How would you like to see the SEC do scheduling moving forward?

EAST: UT, USC, UK, UGA
SOUTH: Bama, UF, Auburn, Ole Miss
WEST: Miss St, aTm, Mizzou, LSU
NORTH: Texas, OU, Arkansas, Vandy

3 in pod games
2 rotating games from each pod
= 9 SEC games.

Add three more out of conference games of the schools choice.

—————-

Sample UT schedule.
UK
USC
UGA
Ole Miss
Alabama
Texas A&M
Missouri
Texas
Vanderbilt
OOC cupcake
OOC cupcake
OOC cupcake

Last edited:
I want us playing everybody in the conference. Not the same few teams every year.
If you have divisions, it is really two conferences.
Pods is a little better, but every pod grouping I have seen is unbalanced because Mizz, Vandy, and UK tend to be weak, and often USCe too. So if you slice it North or NE or whatever some pod or two are weak.
I want everybody playing everybody like the NFL. It works. It produces better teams and better games.
Yeah, I suppose you could go to no pods or divisions, and schedule like NFL...where you finished the prior year determines your SOS for the next year. Nick wouldn't let that happen, and they'll never get rid of some of the rivalries...which really aren't rivalries any more.

Instead of the "step ladder" approach proposed above, rotate two teams every year. In four years, you play everybody (this is assuming the teams listed below would comprise the West Division).
Year 1 - LSU (away), Arkansas (home)
Year 2 - Miss State (away), Ole Miss (home)
Year 3 - Oklahoma (away), Texas (home)
Year 4 - Missouri (away), Texas A&M (home)

Year 5 - Arkansas (away), LSU (home)
Year 6 - Ole Miss (away), Miss State (home)
Year 7 - Texas (away), Oklahoma (home)
Year 8 - Texas A&M (away), Missouri (home)

Only "big" rivalry I can think of that this format does away with is LSU/Florida. I don't see Vandy/Ole Miss, Kentucky/Miss State, Arkansas/South Carolina as major rivalries (maybe fans of those teams do).

Last edited:
No divisions. No permanent opponents. Only play eight SEC games.

On the final Thursday of every January, just randomly pull eight teams for the next years schedule. Playing them in the order they are pulled. First eight teams pulled will start with a home game, etc.

At the end, the two with best records meet for championship.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Expand the regular season to 13 games. Keep 2 divisions. 11 game SEC schedule: 7 divisional + 4 cross-divisional. No permanent West opponents. Alternate West opponents every year. This way every school gets to play the entire conference over a 2 year period.

Four
Money: Vols, KY. Missouri, Vandy
Cactus: Texas, Sooners, Arkansas, A$M
Plantations: Miss State, Ole Miss, Bama, Auburn
Bubba Gumps LSU, Cocky, Jaytors, UGA

Play home and away against your own quad, plus two others at random. no set rivals.

Four non-conference games.

Two best records meet in championship.

Last edited:
If they’re going to keep SEC media days in Alabama, just go ahead and move it to Tuscawoosa and to save money, and pretense, they can just have it in Sabans office at Bryant-Denny

I don’t know why the division or pods need to purely geographic.

I like the NFL model where afc and nfc have east and west teams.

Look at 4 regions and then place a team from each region into pods.

Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Missouri, Arkansas NORTH
Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, LSU WEST
Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee EAST
Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi State, Mississippi SOUTH

1 team from each group placed into pods
(1) 3 games against own pod
(2) 4 games against second pod - all teams in pod play same opponents
(3) 1 game against geographic rival
(4) if 3 is in the second pod then a quasi-rando game from other 2 pods

8 games schedule. Never Ever go to an odd number league schedule
Neutral site games against conference foes are barred

Pods are shuffled every 3 seasons on a set schedule with each pod sharing no members from prior grouping

By the way; my rotating 3+4+1 model idea would work better for picking championship game participants than current system as 2 pods would be playing each other exclusively except for the one floating game. Better than the three floaters we have now.

And that one floater could easily not be included in determining title games. The rotating 3+4+1 model would also allow all teams to play each other at least once every 3-4 years I believe.

Even if you left the pod members stable, the pods could play different pods years-to-year and the geographic rivalries could be better retained.

East - ut, USc, uga, uf
Central - vandy, auburn, Alabama, kentucky
Sw - Ole miss, lsu, Texas, miss st
Nw - Oklahoma Missouri, Arkansas, t a and m

Play your three pod games
Usc, uga, uf

Last seasons place finishers Play each other
#2 east plays #2 central, sw, and nw.
Maybe Kentucky, Texas, Oklahoma

Play entire division
Central - vandy, auburn, and Alabama.

