How much can Jim Chaney improve the Tennessee offense in year one?

I look at Coach Chaney as an optimizer. He will make the most of the talent available and cater plays to players skill sets by taking advantage of their strengths and minimizing/mitigating their weaknesses.

butch and Helton molded players to their system but failed to fully utilize the individual talents of players. (think Kamara, Nathan Peterson, Riley Ferguson, Venzell Boulware, Justin Coleman).

Makes you wonder what he gets out of speedy Tyler Byrd doesn't it?

Reactions: VolsGrad1989
Yeah I rather like Chaney. I still think 08 may have been better than what we have currently. As I remember we still ran the ball with reasonable success, we just had God awful QB play

No Sir Ree! Our OL will be at least average this year.

However, I would say 2008 OL was better than 2017 OL.

Reactions: VolsGrad1989
Here's why I think our offense will be in the top half of the league this year.

1) Veterans at the skill positions
2) Jim Chaney- intermediate throws, get the ball out quickly
3) Our interior OL should be pretty reliable
4) We have talent at tackle, just need 1 or 2 of them to put it together consistently
5) Improved defense, not playing from behind as much
6) I'm a huge Vol homer. Ain't sorry

No. That was a large joke. Everyone knows you cannot use the F word. Wouldn't be PC
I won't give my opinion of the attempt at humor, but being non PC is definitely not the words I would use. The thread was about his coaching ability, not his waist size. If our offense improves, and As long as his health isn't at risk, I don't care if he looks like Jabba the Hutt .

Reactions: Remy
Chaney's ranking as OC in the sec the past decade and Pitt. Can anybody explain why fans go googoo over him? Outside of last year with a top 3 QB, elite receivers and backs, what has he done to get such high praise?

2009 - 43
2010 - 58
2011 - 107
2012 - 22
2013 - 105
2014 - 44
2015 -68 (Pitt)
2016 - 102
2017 - 20
2018 - 14

Chaney's ranking as OC in the sec the past decade and Pitt. Can anybody explain why fans go googoo over him? Outside of last year with a top 3 QB, elite receivers and backs, what has he done to get such high praise?

2009 - 43
2010 - 58
2011 - 107
2012 - 22
2013 - 105
2014 - 44
2015 -68 (Pitt)
2016 - 102
2017 - 20
2018 - 14
He wins more than he loses

Realistically if we can just have a middle of the pack (in the SEC) offense and the defense can take a modest step forward, we’ll have a good chance to win 7-8 games. Having an offense that can sustain drives more consistently should help the defense as well.

It will mostly come down the the OL, IMO. They won’t be (and don’t have to be) world beaters, but if they can just cut down on all the penalties and blown assignments from last year I like our chances to have a decent little offense so long as the skill players stay healthy.

It’s going to come down to the oline. If they improve to maybe 50% of last year production they we will light the scoreboard up. If we play like we did against ETSU last season then we can’t expect much more from last year.

I went back and watched the ETSU game this weekend. Three man rush they were stopping the back in the backfield and knocking JG down.

Where exactly do you see the line caving to a 3-man rush?

From now on any thread regarding offensive performance the answer is always it depends on the o-line. Chaney could be Neyland or Saban but if you don’t have a decent line you don’t have an offense.

The concern I have in the OL is that they are not getting challenged enough in practices or scrimmages by the DL and vice versa. Like the verse in Proverbs that says "iron sharpens iron". Hoping the incoming OL have some dog in them to play some significant roll in the OL improvement. I'm more concerned about the DL at his point though.

With that said it is hard to believe we won't be better on offense this year simply because we were so bad last year.

Reactions: alltimevol2331
The concern I have in the OL is that they are not getting challenged enough in practices or scrimmages by the DL and vice versa. Like the verse in Proverbs that says "iron sharpens iron". Hoping the incoming OL have some dog in them to play some significant roll in the OL improvement. I'm more concerned about the DL at his point though.

With that said it is hard to believe we won't be better on offense this year simply because we were so bad last year.

I have been saying this for past several years. Even if one side looks great in practice which was usually the dline over the oline it still wasn’t a true test on how they would perform on the field. The days are gone that we have one of the best oline in the country which in return would improve our average dline. Of course now that changed in the late 90’s when we had probably too 10 if not top 5 best oline and dline in the country.

Reactions: beneVOLence

VN Store

Back