How's the new turf field holding up?

TechnoVol

I've seen a few pictures recently where it looks like it's showing some wear on the brown infield part where the infielders are positioned etc.

I've noticed on TV that the dirt portion of the baseball field kind of glistens. Saw the same thing on Kentucky's field. Does anyone know if this is some kind of "artificial dirt" or are my eyes deceiving me?

After playing the game for 30+ years the new turf is nice and come a long way from the old astro turf. The old astroturf was just a concrete floor with green carpet. The new turf affords very few rainouts, less injuries( compared to old turf) and true bounces. However, real dirt is much more my style. Something about digging in with metal cleats into the ground feels better than turf.

To answer the question, I have not seen any wear sports at LNS but I would not be surprised. The new turf is good but not indestructible.

We were in Morgantown at WVU this past weekend. They have stadium with an artificial surface. The school and a low A team share the facility, so it gets more use than Tennessee’s. The batters boxes and the catcher’s area has been replaced. The park opened in April 2015.

We were in Morgantown at WVU this past weekend. They have stadium with an artificial surface. The school and a low A team share the facility, so it gets more use than Tennessee’s. The batters boxes and the catcher’s area has been replaced. The park opened in April 2015.

Yeah the new turf is not indestructible. I have played at the Cal Ripken Complex since 2005 and they have quite a bit of "maintenance." When I first started playing they had dirt at the dish and pitchers mound. We still wore metal cleats and within 3 years ripped a hole in front of 2nd base. Within the last couple of years they have installed turf at the dish, which almost immediately led to holes and sore knees, at least for me. With all the new turf, I would imagine lots of kids(21 or younger) are wearing more turf shoes. I just have a hard time playing in anything but metal cleats. I dunno though yall probably know more about that than me.

This is what I was talking about when I posted. Notice how the artificial turf between 1st and 2nd base looks worn. Also around the home plate area.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 5.29.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-05 at 5.29.38 PM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 35
TV may have something to do with the “sheen” you are seeing around the base-paths, in person the turf looks great.

There is no question, at some point certain areas with high traffic will need to be replaced.

Reactions: StarRaider
My kid plays on as many turf fields as grass ones in the summer. They don't allow metal spikes on any of them. Some have dirt mounds, some don't. I would have been in the grass and dirt category a few years ago, but after seeing how it plays and talking to the kids that play on it, I think it's the only way to go for college baseball if you want to get games in. There are different types of course and the technology is always changing, but what I've noticed is 'worn' turf has more of the black pellets showing than a sheen. The stuff is made of plastic. It's got a shine to it.

My kid plays on as many turf fields as grass ones in the summer. They don't allow metal spikes on any of them. Some have dirt mounds, some don't. I would have been in the grass and dirt category a few years ago, but after seeing how it plays and talking to the kids that play on it, I think it's the only way to go for college baseball if you want to get games in. There are different types of course and the technology is always changing, but what I've noticed is 'worn' turf has more of the black pellets showing than a sheen. The stuff is made of plastic. It's got a shine to it.

I think you are mistaken if I understand you correctly. Turf fields that have dirt mounds have to allow pitchers to wear more than turfs.

VN Store

Back