Huge fight involving Kansas [could impact our game with them Saturday]

rule change that might help prevent this kind of stuff from happening:

If the lead is >15 with under 30 seconds left, the game clock immediately goes to 0:00 and the horn sounds, ending the game. Then you don't have the awkward dribble-out where the players could potentially let emotions get the best of them.

Also, if the Big 12/school determine that several players (like more than 3-4) deserve a suspension, they might agree to stagger them. It's not in the best interest for the Big 12, Kansas, or ESPN for them to have to forfeit a game.

If the lead is >15 with under 30 seconds left, the game clock immediately goes to 0:00 and the horn sounds, ending the game. Then you don't have the awkward dribble-out where the players could potentially let emotions get the best of them.
Wouldn't it just happen 30 seconds earlier?

Or just show sportsmanship & composure like the majority of other college basketball teams.

NCAA Rule regarding fightiing.

"Art. 11. The first time an individual participates in a fight during the season (including exhibition games), the individual shall be suspended from participating in the team’s next regular-season game (not an exhibition contest), including tournament competition."

My guess is that there will be waves of suspensions in 2-4 player rotations.

I see at least 3 players being suspended for the game (or at least it should be).

We know Sosa will be but his 8 minutes and 2-3 points won’t make or break this game....However if Garrett and McCormac are suspended......Tennessee really needs to win this game.

Kansas will be tough regardless, but Tennessee could really use a win like this.....and I really don’t want to see a loss with it in everyone’s head....Tennessee lost and Kansas was down 3 players (two of their 5 best players).

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Per the actual rules, even coaches are supposed to be suspended if they weren't called into the fight area by officials. Everyone who left the bench is supposed to be suspended as well as you are considered a participant in the fight at that point. I think Kansas' entire bench was ejected. Not sure who finished on the court but they may be the only ones not suspended over this. The rules also explicitly call for the suspension the next game and say there is no wiggle room around it. Kansas may have to dress some walkons to field a team if the NCAA follows it's own rules.

Per the actual rules, even coaches are supposed to be suspended if they weren't called into the fight area by officials. Everyone who left the bench is supposed to be suspended as well as you are considered a participant in the fight at that point. I think Kansas' entire bench was ejected. Not sure who finished on the court but they may be the only ones not suspended over this. The rules also explicitly call for the suspension the next game and say there is no wiggle room around it. Kansas may have to dress some walkons to field a team if the NCAA follows it's own rules.

That would work if the AA wasn’t interested in one thing: profits

I’d be damn shocked if ole bar stool got more than a game or two and everyone else got a half suspension if anything at all.

Reactions: knucklehead_vol
That would work if the AA wasn’t interested in one thing: profits

I’d be damn shocked if ole bar stool got more than a game or two and everyone else got a half suspension if anything at all.

I figure he'll get 6+ games, he's not a difference maker for them and they can act tough. For us, only the next game rule will affect us and if they follow it, I don't see how Kansas doesn't lose multiple players for our game.

While I'm not trying to downplay last night and realize things like the chair and spilling into the crowd is bad, I still laugh a bit at how fighting/brawls are viewed so differently between sports. When it's a brawl in football or basketball, the media and talking heads in general seem to act like it's a crime against humanity. When it's baseball or hockey it's "Hey! Check out the fight!"

Reactions: pimo1
I'm shocked he actually made that move before the Big 12 or NCAA forced him to.
It’s smart. De Sousa doesn’t matter much, so it makes Self look like he’s being proactive. Meanwhile, if the NCAA doesn’t force his hand on the others, he can say that their punishment will be handled “internally” and perhaps avoid losing them for any future games.

VN Store

Back