How much heat does Fulmer get if Barnes leaves?

What? No blame on the Haslam's? LOL

This decision/negotiation isn't merely on Phil.

This has been mentioned on boards and on tv so figured if anyone knows if this truth or fiction.

It has been said that no one from the athletic department accompanied Barnes to Minneapolis to receive the coach of the year award. Read on here, that Fulmer was in Tampa instead.

Is that true?

Nomenclature IS typical that the AD would accompany HC’s that are nominated. IF that is true, why was Phil in Tampa?

Reactions: onevol74
None. Theres only so much he can do. Cant force a guy to stay
You don’t think he won’t take heat? Of course he will. And if someone’s mind is made up that’s one thing. See Kiffin. But apparently Barnes was willing to offer to Fulmers counter offer. Given these circumstances it seems unlikely that Fulmer and Barnes couldn’t work something out

And is it justified?
I read Barnes felt unappreciated that only 1 AD staffer was at presentation for coach of the year award. Doubt that would be the primary reason, but if he feels unappreciated that’s something the AD should pay attention to and learn from if and when there is another coach.

Way too many questions to be answered at this point. What reasons does Barnes give for departing and who does Fulmer hire?

Has a P-5, top 10 basketball program ever had their coach poached by another P-5? Off hand I'm drawing a blank. It might be a TN thing.

Stan Huntsman (Track & Field) from TN to Texas.

Johnny Majors from Pittsburgh (an independent in 1976/77) to TN.

Maybe CM Newton from Bama to Vandy and Brown from Vandy to USCe. Can't remember those details.

Usually they move to the NBA or the NFL from a major program when deciding to leave.

Is it even that common for a coach at one high major to leave for another unless it's to their alma mater? TN had Kevin O'Neil, Kiffin, Cuonzo, and Barnes all do that. BVS is real.

Eddie Fogler went from VU to USC.

Sounds like there has been a counter so prob not if Barnes left.

However look for many to be pizzed if Barnes leaves when the next coach is hired. Who is out there right now that would take the job? Not what some think.

If this week turns out this way.
1. Kelly is really hired as LV coach
2. Barnes Bolts
Wow!, i don't think BBall survives, or recovers even in the long haul ever again, expelled from relevance to the grave yard.

None.......at UT you cannot pay the Basketball coach more then the football coach. No way.

2. Barnes Bolts
Wow!, i don't think BBall survives, or recovers even in the long haul ever again, expelled from relevance to the grave yard.

Go root for another team, if that’s the case.

In conservative country, we pay people for performance and not which sport they coach.

Reactions: volhick
If Barnes isn't fully invested in UT and has to decide if he's staying or going, I say let him walk. It's not Fulmer's fault.

Fulmer deserves the heat. It is his job to maintain a stable program and losing the Naismith Coach of the Year after your most successful year ever in school history is not maintaining a stable program. Barnes has always said that he and his family love it here. Then what changed? He is around 5 years from retirement and has a good thing going where he is. Why would he give it all up to live in a culture that is counter to what he portrays as his own happiness? I just do not see a fit for him in LA. Something is amiss.

None.......at UT you cannot pay the Basketball coach more then the football coach. No way.

2. Barnes Bolts

LV fans were clamoring for a former player with ties to PHS. They also were insistent that only a woman would be acceptable. Kelly checks all the boxes and likely will come at the right price for a program bleeding money.

As for Barnes, we don't know that he will leave. With the reports of late, it appears Barnes did meet with the team but no new means a decision hasn't been made yet. It's also out there that UT came back with a "generous offer" in order to keep Barnes at UT. I believe the comment was along the lines of "we've done all we can". Not sure what else is expected from UT at this point.

Well, it's hard to justify when football brings in over 100 mil vs 14 mil for basketball.

Barnes was the 2nd highest paid coach in the sec before getting this new offer, which may be more about assistants than anything. Fulmer has done all he can, the ball is in Barnes court I hope he stays. Taxes and the culture out there will be a shock to his system if he goes. Why would you bolt from a place you have brought back to life. But it's his decision. GBO!

You can pay the basketball coach more if he has a proven record and your football coach is a first time yahoo who has proved nothing yet. I think Pearl was paid more than Dooley at some point while both were here.

What? No blame on the Haslam's? LOL

This decision/negotiation isn't merely on Phil.
Wait, I was told that Fulmer rebelled against the Haslam to hire Pruitt? I thought he finally broke the Haslam stronghold on UT athletics?

It's according to if we find out why he left. If it was really because Fulmer was basically ignoring the basketball program, a lot of heat. Either way he should face some heat, a good part of his job is to retain/hire successful coaches.

If depends on who replaces him? Good, knowledgeable, coach who can recruit, then NO

Another Wade Houston hire & YES

You can if the bball coach is successful and the football coach still has a lot to prove. I'd like to be good at at least one major sport.

VN Store

Back