Hypothetical scenario. Fixing the Vols

1vol8

Lets say Fulmer or Pruitt valued your personal opinion and called you for advise on how to fix the Vols the fastest. What's your answer?

Ps. Ive noticed these threads always seem to turn into a JG and/or o line bashing session. That is not the intention here. Constructive criticism is ok but let's remember we are ALL Vol Nation and be respectful.

Reactions: savannahfan
OK.. I'll bite. Tennessee has great facilities - that's not the problem. The demolition of Stokely and Gibbs halls as well as the indoor practice facility is top notch. The academic counseling with Dr. Joe Scroggins and the Thornton center is enough to sway the parent of any recruit. We are in pretty good shape in those departments.

What is lacking? There is an old theory that the games are won in the off season. Strength and conditioning, learning the playbook. Impromptu pickup practices, like 7 on 7. Refer to Kongbo's exit interview. Pruitt has the team in skull sessions every day, whereas Butch only thought necessary to do twice a week. It's the little things. Practice makes perfect. Physical conditioning takes you to the 4th quarter without your legs giving out.

Ainge said he knew we were in deep s$t the season we opened with App State. The linemen showed up for fall camp in horrible condition. THAT is the time of year they should be in the best condition.

One more quote, and I apologize in advance for quoting Bear Bryant, but there is truth here and it attributed to some of his success. He had hard practices. A reporter asked him why and he said "If a boy is going to quit on me, I'd rather see him do it in a practice than in a game". Granted, the NCAA has throttled back on hard practices, but it still needs to be harder than it was in previous coaching staffs.

The right assistants is also needed. Some good changes were made after 2018, so we shall see.

I don't think I could tell them anything that they don't already know.

I guess if I had to give one piece of advice (and it's a piece of advice that Pruitt may have already taken this offseason), it's for Pruitt to trust his assistants. He's got the best staff we've had since the golden years of the 90s and early 00s. We have the pieces to be successful if Pruitt trusts them. Pruitt tried to micromanage at times last season to his detriment.
Seems to be learning from his mistakes, though.

Build from the inside out . Physical guys who will always let the other team know they just played a team they don’t want to play again that season.

On the flip side of that equation you need guys who can run. You can teach guys to maintain their body effectively by getting bigger or smaller, fundamentals of the game, how to practice and watch film, but you can’t really teach speed.

I don't think I could tell them anything that they don't already know.

I guess if I had to give one piece of advice (and it's a piece of advice that Pruitt may have already taken this offseason), it's for Pruitt to trust his assistants. He's got the best staff we've had since the golden years of the 90s and early 00s. We have the pieces to be successful if Pruitt trusts them. Pruitt tried to micromanage at times last season to his detriment.
Seems to be learning from his mistakes, though.
There's no doubt that the coaching staff is a step ahead of anyone that responds. That's why they make money doing what they do while most of us sit at home and complain that they don't see things the same way we do.

I doubt there's anything I know that the guys making a million plus a year don't know.
I agree. I just started the thread because on others there are quite a few opinions on Pruitt. So this is here for those that feel that way to express in detail how they would fix it. Never know..... someone might have a great idea that not many people are thinking about. Could be interesting

No one is forcing anyone to respond.

Easy - keep building the Tennessee bagman network bigger and stronger than ever. There's simply no reason the network has grown this weak, other than the leadership infrastrucure has deteroriated. That falls back on the top. He must find avenues to rebuild it and make it tops in the country. No more playing catch up.

The players need to make better use of their “free time”.

Weight room, film room and practice field is where our guys should spending their free time.

If I had any good advice or thoughts, other that what I believe the experienced members on this staff had to offer, I’d be making the big money myself.

So....
Find a cash cow and shower 5*s in $1000’s until we have perpetual #1 recruiting classes.

Not legal, not fair, but that’s why I’m on a message board instead of coaching.

Reactions: tobybeast and McDad
1. The team that makes the fewest mistakes will win.
2. Play for and make the breaks and when one comes your way - SCORE.

3. If at first the game - or the breaks - go against you, don't let up... put on more steam.

4. Protect our kickers, our QB, our lead and our ball game.

5. Ball, oskie, cover, block, cut and slice, pursue and gang tackle... for this is the WINNING EDGE.

6. Press the kicking game. Here is where the breaks are made.

7. Carry the fight to our opponent and keep it there for 60 minutes.

No more on side kicks . We are OH for under this regime. Just do it at end of game with basically no time l. This and some of the other good ideas in this thread. All 2 of them.

Reactions: 08Vol

VN Store

Back