How much can Jim Chaney improve the Tennessee offense in year one?

From now on any thread regarding offensive performance the answer is always it depends on the o-line. Chaney could be Neyland or Saban but if you don’t have a decent line you don’t have an offense.

Not relative to his conference competition he hasn't

He did in 2009!!! UT's scoring offense was 43rd in the country, not bad with two walk ons (Sullins twins from White House, TN) on the OL!!!! UT's scoring offense was 110th in 2008. That was a move of 57 spots in ONE YEAR!!! To my knowledge, Jacques McClendon (sophomore) was the only returing OL. You had the Sullins' twins starting as well as two freshmen on the OL. Someone correct me if I am wrong on ALL OF THE INFO. But, Luke, You should do some fact finding before you make FALSE COMMENTS!!!

He did in 2009!!! UT's scoring offense was 43rd in the country, not bad with two walk ons (Sullins twins from White House, TN) on the OL!!!! UT's scoring offense was 110th in 2008. That was a move of 57 spots in ONE YEAR!!! To my knowledge, Jacques McClendon (sophomore) was the only returing OL. You had the Sullins' twins starting as well as two freshmen on the OL. Someone correct me if I am wrong on ALL OF THE INFO. But, Luke, You should do some fact finding before you make FALSE COMMENTS!!!
You seriously think our offensive line was worse in 2008 than last season? I think you misunderstood me. I'm not slagging Chaney off, I'm just saying that he's probably inherited the worst offensive line relative to his conference opposition in the entirety of his career

You seriously think our offensive line was worse in 2008 than last season? I think you misunderstood me. I'm not slagging Chaney off, I'm just saying that he's probably inherited the worst offensive line relative to his conference opposition in the entirety of his career

You are right. I did misunderstand you, my mistake. I now know you aren't insulting Chaney. I still say that 2008's OL was worse than Chaney will have in 2019. If right, UT will be vastly improved in scoring offense this season. I say UT improves a TD per game under Chaney. If UT does average 29 ppg this year on O and the D improves a lot as well, I see a 8 win regular season in UT's future!

From now on any thread regarding offensive performance the answer is always it depends on the o-line. Chaney could be Neyland or Saban but if you don’t have a decent line you don’t have an offense.
Nothing says offense like Neyland and Saban.

We couldn’t get anybody open last year. Our offense basically was running the ball and relying on 50/50 deep balls. That will change in a big way as Chaney is brilliant at springing guys open.

We couldn’t get anybody open last year. Our offense basically was running the ball and relying on 50/50 deep balls. That will change in a big way as Chaney is brilliant at springing guys open.
there was a lot of that, agreed. that auburn game especially.

Reactions: VolsGrad1989

A bunch of those 50/50 balls were only contested because Guarantano severely underthrew them.

Reactions: VolsGrad1989
You are right. I did misunderstand you, my mistake. I now know you aren't insulting Chaney. I still say that 2008's OL was worse than Chaney will have in 2019. If right, UT will be vastly improved in scoring offense this season. I say UT improves a TD per game under Chaney. If UT does average 29 ppg this year on O and the D improves a lot as well, I see a 8 win regular season in UT's future!
Yeah I rather like Chaney. I still think 08 may have been better than what we have currently. As I remember we still ran the ball with reasonable success, we just had God awful QB play

When it comes to the passing game, I bet we see a lot of three step drops!

How much can Jim Chaney improve the Tennessee offense in year one? Here’s what the numbers tell us

usa_today_10525591.0.jpg

While the Tennessee Volunteers showed plenty of promise on defense in 2018, the offense was a different story. There were plenty of reasons why the Vols finished the 2018 season as one of the nation’s worst offenses. Injuries, inefficiency, lack of talent, mistakes, miscommunications - you name it - this team faced all factors and could not overcome most of them.

Head coach Jeremy Pruitt and offensive coordinator Tyson Helton did not have much chemistry, either. Helton’s offense routinely clashed with Pruitt’s ideologies and the end result was Helton leaving for the head coaching job at Western Kentucky.
Now, I’m not sayin Pruitt drove Helton away, but one would have to think that if there was room for growth at Tennessee, Helton would have stayed. Regardless, what Helton left behind was an offense that finished as the 84th overall team in the nation in terms of OFEI, according to Football Outsiders.

The Vols finished 2018 as one of the least valued offenses, evidenced by their rank of 107 out of 130 teams in the country, according to FO. Their Offensive Efficiency (OE) grade was a measly 1.81, which basically means that the offense didn’t have many drives that scored points, flipped field position, or helped Tennessee gain any significant momentum (or value) from the drive.

Tennessee also didn’t finish better than 101st in any of the other categories outside of the Turnover Rate (OTO), where a 77th finish was the best the team could do. Such categories include first down rate, touchdown rate, ball control rate, and others.

Georgia, on the other hand, finished 2018 as the nation’s third-best overall team in terms of OFEI, fourth-best in terms of OE, and were inside the top-10 of every category except turnover rate, where the Bulldogs finished 11th. Now, this was Chaney’s third year as Georgia’s OC, so he has had to time to implement his system and his players have had time to grow in said system, which is obviously not the case with UT. So, in order to get a more realistic idea of how Chaney could impact this offense, I took a look at his first year as OC at every stop (Tennessee, Arkansas, Pittsburgh, Georgia) and compared it to the program’s previous year of offensive output before Chaney’s arrival. We’ll go in chronological order to keep it simple, starting with Chaney’s first go in Knoxville. Chaney became OC in 2009 when Lane Kiffin was hired to replace Phillip Fulmer. The Vols were abysmal on offense in 2008 despite having a dark horse Heisman Trophy candidate in Arian Foster and all five starters returning on an offensive line that only allowed four sacks in 2007.

Really good read. If the O-Line can be at least servicable. Chaney could have the offense humming by November.

GBO

Betwingst me and you, yes.

When one completes 8 third and longs against Auburn, I don't think the QB unde rthrew many balls whic were not called to be under thrown.

I don’t remember game by game, but he underthrew a good number of long balls last season.

VN Store

Back