Huge Cyber Attack Today

I know some of you will respond with the typical "there's crazy volprof ranting his lunacy again," but I honestly think we're at war right now with the Russians. If this attack was Russian, it is a war. It's mostly cyber in nature at the moment, and it may very well just stay that way, but this was a next-level attack. If it was Russian, it was most likely done in retaliation to the things I just mentioned above, possibly as a cyber equivalent of its current stated nuclear weapons policy of "de-escalation." The Russian thinking is that it can escalate to a place that the US simply isn't willing; therefore, the US will stand down.

Whether this war goes full-scale cyberwar or even turns physical, I have no clue. It could remain at the level it currently is indefinitely. Too many variables at play to predict.

The next few months, especially between now and Jan. 20, are going to be among the most pivotal in American history. We cannot make a false step.

Not entirely crazy but some of these attacks are internal.

Apparently an American vigilante hacker, claiming not to be affiliated with the US government, hacked the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs website yesterday, placing a warning on its page to essentially back down. The hacker goes by the name "The Jester."

The Russian MFA - in typical Kremlin fashion - has waffled, claiming it was an old site that was hacked to now claiming the hack never occurred at all.

This cyberwar gets more interesting by the day. Let's hope cooler heads prevail, because such a conflict - taken to the extreme - has all the potential to be as bad as a nuclear conflict.

Apparently an American vigilante hacker, claiming not to be affiliated with the US government, hacked the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs website yesterday, placing a warning on its page to essentially back down. The hacker goes by the name "The Jester."

The Russian MFA - in typical Kremlin fashion - has waffled, claiming it was an old site that was hacked to now claiming the hack never occurred at all.

This cyberwar gets more interesting by the day. Let's hope cooler heads prevail, because such a conflict - taken to the extreme - has all the potential to be as bad as a nuclear conflict.

Maybe I'm just a conspiracy nut but I assumed that everyone was doing this all the time but it's just more public now.

Maybe I'm just a conspiracy nut but I assumed that everyone was doing this all the time but it's just more public now.

Very few people care enough about things like "privacy," "justice," taking down Big Business, or what-have-you, to take the time and effort to penetrate things like DNC internal communications, the Russian MFA, or half of the American Internet (almost exclusively), without the sponsorship of a state's intelligence services.

if it wasn't for the mass chaos I would love to see what the US looked like with one day of no internet. heck, they could even announce it, talk about eating popcorn.

I wonder how Akamai Technologies weathered the attack? Were they hit or did they stay online therefore creating opportunities to sell more CDN and cloud services?

Edit... from the Atlantic link:
A spokesman for Akamai said none of its customers were affected by Friday’s attack.

Last edited:
New Orleans Declares State Of Emergency Following Cyber Attack

The attack started at 5 a.m. CST on Friday, December 13, according to the City of New Orleans’ emergency preparedness campaign, NOLA Ready, managed by the Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness. NOLA Ready tweeted that "suspicious activity was detected on the City’s network," and as investigations progressed, "activity indicating a cybersecurity incident was detected around 11 am." As a precautionary measure, the NOLA tweet confirmed, the City’s IT department gave the order for all employees to power down computers and disconnect from Wi-Fi. All City servers were also powered down, and employees told to unplug any of their devices.

The attack started at 5 a.m. CST on Friday, December 13, according to the City of New Orleans’ emergency preparedness campaign, NOLA Ready, managed by the Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness. NOLA Ready tweeted that "suspicious activity was detected on the City’s network," and as investigations progressed, "activity indicating a cybersecurity incident was detected around 11 am." As a precautionary measure, the NOLA tweet confirmed, the City’s IT department gave the order for all employees to power down computers and disconnect from Wi-Fi. All City servers were also powered down, and employees told to unplug any of their devices.

Are they the City that is using Huawei ?

This is seems very familiar to a recent episode of NCIS: New Orleans. When a hacker tried to blackmale the mayor & city. He hacked into the city's infrastructure causing natural gas explosions.

S6, EP7
BOOM-BOOM-BOOM-BOOM

First Aired: November 12, 2019

After a natural gas explosion at a movie theater, the NCIS team discovers the gas company has been hacked and more explosions could be triggered.

The New Orleans thing was a ransomware attack. Typically ransomware attacks happen on computers that are not updated and/or don't have sufficient virus/malware protection.

VN Store

Back