How not redshirting Tee lost Fulmer his job

VolForLife83

Trust me, from the title alone, your not thinking anything I didn't. And I do not agree with it, but it is interesting, or punishing to think if we had a few more of these guys for an extra year. I would have loved to have had Tee, Ice Man, Ainge for an extra year each. I wasn't going to share, but it is the offseason and figured as ridiculous as it is, some may enjoy the read.

Tennessee football: How Vols not redshirting Tee Martin got Phillip Fulmer fired

Trust me, from the title alone, your not thinking anything I didn't. And I do not agree with it, but it is interesting, or punishing to think if we had a few more of these guys for an extra year. I would have loved to have had Tee, Ice Man, Ainge for an extra year each. I wasn't going to share, but it is the offseason and figured as ridiculous as it is, some may enjoy the read.

Tennessee football: How Vols not redshirting Tee Martin got Phillip Fulmer fired
Casey Clausen getting those early starts in 2000 helped him a lot in 2001-2003.

Dumb, myopic article.

Tennessee should have played for a national title in 2001 anyway, with Clausen, despite him not hypothetically redshirting in 2000 under Tee Martin (who would have hypothetically redshirted in 1996, allowing him to stay until 2000).

Fulmer had Tennessee football humming from 1995-2001. Starting in 2002, he slowly began to regress, hitting a low in 2005 then a lower low in 2008. It isn't a coincidence his peak roughly coincided with Nick Saban entering the conference in 2000, Mark Richt entering the conference in 2001, then was compounded by Urban entering the conference in 2005 and Saban re-entering in 2007. Fulmer was done in over a long period of time by better coaching (specifically recruiting) entering the conference in the early to mid 2000s. He didn't have Jim Donnan, Gerry DiNardo, Ron Zook, etc. to coach against anymore. The old cliche is true that he didn't just "forget how to coach" - some other guys came along who simply outdid him.

It's kind of painful for us to admit, but we were at our best when the SEC was thin (just us and Florida), and Florida still routinely got the better of us. The SEC was a pretty good, not great, football conference in the 1990s. It wasn't as good as the Big Ten or Big 12, and nothing like it was in the 2000s-2010s. Once the roster of good programs in the conference got deeper, Fulmer steadily lost ground.

If, if and buts were candy and nuts, what a merry Christmas it would be...........do you know how easy it is to look back and be critical of decisions that were made 20 years ago? If I had decided not to go into the USAF, I might have been a Mgr of Wendy's..............and then an owner, one of the worst things we can do as human beings is second guess decisions that we cannot change. CPF was fired because he relied too much on the new ranking of recruits instead of measuring their character. It was one arrest after another, He didn't make those kids break the law, but it certainly impacted the quality of the UT Teams, that is where Fulmer failed, he made several bad recruiting mistakes and it didn't help that the other schools started to shell out $$$$$$$$$ to get better coaches............this article is riddled with tunnel vision.........it could have never been one thing.

One more thing! There is no way that Garret Sanders was around to even witness what was going on from 2000-2008. His sources must all be in Wikipedia.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
If, if and buts were candy and nuts, what a merry Christmas it would be...........do you know how easy it is to look back and be critical of decisions that were made 20 years ago? If I had decided not to go into the USAF, I might have been a Mgr of Wendy's..............and then an owner, one of the worst things we can do as human beings is second guess decisions that we cannot change. CPF was fired because he relied too much on the new ranking of recruits instead of measuring their character. It was one arrest after another, He didn't make those kids break the law, but it certainly impacted the quality of the UT Teams, that is where Fulmer failed, he made several bad recruiting mistakes and it didn't help that the other schools started to shell out $$$$$$$$$ to get better coaches............this article is riddled with tunnel vision.........it could have never been one thing.
Fulmer didn't falter because he recruited low-character kids. As time went on, he no longer had the Jim Donnans/Mike DuBoses/Gerry DiNardos/Ron Zooks of the world to coach and recruit against. All of those guys were fired and ultimately replaced with great coaches, who out-recruited and out-coached Fulmer. A program doesn't falter because kids get arrested (happens everywhere) or he didn't redshirt a QB when he should have.

Fulmer was simply systematically beaten year after year over a period of years by other coaches in the conference, specifically the SEC East (Richt and Meyer).

Fulmer didn't falter because he recruited low-character kids. As time went on, he no longer had the Jim Donnans/Mike DuBoses/Gerry DiNardos/Ron Zooks of the world to coach and recruit against. All of those guys were fired and ultimately replaced with great coaches, who out-recruited and out-coached Fulmer. A program doesn't falter because kids get arrested (happens everywhere) or he didn't redshirt a QB when he should have.

Fulmer was simply systematically beaten year after year over a period of years by other coaches.
This too

Reactions: kbear01 and Sarms58
There are lots of more recent things going on if you just want to throw something on the wall to see if it sticks....

If we’re gonna make assumptions: Kevin Durant is only hurt cause he wants out of town... 🤔

UGA hiring Richt, UF hiring Meyer and LSU hiring Saban had more to do with Fulmer getting fired...

Those 3 coaches plus to a lesser degree Stoops, Carroll, and Tressel significantly reduced our national recruiting pipeline...

THIS!!

and you lost me once I saw it was a ‘Fansided’ article. The only thing that would make it worse if it was Caleb Calhoun clickbait. Yet another terrible ‘Fansided’ take for clicks.

Fulmer was simply systematically beaten year after year over a period of years by other coaches in the conference, specifically the SEC East (Richt and Meyer).
Fulmer beat Richt 51-33 in 2006 and 35-14 in 2007

VN Store

Back