How not redshirting Tee lost Fulmer his job

ie...he got complacent
Yes...but not the same thing I posted. Complacency was more on any OC other than Cut. He seemed to be the hard nut on instilling fundamentals. That’s on Fulmer ultimately as it’s supposed to flow from the HC down. Not sure how far back in his tenure that was a thing.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Yes...but not the same thing I posted. Complacency was more on any OC other than Cut. He seemed to be the hard nut on instilling fundamentals. That’s on Fulmer ultimately as it’s supposed to flow from the HC down. Not sure how far back in his tenure that was a thing.

Good God, can you not just let me have ONE DANG POINT???

The conference going from 2 elite coaches to a handful, low salaries for assistants, stubbornness and Mike Hamilton got Phil fired.

Can’t help but wonder what would have happened if Kiffin had a solid 3-5 years here.

Severe NCAA probation.

Kiff has matured a bit nowadays but he was not ready in 2009.

The flip side of that coin would be what would have happened if Hamilton hired Gary Patterson instead of Kiffin

If Tee Martin had been redshirted in '96, all that means is, we would have had him as the starting QB in 2000. With the exception of the Georgia game, I don't recall offense being a problem that year. Even in the OT loss at LSU, we scored 31 points and AJ Suggs played pretty well. In the game we blew at home to Florida, Travis Henry ran all over them that day... we just couldn't punch it in from inside the 10 yard line and our pass defense broke down on their last drive with Teddy Gaines getting beaten deep for a big play. Against Kansas State in the Cotton Bowl, our defense couldn't stop the run, just as was the case vs Nebraska a year earlier.

Now, having said that, I think Fulmer made mistakes in not redshirting some players who could have contributed heavily in their 5th year (and we needed them).... Jay Graham should have been redshirted in '93 and Cedrick Wilson should have been redshirted in '97.

Never mind CPF getting complacent.
And being obsessed with bringing down Bama.

Dickey leaving the was the #1 reason Fulmer got fired. Fulmer trusted Dickey implicitly. If he said, “you need to make a change here,” Fulmer respected it. He lost that with Hammy, who was clueless as to Football sense.

Phil won by having superior talent and catching a few breaks. Hard to think of a time when he beat someone based on schematics .
Certainly not on scheme, as Tennessee ran very basic sets during Fulmer's best years. However, it's wrong to say that he never beat anyone with equal or superior talent (see his very first game in 1992 at Georgia, and of course, at Florida in '01... or how about at Miami in '03 or at Georgia in '04.)

Imagine if Heath Shuler had come back for the 1994 season and Peyton Manning was redshirted
That's fun to think about... but it's not like '98 could have gone any better. I will get absolutely killed for this, but I don't think we would have won the NC with Peyton. That offense was better with a QB who could pull it down and run. (Just my opinion)

Certainly not on scheme, as Tennessee ran very basic sets during Fulmer's best years. However, it's wrong to say that he never beat anyone with equal or superior talent (see his very first game in 1992 at Georgia, and of course, at Florida in '01... or how about at Miami in '03 or at Georgia in '04.)
You could add 1998 FSU to that list

Trust me, from the title alone, your not thinking anything I didn't. And I do not agree with it, but it is interesting, or punishing to think if we had a few more of these guys for an extra year. I would have loved to have had Tee, Ice Man, Ainge for an extra year each. I wasn't going to share, but it is the offseason and figured as ridiculous as it is, some may enjoy the read.

Tennessee football: How Vols not redshirting Tee Martin got Phillip Fulmer fired
This is BS. Fulmer was not in trouble until 2005 . Tee would have been gone for at least 6 years. Fulmer lost his job because "Cut" left and Clawson's was so different that the offense did not have a chance to learn how to execute it and he had losig records in 2005 and 2008. As it turns out, he would have done much better than next 3 replacements. Now that the teams is going to get back to playing as it did in the late 1900s and erly 2000s, everything will be back to mormal.

Imagine if Heath Shuler had come back for the 1994 season and Peyton Manning was redshirted

Yes. We had great all around talent that year including a seasoned oline. Had Shuler stayed or even if Colquitt had played we would have been a top Five team. Would not have lost to UCLA, bama or MSU that year and would have at least played better against Florida. We played what 4 QBs that year including breaking in two freshman. Although I’m glad Peyton got to start early as it helped him the next year.

If I could go back and only make one change: redshirting Tee to get one extra year or not hiring Hamilton, I’d take the latter all day long. Giving CPF way too many incentives for underperforming and then later firing him, signing the horrible Kiffin deal without a buyout, and scrambling to hire Dooley did much more damage than not red shirting a series of QBs.

Yes. We had great all around talent that year including a seasoned oline. Had Shuler stayed or even if Colquitt had played we would have been a top Five team. Would not have lost to UCLA, bama or MSU that year and would have at least played better against Florida. We played what 4 QBs that year including breaking in two freshman. Although I’m glad Peyton got to start early as it helped him the next year.
They took too long to insert LB Tyrone Hines into the starting lineup in '94 and we were pretty brutal against the run as a result early in the season... but other than that, I agree with you. With Shuler at QB that year we go 10-1.

VN Store

Back