How often has Florida actually beaten us

I remember when T beat FL, Peyton called him to congratulate him (PM is a class act). Beating FL is so rare, you remember things like that.

Look, FL has more talent most years, if you take away the Spurrier, Ron Zook, Urban Crier and the Muschamp years what have you got. Oh thats right, they still beat us. This is no longer a rivalry game to them. Most of my friends that pull for FL think GA, FL St and LSU are their rivals, we don't even rate anymore they have beaten us so many times. WE (TN) have to start winning these games. Even during the Fulmer years we still lost to FL with Peyton. I am sick of losing to FL.

Just Win Baby.

It's not just your friends, that's UF fans in general. Although most of the ones I know would still put us before LSU or at least even. But it's a pretty wide gulf between LSU/UT and Georgia/FSU. In the 90s we probably crept up closer but not in a long time.

When we're really good, Florida is great. When Florida is bad, we're terrible. And when those statements somehow don't compute, we invent a new way of losing to them.
With the exception of the Zook years (2002-04), that's spot on. That's really been the only period since the series started being played every year that Tennessee came into the game generally understood to be the better team. Yet Zook still won once (remember the infamous 2002 game in the downpour with about 10 fumbled snaps) and would've been 2-1 against Tennessee if James Wilhoit didn't redeem himself.

Was about a 10 year stretch there that Florida was the only team in the SEC team we couldn’t beat. In the 90’s it was the big game of the SEC early in the season too, sadly now it’s lost it’s luster and we lose to nearly everybody in the SEC.

Let’s not forget about crooked referees! The SEC hires LSU fans to ref LSU basketball games against the Vols I bet they’re hiring Florida fans to ref Florida football games! Rigged!

OP, it all comes down to UF having better coaches the majority of the time.

Spurrier > Fulmer
Fulmer > Zook
Meyer > Fulmer, Kiffin. & Dooley
Muschamp > Dooley & Jones
Jim M. > Jones
And so far, Mullen > Pruitt.

All of the UF coaches listed above that were axed by UF or moved on found another HC gig. UT’s coaches never landed another HC gig once they were fired or moved on except for Kiffin. However, Kiffin sucks as a HC.

Ky has done the same thing recently when it comes to UF. We have handed them 3 out of the last 4 games. Four years ago they scored a TD after hiking the ball with 0 seconds on the play clock in OT. 3 years ago we handed them the game in Lexington by leaving receivers completely uncovered twice for TDs, although we completely outplayed them the most of the game. And this past Saturday we let them steal another one from us by missing a short FG and playing way too conservative when we were ahead by two scores. They're not as good as their record. We're just that bad when we have them down for the count.

I know i have sat through some horrible losses to include the rain soaked 1996 game and the 2006 heartbreak but nothing was sweeter than being in Neyland for the the 1990 beatdown during Spurriers first year 45-3.

Not sure how it continued past the Spurrior then Fulmer era but with Fulmer and staff it was a mental thing.

Whether we want to admit it, Florida has always owned us. Peyton never could beat them. If you looked at his stats vs Florida, then you think no way this guy was one of the best QB's to play the game. And who can forget Spurrier and his "you can't spell Citrus without UT" comments. I predict Florida plays their best game of the year again us. And JG will be creamed all afternoon.
Yep, we need JG to channel his inner Casey Clausen Saturday.

OP, it all comes down to UF having better coaches the majority of the time.

Spurrier > Fulmer
Fulmer > Zook
Meyer > Fulmer, Kiffin. & Dooley
Muschamp > Dooley & Jones
Jim M. > Jones
And so far, Mullen > Pruitt.

All of the UF coaches listed above that were axed by UF or moved on found another HC gig. UT’s coaches never landed another HC gig once they were fired or moved on except for Kiffin. However, Kiffin sucks as a HC.
Yikes. That's a dose of cold hard truth right there.

Reactions: Pineyvol
I believe the better way to ask the question would be, "Can anyone remember when we beat FL?".

VN Store

Back