don't want that, but your donation has been received and is greatly appreciated.

I spoke to my wife and here are a couple of considerations (no names mentioned).

Family 1: Married couple with 4 children (ages 4 -15?)... my wife taught the two oldest. Father had a bad dirt bike accident in August and nearly severed his lower leg. Has had 4 surgeries and possibly going for another late December due to issues with all the pins/screws required. Has had diverticulitis and possible intestinal surgery due to all the antibiotics. He has always worked for himself so does not have short term disability, and has been out of work since the accident.

Family 2: Married couple with 2 children (9 and 12)... wife taught the oldest. Mom works as a substitute teacher and sells cosmetics, and husband operates heavy equipment and drives a truck. Both parents work hard but do not have much. The well they share with his mother (who they help support) has been broken for over a week and they do not have the money to fix it. They are living without running water so have been showering at friends houses, and filling up jugs of water to bring home.

Not sure if these are what you may have in mind, but these were the first two families that my wife thought of.

*UPDATE*

I have spoken with both mothers. Family 1 - We ordered their gifts and they will be delivered over the next 7 days.
Family 2 - We are looking at their list and will order tonight.

One more update, I registered on Amazon Smile. Choose this charity and Amazon will give a portion .5% of your purchases to The Island of Misfit Toys.

Amazon Sign-In
Done.

My wife heard from both families today, and said they were very excited and very thankful. One made the comment that it was like having a personal relationship with Santa!

This is wonderful, it’s great knowing there are people in the world like you.
My daughter is a social worker who works with families that have kids in crisis for Pinellas County, she loves what she does.
I will check with her.
Edit: sorry, never mind, I forgot the title was labeled family in Knoxville.

Got any leads for me?
My daughter has a family that she has in mind, I forwarded her your information. Thank you

My daughter has a family that she has in mind, I forwarded her your information. Thank you

That is my cell on the first page of this cell. Tell her to call me whenever it's convenient. The only thing I ask is that if I don't answer... Text, no vm!

Reactions: StarRaider
Update - The Island of Misfit Toys has adopted 15 children this Christmas and we have room for at least 10 more. We have taken on 8 in the East Tennessee area. Thank you for your support! Volunteers are awesome.

Reactions: IBlvNTmWrk
No, thank you for doing this. Are you headed up to Jax for the bowl game? We are driving up that day and spending that Thurs night and Fri at the beach. Maybe us Florida Vols can get together for a meet and greet?

I cannot. I am just coming back from vacation.

VN Store

Back