Hyams states the Obvious

Freak,

Well, I tend to agree. Our OL was not very good this year.

However, I think if we read between the lines, we can figure out what's going on: OUR RUNNING BACKS ARE TERRIBLE! Not decent. They're bad, at least for SEC standards.

Of course, that doesn't say much about our terrible pass protection and blown assignments. But then again, when you can't run it very well, that bleeds over into your passing game and protection.

8 of 10? That's a little too close to 10 of 10 for my taste. And seeing as how this is one of our worst OL in the last 15 years, 8 seems bit optimistic.

BTW, didn't Fulmer and Stephens say they thought this might be one of the best lines in Tennessee history? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.......HA!

WHAT IN THE WORLD WERE THEY LOOKING AT?

-VS

Fulmer said that multiple times Vol-Star. You have to wonder what line they were looking at.

I tend to agree that our backs are not very good, but it is hard to believe that these guys are that bad. Houston, Davis, Tinsley and Riggs were all very highly rated out of high school. What are the odds that 4 top guys like these would ALL be busts?

Yup. I have been wondering all year why they wouldn't give Tinsley a shot at RB - his natural position. When they moved him to a position he WASN'T GOOD AT and DIDN'T LIKE, I believe they were presupposing that Houston and Davis were viable backs. Obviously, that didn't turn out to be the case. What's more, after the Florida game, Fulmer called Davis a "big-time back."

A GREAT RB really makes our offense go. We really need one badly right now - in spite of good or bad coaching or anything else.

Parcells once said that if you want a good running game, give him a great RB. It all starts there. I would settle for a little better line play and a good RB, i.e. Travis Stephens.

BTW, how many times in the last 10 years have we heard how good our OL would be, only to find them perform average? Seems like a lot to me. Moreover, how many times after a game have we heard, after getting completely dumped on by the another defense's blitzes, that "they really didn't do anything we hadn't planned for." That is, of course, after we give up about 6 sacks and have 50 yards rushing (see Auburn game).

-VS

I agree that the running game makes this team go. Tennessee football means rushing for over 200 yards a game. I miss those days.

VN Store

Back