How not redshirting Tee lost Fulmer his job

True, but originally Clawson wasn't even on Phil's radar for OC. You may recall that Hamilton + whoever was actually pulling all the strings refused to pay what was necessary to hire the top quality OC candidates who Phil wanted including Mike Debord who was fresh out of Michigan at the time. You might also remember the search dragged out for a long time, and the list of possible hires grew shorter and shorter. Then, there was all the hullabaloo about Phil wanting to continue running an "old fashioned" pro style offense while a vocal group continued their loud yammering to adopt the new, wide open "spread". Well, Clawson was finally hired, and the idiot powers that be ultimately got what they were maneuvering for all along which was an excuse to fire Phil. Maybe that gives us some insight into Phil's motivation to shell out the big bucks necessary to give Pruitt what he needed by hiring Jim Chaney. Successful AD's support their coaches, they don't set them up to fail.
Phil's budget for assistants was pathetic. Not saying that he doesn't deserve some blame, but we were saddled with a bunch of duds like Larry Slade for years.

Financially, Phil getting fired was the best thing that ever happened to Chavis. He immediately got a massive raise

Reactions: LexVol71
Fulmer could beat mark richt. He just wasn’t going to be able to keep up with Saban or Meyer.
Richt got the better of Phil both on the field and (especially) on the recruiting trail. Richt's first game against Phil was the Hobnail Boot game in Neyland. Phil also upset Richt as well, but went 3-5 against him overall. Not great.

Richt hurt Phil in recruiting more than Saban and Urban did.

Trust me, from the title alone, your not thinking anything I didn't. And I do not agree with it, but it is interesting, or punishing to think if we had a few more of these guys for an extra year. I would have loved to have had Tee, Ice Man, Ainge for an extra year each. I wasn't going to share, but it is the offseason and figured as ridiculous as it is, some may enjoy the read.

Tennessee football: How Vols not redshirting Tee Martin got Phillip Fulmer fired
Let's all keep living in the past. Geez

Richt got the better of Phil both on the field and (especially) on the recruiting trail. Richt's first game against Phil was the Hobnail Boot game in Neyland. Phil also upset Richt as well, but went 3-5 against him overall. Not great.

Richt hurt Phil in recruiting more than Saban and Urban did.
IMO It was more about Meyer nearly hanging 100 points on Fulmer the last two years.

What got Fulmer fired was the complete breakdown of the offense in 2005 and 2008; years where our defense was good enough to win the league. FYI : Clausen would have started the first game of 2000 had he not had elbow tendonitis.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Or... Or... Or... Hear me out on this one... Had Travis Stephens not redshirted we never would have beaten Florida in '01!

Certainly not on scheme, as Tennessee ran very basic sets during Fulmer's best years. However, it's wrong to say that he never beat anyone with equal or superior talent (see his very first game in 1992 at Georgia, and of course, at Florida in '01... or how about at Miami in '03 or at Georgia in '04.)
I have thought about these games over the years. In '92 he had nothing to lose and the team played that way against both Georgia and Florida that year. Later, he played not to lose and coupled with Chavis' prevent defense prevented him from winning more games. In '01 and '03, those two games you mentioned are sorta, kinda similar. I think Florida was over confident and had several turnovers. For that Miami game, they were over confident. Especially the beat down against us the previous year. In addition, Miami was on their way down from the high of their 2001 and 2002 campaigns. Coker was just riding the wave left by Davis. Our game against them was just proof that the wheels were fixing to come off. Even Richt said after that game in '04 that he had done a poor job of preparation and that he noticed their team was not excited. Hence, the unsportsmanlike penalty after their first touchdown against Florida.

My Lord.... the cause and effect what if game. What if Peyton would’ve have gone to Ole Miss?
What if Chris Simms had come to Tennessee, what if Ken Dorsey has come to play here? What if Auburn didn’t cheat their ass off to get Cadillac Williams there instead of KTOWN? What if Fulmer were tougher on Kelly Washington and others? What if CJ Leak didn’t suck and have his little bro throw a hissy fit all the way to Gainesville? What if James Banks or Coker could’ve laid off the weed more? Or Ainge could’ve taken time away to get his life straight and Rick Clausen ran 2005?

There are a million what ifs for not just our team, but every team. Dave Clawson has his shortcomings, but the buck stops at Fulmer. I say that knowing that I love coach Fulmer, but he needed his nucleus to be truly successful. He didn’t want to be the discipline guy after Cut left. IMO Phil’s best jobs coaching were when expectations were low. 04’ and ‘07 specifically come to mind. We were decent and scrapped and clawed our way to Atlanta those years.

In ‘06 we were a point away, one graze of a fingernail from going to the National Title, that’s the hypothetical that no one ever talks about and is much more realistic than a red shirt. I’ve said that about the ‘06 team for years and I still stand by it.
Good post RDU!

Trust me, from the title alone, your not thinking anything I didn't. And I do not agree with it, but it is interesting, or punishing to think if we had a few more of these guys for an extra year. I would have loved to have had Tee, Ice Man, Ainge for an extra year each. I wasn't going to share, but it is the offseason and figured as ridiculous as it is, some may enjoy the read.

Tennessee football: How Vols not redshirting Tee Martin got Phillip Fulmer fired

All it would have done is delayed the inevitable for an additional year. that is assuming none of those guys transfer because they couldnt start.

What cost Fulmer his job:

Losing football games

Duh

Nope. That was only a symptom.

The real issue that cost Fulmer his job was.....his adandoning the orange pants! Oh he tried a last ditch effort to appease the Orange Pants Gods in the 2007 SEC Championship and the 2008 opener at UCLA.....but it was TOO LATE!

Reactions: TN Outlaw
Nope. That was only a symptom.

The real issue that cost Fulmer his job was.....his adandoning the orange pants! Oh he tried a last ditch effort to appease the Orange Pants Gods in the 2007 SEC Championship and the 2008 opener at UCLA.....but it was TOO LATE!
This was gooooood!

VN Store

Back