Lots of historical parity, geographically makes sense, most rivalries are still intact, mixes new sec with old sec teams, gives a freshman a chance to play every team once.

The 2 teams with the best conference record play in the sec championship.

I think we are asking the wrong question ... the right question is ... What is Nick Saban going to tell the SEC office to implement? :^)

Changed my mind, if we are gonna be NFL B conference then let's go all the way;
15 game regular season schedule, play everyone, one bye week (7or 8). No nonconference games, they can suffer!!!! SEC Championship on Christmas Eve, back up the season from there!!!!
2 Best winning records then
Best Defense (fewest points allowed) then
Best Offense (most points scored) then
Live field Goal competition in Atlanta with all teams tied. Longest made FG team plays the game!!!!!

Divisions. Traditional games have made college football & the SEC. New opponents every yr (except 3) looks too NFL. If you go to pods, expect significant reduction in season ticket sales.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
ACC is doing a study to eliminate divisions. Everyone will play 3 permanent opponents and then the other 10 they will play 5/5. I like that here, you can preserve important games while still seeing every sec stadium every 4 years. Some coaches are opposed because they want to win a division.

ACC is doing a study to eliminate divisions. Everyone will play 3 permanent opponents and then the other 10 they will play 5/5. I like that here, you can preserve important games while still seeing every sec stadium every 4 years. Some coaches are opposed because they want to win a division.

ACC should go to Pods. There isn’t much history or tradition in that league.

This ain't hard

East
Alabama
Auburn
Georgia
Florida
Tennessee
Vandy
Kentucky
South Carolina

West
Mississippi
Mississippi State
LSU
Arkansas
Missouri
Texas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma

Play your division every year. Rotate two teams from the opposite division every year. Play each school at least every four years.

It's not going to be pods or divisions. It's going to be everybody has 3 permanent opponents, not pods (the difference being everyone's permanent opponents vary in the non-pod system, just like the pre-1992 SEC), the other 12 rotate, 6 and 6 every other year. 9 game schedule.

This ain't hard

East
Alabama
Auburn
Georgia
Florida
Tennessee
Vandy
Kentucky
South Carolina

West
Mississippi
Mississippi State
LSU
Arkansas
Missouri
Texas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma

Play your division every year. Rotate two teams from the opposite division every year. Play each school at least every four years.
Lol. Seems fair. How many national championships does that eastern bracket have in the last 20-30 years?

Lol. Seems fair. How many national championships does that eastern bracket have in the last 20-30 years?

There's really no great way to balance a conference that includes Alabama. Since the initial SEC expansion in 1992, national title counts with 99's revamped divisions (not counting Alabama) look like:

East: 6
Florida x 3
Georgia
Auburn
Tennessee

West: 5
LSU x 3
Oklahoma
Texas

Whatever division gets Alabama and their seven national titles is far and away more difficult than its counterpart.

• Give Mizzou to the Big Ten (giving them 15 teams)
  • 3 divisions of 5
  • Play everyone in your division
  • 1 cross-division rival
  • Rotation of 3 of the other 9 teams every season, alternating home/home every 3rd year.
  • Total of 8 conference games (4+1+3)
West
Texas
Oklahoma
Texas A&M
Arkansas
LSU

Central
Miss State
Ole Miss
Alabama
Auburn
Vanderbilt

East
Tennessee
Kentucky
Georgia
South Carolina
Florida

Florida - Home
Miss State - Home
Georgia - Away
Bama - Home
South Carolina - Away
Oklahoma - Home
Kentucky - Away
Texas A&M - Away
Florida - Away
Ole Miss - Away
Georgia - Home
Bama - Away
South Carolina - Home
Texas - Away
Kentucky - Home
Arkansas - Home
Florida - Home
LSU - Home
Georgia - Away
Bama - Home
South Carolina - Away
Auburn - Home
Kentucky - Away
Vanderbilt - Away
Florida - Away
Miss State - Away
Georgia - Home
Bama - Away
South Carolina - Home
Oklahoma - Away
Kentucky - Home
Texas A&M - Home

Etc, etc, etc.

Last edited:
I just don't like the pod format. I'm not even sure why other than it seems to make things more complicated than it needs to be.

I don't see how you do that unless you make the schedule completely SEC homogenous with few, if any OOC games. I'm not sure if I would like that. I enjoy it when we play quality teams out of our conference.

Have 3 permanent opponents then rotate the other 12 teams, 6 each year. That way every team plays every team home/away every 4 years.

VN Store

Back