Hypesman Trophy tonight

at least 4 Vols have finished #2 in Heisman voting.

Hank lauricella (compare his stats to the winner and tell me he shouldn't have won it:
1951 Heisman Trophy Voting | College Football at Sports-Reference.com)
Johnny Majors
Heath shuler
Peyton Manning.

George Cafego finished 4th in 1939

I know there's some other Vols who have been finalists but they didnt finish 2nd, if I remember correctly.

Anyone else NOT gonna watch the Heistman tonight?
I have not watched it, kept up with it, or been the least bit interested in it since the great Heistman event. Totally meaningless as to who wins it; just “political”, good old boy, agenda driven, whatever.

Reactions: Rickster

Hank lauricella (compare his stats to the winner and tell me he shouldn't have won it:
Johnny Majors
Heath shuler
Peyton Manning.

I know there's some other Vols who have been finalists but they didnt finish 2nd, if I remember correctly.

Haven't watched it in 20 years.

May be wrong, but I think the last 5 are starting tomorrow

The last Heisman winner that might be worthy of NFL Hall of Fame is 1997 Charles Woodson and he is not definitely deserving but might get in
NFL: Bradford, Ingram, Scam Newton, Winston, Henry, Baker Mayfield. & Mariota
(RG III) on roster and rides the bench.

Based on pro careers, I will say Peyton was robbed.
Based on pro careers, did Majors even play in the NFL? Hornung was a 1 man team in college playing offense and defense. In addition to leading his team in most offensive categories, he also led in punt returns, punting, and on defense he was 2nd on interceptions and tackles.
You could also say Majors was just a product of the system (like some of you are saying about Oklahoma). Tennessee was the last team in the SEC still playing the single wing.

I guess most telling for me would be how they are drafted by the NFL but that’s just me.

ND was 2-8 when PH won that pos trophy.

Michigan put on a publicity campaign blitz for Woodson which probably is unmatched to this day.

That wasn’t remotely what did it for Woodson. ESPN and other national media made it their life’s mission to get that trophy for Woodson .....Michigan’s Heisman campaign for Woodson paled by comparison. It was the poor northern black kid vs the privileged southern white kid. Manning had a 500+ yard and 4td day and lost ground to Woodson when he had a good game vs Ohio State (1 interception, 1 reception and his only punt return for a touchdown that season and college career).

Johnny Majors
Heath shuler
Peyton Manning.

I couldn't care less about it

Based on pro careers, I will say Peyton was robbed.
Based on pro careers, did Majors even play in the NFL? Hornung was a 1 man team in college playing offense and defense. In addition to leading his team in most offensive categories, he also led in punt returns, punting, and on defense he was 2nd on interceptions and tackles.
You could also say Majors was just a product of the system (like some of you are saying about Oklahoma). Tennessee was the last team in the SEC still playing the single wing.

I guess most telling for me would be how they are drafted by the NFL but that’s just me.

Heisman trophy has nothing to do with nfl careers.

I think woodson is definitely deserving.
Of the NFL HOF, I agree. Had an outstanding nfl career.

I dont, however, believe he had any business winning the Heisman in 1997. 11 pass receptions, 7 interceptions and a 8.5 yard punt return average shouldn’t have, and wouldn’t have gotten him any Heisman consideration if not for the media campaign ESPN and others ran for him. They kept pushing the narrative harder and harder and the momentum kept growing, until Woodson was gonna win pretty much no matter what. Doesn’t anybody think it interesting that no defensive player won it before Woodson and pretty much no defensive player has even been seriously considered since?

Also, recall that those same media folks schilling for Woodson, kept raising the false flag that Manning shouldn’t win the Heisman based on his CAREER at Tennessee....despite a season that saw him lead his team to a 11-1 record and the SEC title while throwing for 3700+ yards and 36 tds.

I dont, however, believe he had any business winning the Heisman in 1997. 11 pass receptions, 7 interceptions and a 8.5 yard punt return average shouldn’t have, and wouldn’t have gotten him any Heisman consideration if not for the media campaign ESPN and others ran for him. They kept pushing the narrative harder and harder and the momentum kept growing, until Woodson was gonna win pretty much no matter what. Doesn’t anybody think it interesting that no defensive player won it before Woodson and pretty much no defensive player has even been seriously considered since?

Also, recall that those same media folks schilling for Woodson, kept raising the false flag that Manning shouldn’t win the Heisman based on his CAREER at Tennessee....despite a season that saw him lead his team to a 11-1 record and the SEC title while throwing for 3700+ yards and 36 tds.

It was partly the campaign for Woodson, but there was also a big push for Ryan Leaf, which ended up chipping into the Manning totals.

And Danny Weurffel has won it the year before. There was kind of a “anyone but another SEC QB” feel to the whole thing.

It was my birthday the night Peyton got robbed. I was 27 and cried like a baby. Vowed to never watch again unless I had a family member there. Also vowed to piss on the side of the Downtown athletic club. Going to New York for the first time this spring. Bail money is saved!
May you pee high and wide brave possum. Tell um Big Al sent you.

Reactions: Smallvol#1

Who was the GA defensive guy that had better stats the Woodson. Bailey I believe. Only person that should have been close to Peyton.

What's this "Heisman award" the media speaks of???????????????????

It was partly the campaign for Woodson, but there was also a big push for Ryan Leaf, which ended up chipping into the Manning totals.

And Danny Weurffel has won it the year before. There was kind of a “anyone but another SEC QB” feel to the whole thing.

Jason Whitlock on the Sports Reporters the following morning confirmed what you said. He said something to the effect of, "there was no way the voters were going to give back to back Heisman's to 2 white qb's from the SEC."

Now we back to back winners from the same team (USC and OU).

Is the report from Barstool true that about 12 former Heisman winners didn't have Tua on their ballots at all?

VN Store

Back