How the 247Sports Composite Ranking Works

3rdDegreeVol

Go Vols!
Lab Rat
TL;DR – The 247 composite is just an average of all the other services’ ranking but has lots of issues.

I’ve seen a lot of posts discussing the 247 composite and how they calculate their rankings. So I set out to try and figure out their methodology. I started by looking at their own explanation of how they do it. Here’s the link: http://247sports.com/Article/247Rating-Explanation-81574. There are two numbers at play here that get used somewhat interchangeably so I wanted to clarify. Ranking is the relative position of a recruit compared to other recruits, i.e. #23 in the country. Rating is either a numerical score, i.e. 96 or 0.9456, or number of stars. The 247 composite strictly uses national rankings to calculate their score and doesn't care about the ratings.

The basic process is to take the average of all the sites rankings. I’ll use Cade Mays as an example. This average ranking (19.75) is used to calculate the 247 composite rating (0.9925). Then the recruits are ordered highest to lowest and stars are assigned. I pulled everyone’s rankings from each site this week and built my own spreadsheet to try this out and was able to replicate (mostly) their rankings. The basic process seems reasonable but there are a lot of issues with 247’s execution of this.

First, there are kids who are in the list multiple times (Jackson Carman at #12 and Jack Carman at #19 – same school). Second, it’s clear that 247 doesn’t have or isn’t using the latest rankings from each of the sites. Third, some of the sites only rank a certain number of players. Rivals only ranks the top 250 and Scout only ranks the top 300 (although they only list 250). This leads to instances were a player doesn’t have a ranking on one or more of the sites, especially those on the edge of those numbers.

This leads to number four, the composite ranking of kids who don’t have a ranking on one of the sites are skewed. It’s clear that something isn’t right with their formula for these kids. Al Blades should be ranked around #37 based on his average (no ranking on Scout) but instead shows up at #79. There is a similar trend for others. What’s interesting is that even without a ranking on Scout, 247 indicates that they are using 4 rankings. I calculated what the missing ranking would be in order to get the composite score listed for him and found the missing ranking was the same for most of the kids who don’t have a ranking on one site. 247 is using a ranking of 252 in lieu of the missing ranking rather than calculating the average of only the sites with a ranking. This is skewing a lot of kids down from where they should be.

What I haven’t figured out is how they determine number of stars. They say “The 247Sports Composite Rating assigns stars based on an approximate average distribution of stars from the industry.” However the composite has more 5 star players listed (26) than any individual service (Rivals – 23, ESPN – 12, 247 – 9, Scout – 17). Maybe it’s based on rating or % of 5 star players versus the overall number of rankings?

My impressions are there are a lot of issues with 247’s implementation. It does seem to give a reasonable answer for most kids in the top 200 or so players (with exceptions for kids like Al Blades who are missing a ranking). Beyond that, there are so many kids not ranked by one of the services that the composite rankings seem pretty random. It doesn’t seem like the composite is updated as the services update their individual rankings but rather it’s updated periodically so the composite may be out of sync with the other services rankings.

I hope this helps explain the composite rankings and how they’re calculated.

Reactions: 5 people
It's pretty clear they're using some type of value system to rank the services. If I had to guess, they're placing quite a bit more value in 247/Rivals ranking than Scout/ESPN.

I would also guess they're applying additional data to assess value, like state and position rankings according to their respective sites. I haven't sat down and tried to figure out the ranking system. In truth it would probably take a full afternoon just to grasp of the probable values they're attributing to each site.

There are more 5 stars since there is a greater discrepancy between the big 3 (247, Rivals, ESPN) on who the elite players are. If the value attributed to that particular site is high enough to bump them to the cut-off number for a 5 star then it would make sense that you end up with more 5 stars in the composite than any other ranking service.

Their composite system is so screwed up. I can't figure out how a guy like Jordan Miner is an 89 something in the composite when he's a 4-star on every site they use (ESPN, Scout, 247's own rankings and Rivals). If 90 is the lowest 4* then how does he drop below that in their composite when he's unanimous 4*?

Their composite system is so screwed up. I can't figure out how a guy like Jordan Miner is an 89 something in the composite when he's a 4-star on every site they use (ESPN, Scout, 247's own rankings and Rivals). If 90 is the lowest 4* then how does he drop below that in their composite when he's unanimous 4*?

See Newt's post. It explains it the best.

Reactions: 2 people

.8900 is the cut-off for 4-stars. .9000 is more the cut-off for the top 250-300 players.

why make it so complicated? Take the 4 sites ratings and divide by...4. That gives you the average and there ya go.

