I-40 Bridge In Memphis

Pete is right on this. There are numerous studies that have shown infrastructure policy has been incredibly classist and racist over the years. Take a look at Robert Moses. And red-lining. Just to start.

Also, the repairs Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Arkansas failed to provide on their own are covered in this package.
how do the woke people expect the free ways to work?
go thru the completely undisturbed land way out from the cities? destroying environments, and leading to even more sprawl?
maybe they should go thru the nice parts of town so that large amounts of tax payer money goes back into the hands of the rich?
maybe it goes into the burbs, denying access to minority parts of town, and giving money to burbs and not the inner city?
There is always a way to complain about these issues.

as long as any infrastructure is going above ground its going to end up in the poor areas. nothings malicious about it.

Reactions: StarRaider
It's a matter of priority. Let's fix I-75 and I-40 before addressing racist highways.
40 from OKC to Albuquerque is in rough shape. parts of Memphis were bad, but that further stretch is just as bad but for hundreds of miles.

Any updates from those out in west tennessee?

Beginning repairs. No timeline. Starting to see significant congestion on I-55.

Both local governments in West Memphis and Memphis are incensed at ARDOT and TDOT. The bridge is just a continuation of decades long issues these cities have had with state agencies.

40 from OKC to Albuquerque is in rough shape. parts of Memphis were bad, but that further stretch is just as bad but for hundreds of miles.

Who is responsible for maintenance?

I know I-40 through East TN you can tell when you're entering a new county, just look for the sight tarmac change. I'll take Tennessee's interstate quality over anyone else's.

Beginning repairs. No timeline. Starting to see significant congestion on I-55.

Both local governments in West Memphis and Memphis are incensed at ARDOT and TDOT. The bridge is just a continuation of decades long issues these cities have had with state agencies.

How are things on i40 coming into Memphis from the east? I've got to head to downtown Memphis in a couple of weeks and I've heard the 240/40/ Sam Cooper interchange is a mess because 9f this. I'm thinking about jumping off the interstate early and taking the highway that turns into Summer Ave into town.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
How are things on i40 coming into Memphis from the east? I've got to head to downtown Memphis in a couple of weeks and I've heard the 240/40/ Sam Cooper interchange is a mess because 9f this. I'm thinking about jumping off the interstate early and taking the highway that turns into Summer Ave into town.
I think you’ll be ok. I take the south leg of 240 to work at the airport. The congestion starts somewhere past the highway 61 exit. If you take the 240 loop past Millbranch, you’ll probably be ok.

If you need to go to Arkansas from the East, take the north leg of 40/240. Get off on Madison exit and take Madison to Front or Riverside (This is right smack in the middle of downtown). Turn left on Riverside until you run into I-55. You will miss all the traffic on Mississippi Blvd and the south leg of 55.

I work in Downtown Memphis and the commute now is less than pre Covid (I live out in Lakeland, right off Exit 20).

This afternoon, traffic heading into Arkansas was backed up past 240/55 (almost to Airways)

Last edited:
Reactions: clarksvol00

I know I-40 through East TN you can tell when you're entering a new county, just look for the sight tarmac change. I'll take Tennessee's interstate quality over anyone else's.

Arkansas was responsible for bridge inspections and Tennessee was responsible for bridge maintenance. Neither agency did their job. Remember, Crittenden County, AR and Shelby County, TN are blue dots in deeply red states.

The state roads and interstates in TN are awesome outside of Shelby County. In Shelby County, there's potholes on TDOT maintained roads older than my kids...

TN maintenance is miles beyond what Texas considers well maintained. The roads here just suck.

Correction, the only roads worth a damn are the toll roads. Some of them are not cheap.

Try not to break any teeth between Arlington and Stage exits. Ride in the passing lane.

Reactions: clarksvol00
I think you’ll be ok. I take the south leg of 240 to work at the airport. The congestion starts somewhere past the highway 61 exit. If you take the 240 loop past Millbranch, you’ll probably be ok.

Honestly, If I can take Sam Cooper into the city, I'll do it. It'll give me a chance to stop for lunch at Cozy Corner or a Mexican spot in Overton Square that I love.

I am guessing like you said, the counties, or whoever patrols those roads.

GA puts TN to shame when it come to road quality
GDOT dont mess around. They resurface a mile of local roads in two nights. Strip it down, then resurface. No interruption, done out of the way where you hardly notice the change.

My understanding is they have a lot of benefits/damages written into their contracts.

Reactions: StarRaider
2020's best and worst states to drive in | American Trucker

America's highway systems ranked best to worst by state (cdllife.com)

There is a reason TN has such a high gas tax. They are very poor on completion though, and I would think traffic count plays a large part as well.
Meh, from what I understand (as a matter of fact, I may have learned it here on VN), TN doesn't do a lot of borrowing when it comes to road projects. So a lot of what TN does is pay as you go sounds like.

NC has the best system in the business. Very well maintained.

Meh, from what I understand (as a matter of fact, I may have learned it here on VN), TN doesn't do a lot of borrowing when it comes to road projects. So a lot of what TN does is pay as you go sounds like.
TN is one of only five states that doesn’t incur road debt.

VN Store

Back