Huge Cyber Attack Today

Saw some Anonymous guys claiming credit but they don't have that kind of power

Lol, you do know how simple (within the scope of hackers) how easy a DDoS attack is to carry out right? They hit a perfect target in the DYN DNS that handles a ton of sites.

Lol, you do know how simple (within the scope of hackers) how easy a DDoS attack is to carry out right? They hit a perfect target in the DYN DNS that handles a ton of sites.

No I admit that is not my area at all...have we had any of this magnitude before?

No I admit that is not my area at all...have we had any of this magnitude before?

Yes and worse. On top of that this isn't a "hack" that takes any information. It's simply an annoyance right now but also a method that whoever is doing it to gage Internet security for a future real attack with data retrieval

those dang hackers knocked out the battlefield 1 servers on opening day! "cant we just drone these guys"

those dang hackers knocked out the battlefield 1 servers on opening day! "cant we just drone these guys"

Didn't really knock out their servers. They knocked out the DYN DNS which Playstation Network uses. Has nothing to do with BF, EA, or really PSN directly.

From what I understand denial of service is just a brute force type of thing. You have enough 400 lb men and it's easy to do

I have the theory that all such attacks are by people who then sell their services to prevent such attacks.

If I'm CEO of Twitter and some company calls me in the next 3 weeks claiming to be able to stop this, I'm investigating them to the hilt.

Reactions: 1 person
I have the theory that all such attacks are by people who then sell their services to prevent such attacks.

If I'm CEO of Twitter and some company calls me in the next 3 weeks claiming to be able to stop this, I'm investigating them to the hilt.

makes sense...My aunt called me once to come help her. She said that her computer popped up with a message that she was infected and to call a number...she was like they are from Microsoft and they can fix it but I have to pay them with a credit card...I told her to hang up...we fixed it with RKill and Malwarebytes

Well you being a CEO isn't something you have to worry about.

My Comcast never went down today

I think it affected some more than others

More than a dozen major websites experienced outages and other technical problems, according to user reports and the web-tracking site downdetector.com. They included The New York Times, Twitter, Pinterest, Reddit, GitHub, Etsy, Tumblr, Spotify, PayPal, Verizon, Comcast, EA, the Playstation network, and others.
How was it possible to take down all those sites at once?

When the Entire Internet Seems to Break At Once - The Atlantic

I think it affected some more than others

More than a dozen major websites experienced outages and other technical problems, according to user reports and the web-tracking site downdetector.com. They included The New York Times, Twitter, Pinterest, Reddit, GitHub, Etsy, Tumblr, Spotify, PayPal, Verizon, Comcast, EA, the Playstation network, and others.
How was it possible to take down all those sites at once?

When the Entire Internet Seems to Break At Once - The Atlantic

as long as its not during a Vols game or there will be hell to pay

Reactions: 2 people
pretty good summary here

The source code for*Mirai was released on the*so-called dark web,*sites that operate as a sort of online underground for hackers,*at the beginning of the month. The release led*some security experts to suggest it would soon be widely used by hackers. That appears to have happened in this case.
Dyn is getting “tens of millions” of messages from around the globe sent by seemingly harmless but Internet-connected devices.
“It could be your DVR, it could be a CCTV camera, a thermostat.*I even saw an Internet-connected toaster on Kickstarter yesterday,"**said York.
The complexity and breadth of the multiple attack points makes it*difficult to fight, because it's hard to distinguish legitimate traffic from botnet traffic.

East coast Internet service attack resolved

Your post reminded me of this. Every single time I make a political post of Facebook, it's followed within an hour of a friend request from someone like this. I'm not a big conspiracy guy, but that's just a little odd in my book. They're watching me😜

Prolly linked to your browsi g history.

Is she "barely 18?"

No way this is the Russians.

If they truly wanted to keep Hillary out of office they wouldn't be pulling stunts like this, only providing more fodder to our corrupt politicians. If I were to wager I'd say this is self-inflicted. But don't worry - our trustworthy media will get to the bottom of it and report the truth.

Can't be the Russians..Putin is WikiLeaks and Twitter is how he is releasing his friend Trump's material. Probably just some kids having a good time.

Waves of cyber attacks hit Netflix, Spotify, Twitter

Or perhaps it's retaliation for us cutting Assange, publicly threatening Putin with a cyberattack, and arresting a top Russian hacker, possibly responsible for the DNC hacks, in Prague.

I know some of you will respond with the typical "there's crazy volprof ranting his lunacy again," but I honestly think we're at war right now with the Russians. If this attack was Russian, it is a war. It's mostly cyber in nature at the moment, and it may very well just stay that way, but this was a next-level attack. If it was Russian, it was most likely done in retaliation to the things I just mentioned above, possibly as a cyber equivalent of its current stated nuclear weapons policy of "de-escalation." The Russian thinking is that it can escalate to a place that the US simply isn't willing; therefore, the US will stand down.

Whether this war goes full-scale cyberwar or even turns physical, I have no clue. It could remain at the level it currently is indefinitely. Too many variables at play to predict.

The next few months, especially between now and Jan. 20, are going to be among the most pivotal in American history. We cannot make a false step.

VN Store

Back