It's pretty clear they're using some type of value system to rank the services. If I had to guess, they're placing quite a bit more value in 247/Rivals ranking than Scout/ESPN.

I would also guess they're applying additional data to assess value, like state and position rankings according to their respective sites. I haven't sat down and tried to figure out the ranking system. In truth it would probably take a full afternoon just to grasp of the probable values they're attributing to each site.

There are more 5 stars since there is a greater discrepancy between the big 3 (247, Rivals, ESPN) on who the elite players are. If the value attributed to that particular site is high enough to bump them to the cut-off number for a 5 star then it would make sense that you end up with more 5 stars in the composite than any other ranking service.

The ranking system is not crap but far from perfect but the bold above you are spot on Kirby. :wink:

I can duplicate their ratings for the first 100 guys or within 0.0001. 0.0001 is the difference of the ranking changing by one spot (say #23 to #22) on one site. Beyond the first hundred it get's a little looser. I don't think they've updated the composite since a lot of the sites have updated their rankings. I think that's a lot of the difference, they're just not very current especially with guys who might not have been real well known early.

I'm happy to share my spreadsheet if anyone wants to play with it but you probably have to be a little :loco: to want to do that...

There ain't but one great exalted one & he's my Jesus so it's not me. :)

Tell us what you know. I bet you made a fake twitter handle, passed yourself as some hot Tennessee girl then casually slid into Callahan's DMs and asked about the "secret formula". Dont run from your sins tony. I see you.

I can duplicate their ratings for the first 100 guys or within 0.0001. 0.0001 is the difference of the ranking changing by one spot (say #23 to #22) on one site. Beyond the first hundred it get's a little looser. I don't think they've updated the composite since a lot of the sites have updated their rankings. I think that's a lot of the difference, they're just not very current especially with guys who might not have been real well known early.

I'm happy to share my spreadsheet if anyone wants to play with it but you probably have to be a little :loco: to want to do that...

What did you mean when you said "247 is using a ranking of 252 in lieu of the missing ranking"? Do you mean 252 as in that prospects national ranking? Or 252 as some arbitrary number that they are using to give value when a site is missing a ranking for a recruit?

I wouldnt mind seeing the spreadsheet :good!:

What did you mean when you said "247 is using a ranking of 252 in lieu of the missing ranking"? Do you mean 252 as in that prospects national ranking? Or 252 as some arbitrary number that they are using?

I wouldnt mind seeing the spreadsheet :good!:

Instead of calculating the ranking as an average of the three sites with rankings they're using 252 as the fourth (missing) ranking. Using Blades as an example, his three rankings are 37, 98, and 35 for an average of 56.67. That converts to a rating of 0.9777. The formula is 1-((56.67-1)*0.0004). The composite lists a rating of 0.9582. In order to get 0.9582 you have to add a fourth ranking of 252, which averages to 105.25. Converting 1-((105.25-1)*0.0004) = 0.9583. One of the rankings I'm using is probably off by one from one of the rankings they're using. I see this on lot of recruits where adding 252 instead of the missing ranking is the only way to make it come out.

Attachments

• 247 Composite.xlsx
    367.6 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: 1 person
Turn the other cheek Tony.

Don't let'em get under your skin. They'll possibly go away after awhile.

sinners.
:lolabove:

why make it so complicated? Take the 4 sites ratings and divide by...4. That gives you the average and there ya go.

Nonsense. Any yahoo with excel could do it then. Need to make it arbitrarily difficult so you can get clicks and charge subscriptions and make people feel good about forking over time and money.

Because it's not apples to apples. The composite is and always has been a crock.

Simpletons lapped it up like it was great. Anyone with a brain that spent anytime perusing the sites could see it was complete horse manure.

Because it's not apples to apples. The composite is and always has been a crock.

SIMPLETONS lapped it up like it was great. Anyone with a brain that spent anytime perusing the sites could see it was complete horse manure.

I know who u are talking about

I like the concept of a composite but I think it's pretty clear that 247's version is seriously flawed. What would you do for a composite? I think I'd look at averaging the ratings somehow. A lot more kids have ratings than rankings so that would help with some of the problems. It would also capture the differences between kids a little better I think.

How do they build a composite for the guys outside of the top 250? Seems like everyone would receive the same ranking at 252.

How do they build a composite for the guys outside of the top 250? Seems like everyone would receive the same ranking at 252.

247 and ESPN both have rankings beyond that so I'm guessing that's what they're using. I'll have to look at some lower ranked kids to how they're being handled.

VN Store

Back