Hypocrites Gonna Hypocrit

Players can't but coaches can?

1. Andy Bitter @AndyBitterVT
Fuente said #Hokies won't be taking anyone back who entered the transfer portal this offseason. Said they talked about it as a staff and came to that decision.

2. Alex Putterman @AlexPutterman
Randy Edsall says he doesn't want players from the transfer portal, because they often "think they're enabled and entitled." "I'd rather go with high-school kids of junior-college guys. Guys going into the portal, they've got issues. That's why they're going into the portal."

Source:
In Randy Edsall's defense...this statement is probably true for him. Any player that would trying to go Connecticut in the portal PROBABLY has burned a lot of bridges and is out of options.

Most athletic scholarships as someone else mentioned is for one year. Sabin and others use to over recruit Freshman and not renew scholarships if they could recruit better players so where is the schools commitment to the players? The cuttent scholarship rules were written to make that situation better but it is still a year to year commitment on the part of the school.

The coaches that leave are not violating their contracts and schools that “fire” their coach are not violating contracts. There is a buyout clause in the contract that either party can use. If the school does not want the coach to exercise the buyout clause, then get rid of it and then if he leaves early, you can say he violated the contract.

If a coach gets fired for just cause, I guess you could say he didn’t honor his commitment.

ABSOLUTELY. I know a coach can always say "you sign with the school", but for these student/athletes, the coaches ARE their vision of the school, and I don't know what the rules are, but if a HC leaves, within a certain period of time, recruits should be able to opt out. My daughter is a lower level D1 swimmer, and even for a minor sport, the coach helps craft the culture of their collegiate experience.
No question. Kids these days for the most part don’t sign for the love of the school like it was in the old days. They sign because of the relationship with a coach. It’s all about personality and how quick they think they can play.

Reactions: tennvols77
So, if I was working at a Company and I felt like another Company was a better fit for me professionally, does that make me enabled or entitled if I switch jobs?

I'll take a stab....If you left McDonalds for Hardys I would say you are enabled. If you left McDonalds to work in a whore house I would say you were entitled!

Reactions: Big Al Orange
the hipocracy is he interviewed for the Baylor job like 2 weeks ago. I think it's a stupid policy ftr.

However, coaches are the only ones who are criticized for taking a better fitting, usually better paying job. If none of yall have ever looked for a better paying job, y'all are not the good old boys (and girls) I thought y all were.

Fuente said #Hokies won't be taking anyone back who entered the transfer portal this offseason. Said they talked about it as a staff and came to that decision.

Randy Edsall says he doesn't want players from the transfer portal, because they often "think they're enabled and entitled." "I'd rather go with high-school kids of junior-college guys. Guys going into the portal, they've got issues. That's why they're going into the portal."

Source:
I would take a grad assistant if he/she would provide needed help at a specific position. Thaking someone from the protal would require much more information. I think getting Mays from UGa was a good move.

I would take a grad assistant if he/she would provide needed help at a specific position. Thaking someone from the protal would require much more information. I think getting Mays from UGa was a good move.

Me? Just passing along what I saw on a site. But I do think coaches who leave at whim for reasons other than being fired or working in a hostile environment are hypocrites to deny players using the portal for their betterment. No difference the way I see it.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
I can’t believe I’m doing this. I’ve never used the phrase “Ok Boomer” before and I doubt i will again, but I think it might be applicable to Randy here.
So to Randy Edsall... OK Boomer.

I guess the point of the OP is that these same coaches "transferred" jobs (for varying reasons and better opportunities), but speak lowly of players in the transfer portal. Nothing wrong with that take.

When the unlimited money can be paid to players for the use of their likeness-the portal is going to get so busy, it will be more like a subway station in NY. Coaches need to prepare for what is coming, and do so now. Thanks commmiefornia. But look at the bright side, we'll be watching professional football, for the cost of a NCAA game!

OP needs to look up the definition of hypocrite.

The hypocrisy is coaches being able to move anytime they like and players having to sit out a year unless they get a waiver.

Because having a job and changing jobs is exactly like going to a school and changing schools.

Are they also hypocrites if they think that people should not change their shoes during the middle of the day?

This thread is wack, like all the threads from this guy.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman

Because having a job and changing jobs is exactly like going to a school and changing schools.

Are they also hypocrites if they think that people should not change their shoes during the middle of the day?

I believe the OP started a good thread and it does demonstrate the hypocrisy of a few coaches. Fuentes at VT is not a popular coach within the Hokies fan base at the moment.

I believe the OP started a good thread and it does demonstrate the hypocrisy of a few coaches. Fuentes at VT is not a popular coach within the Hokies fan base at the moment.
That's because he sucks and he's a dick. He's Butch Jones without the catchphrases.

Couldn't happen to a better fanbase and school. I really hate it for them.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman

Source:
Pretty sure Fuente just turned down a pretty good offer to stay at VT. I think if coaches are being honest with players and insuring their success that they should be free to say such things. There are obviously programs telling kids BS and not doing them right. The portal should help programs that are doing it right. I think kids are to prone to transfer when things are tough.

Pretty sure Fuente just turned down a pretty good offer to stay at VT. I think if coaches are being honest with players and insuring their success that they should be free to say such things. There are obviously programs telling kids BS and not doing them right. The portal should help programs that are doing it right. I think kids are to prone to transfer when things are tough.

Mostly I agree with your post. There are sure to be various factors that play into the transfer portal and coach privilege to leave a program at whim. I tend to be a what's good for the goose is good for the gander sort of guy. Still, I think you're mainly on the money in what you say here. Then there is that spiteful Harabaugh guy at Michigan who impeded Aubrey.

Last edited:
Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
A good coach with a CEO attitude would evaluate on an individual basis. I'm sure a lot of these guys are truly head cases or trouble that enter the portal. But I also imagine that a lot of these kids were lied to in the recruiting process or take an honest assessment of their situation and realize the best thing they can do for themselves and maybe even the school they are at is transfer.

If this is Fuente's attitude moving forward I imagine he will be getting paid a lot of money to not coach shortly.

I would answer you but I have no clue what you just said. What does changing shoes have to do with this subject? Again, any coach that whines about a player wanting to leave a school is an absolute hypocrite when they can bail at any time like Mel Tucker just did. I don’t have to look any further than that for an example.

That's because he sucks and he's a dick. He's Butch Jones without the catchphrases.

Couldn't happen to a better fanbase and school. I really hate it for them.
Can't get much lower than, "He's butch jones without the catchphrases", he must be at least 1% better than that-at least I hope he is, as I don't think there could be two that bad! This, of course, does not include those that still have an unnatural man crush on boy butch....but that is different.

Not seeing hypocrisy on movement. Seeing folks express an opinion on players entering the portal and if they do, stay gone. Maybe I'm missing the point?

I definitely see the hypocrisy in it. I get what the coaches are saying, but every coach on the planet kicks the tires on better opportunities during the off-season. Then when they either don't get another opportunity or don't find one they think is better, they return to their regular job like nothing happened. And the players many times know this since job interest becomes public. But the coaches go right on their way like nothing happened. So yes, there's some hypocrisy when they get upset that a player looked into a better opportunity and decided to come back.

Do as I say, not as I do, and all that.

A finger in a folding chair.
His father, UT Alumni, Kevin Mays, had part of his finger severed, in a folding chair incident. He is currently in litigation, against The University of Georgia.

VN Store

Back