How many times have we seen gator ...

receivers running around open against UT's defense with no one within 5 yards of them and catching the ball? In another thread, I was involved in discussing Felipe Franks and with horror recall a few of his game winning antics against us. Then I caught a few other memories where Spurrier somehow had receivers consistently running wide open with no Vol defender in the tv screen catching balls against the Chiefs Ds. Then watched Myer do the same things during his stint there.

Different HCs for UF & UT, different coordinators, same results though, UF receivers running wide open through our defenses, how the %$#@ does that happen over and over and over again for years seemingly unending?? Frustrated crusty old guy that is becoming a day drinker over crap like this. We literally made Wuerffel who couldn't break a pane of glass floating the ball up the Heisman winner single handedly. Pruitt, save me! lol
Well, here is one theory. We always played Florida early. Our secondary had not truly cut it's teeth on anything even remotely as good as the Gator's WR's. During the Spurrier years, Florida was stacked at WR. Add to that, Spurrier was great at finding the weakest link. He also never abandoned the run game. He established it, early, and used it to fool LB's and safeties.
Traditionally, UF used their first two games to work on their offensive identity, and UT used them to hide their identity from Spurrier. By the time we played them, they were a well-greased machine, and we were still finding ourselves.
The 2001 game exposed many things that people suspected all along. UT was just as talented, just as deep and just as good as UF. But, we had been in some tough games, and we knew who and what we were. Florida couldn't intimidate us, or make us panic. Either on the field, nor the sidelines. We played physical and fast, and rolled out of there with a hard fought victory, over a very good Gator team.
Receivers were open, alot. Gus had a good game, stat-wise. But he and his receivers took a physical beating. The run game was a non-factor. Florida was forced to throw way more than they liked, and were relegated to short passes. UT's offensive line ruled the day, and Travis Stephens wore down the Gator defense. UT's forced its will on the Gator defense.
Don't forget, UT battled back, after a few turnovers that resulted in Florida points, to go ahead, late. All of this......IN THE SWAMP. Sorry, I was reminiscing. I still have that game on VHS. lol. I'd love to see the UT vs UF game moved to later in the season, along with UGA.

Reactions: FïreBall and 08Vol
Raymond Austin and Deron Jenkins weren’t the best cover corners.

They were quite possibly the only weakness on those mid-90s UT teams.

I have noticed this as well OP. Also, I have thought about it. Most of these other posters are being facetious but I honestly think it is the talent gap. Most of the Florida roster sports Florida kids. We have had a few. Florida has a larger population. Weather is warmer longer. Their kids play outside more. Hence, they are typically more athletic.

Reactions: 08Vol
receivers running around open against UT's defense with no one within 5 yards of them and catching the ball? In another thread, I was involved in discussing Felipe Franks and with horror recall a few of his game winning antics against us. Then I caught a few other memories where Spurrier somehow had receivers consistently running wide open with no Vol defender in the tv screen catching balls against the Chiefs Ds. Then watched Myer do the same things during his stint there.

Different HCs for UF & UT, different coordinators, same results though, UF receivers running wide open through our defenses, how the %$#@ does that happen over and over and over again for years seemingly unending?? Frustrated crusty old guy that is becoming a day drinker over crap like this. We literally made Wuerffel who couldn't break a pane of glass floating the ball up the Heisman winner single handedly. Pruitt, save me! lol

Spurrier had WR’s running wide open against everyone. He brought in a revolutionary offense during a time when defenses had lumbering safeties and LB’s still trying to cover speedy WR’s and RB’s. Defenses weren’t running nickel and dime packages, and to the extent they were, it was not with elite cover guys, so Spurrier exploited that with a bunch of sub-4.4 guys getting wide open against 4.7 defenders haplessly chasing behind them.

Meyer was similar, early days of the true spread option offense, coupled with generationally great players like Tebow, Percy, Rainey, Demps, etc.

Mullen is arguably the best offensive coach and playcaller in the SEC right now, with possibly Jimbo Fisher being the only one better. Mullen was the brains behind UF’s record-setting offenses under Meyer. When Mullen left, the downfall began.

How the hell UF was getting people open during the Muschamp and Mac eras remains a complete mystery. The idea that UT went 1-6 against that combo of coaches is amazing.

Last edited:
All I can think of is why the hell is this on your mind
Shoulder surgery last week. Doing the insomnia thing, mentioned Franks in another thread, watched a few plays from the past, and bit a coach belt in two watching feckless defenses.

Spurrier had WR’s running wide open against everyone. He brought in a revolutionary offense during a time when defenses had lumbering safeties and LB’s trying to cover speedy WR’s and RB’s.

Meyer was similar, early days of the true spread option offense, coupled with generationally great players like Tebow, Percy, Rainey, Demps, etc.

Mullen is arguably the best offensive coach and playcaller in the SEC right now, with possibly Jimbo Fisher being the only one better. Mullen was the brains behind UF’s record-setting offenses under Meyer. When Mullen left, the downfall began.

How the hell UF was getting people open during the Muschamp and Mac eras remains a complete mystery. The idea that UT went 1-6 against that combo of coaches is amazing.

Man giving a gator a like means I'm going to have to double shot my orange juice this week to wipe the bad taste out of my mouth but the above is a solid post.

Well, here is one theory. We always played Florida early. Our secondary had not truly cut it's teeth on anything even remotely as good as the Gator's WR's. During the Spurrier years, Florida was stacked at WR. Add to that, Spurrier was great at finding the weakest link. He also never abandoned the run game. He established it, early, and used it to fool LB's and safeties.
Traditionally, UF used their first two games to work on their offensive identity, and UT used them to hide their identity from Spurrier. By the time we played them, they were a well-greased machine, and we were still finding ourselves.
The 2001 game exposed many things that people suspected all along. UT was just as talented, just as deep and just as good as UF. But, we had been in some tough games, and we knew who and what we were. Florida couldn't intimidate us, or make us panic. Either on the field, nor the sidelines. We played physical and fast, and rolled out of there with a hard fought victory, over a very good Gator team.
Receivers were open, alot. Gus had a good game, stat-wise. But he and his receivers took a physical beating. The run game was a non-factor. Florida was forced to throw way more than they liked, and were relegated to short passes. UT's offensive line ruled the day, and Travis Stephens wore down the Gator defense. UT's forced its will on the Gator defense.
Don't forget, UT battled back, after a few turnovers that resulted in Florida points, to go ahead, late. All of this......IN THE SWAMP. Sorry, I was reminiscing. I still have that game on VHS. lol. I'd love to see the UT vs UF game moved to later in the season, along with UGA.

2001 was the toughest defeat I recall as a Gator fan, along with 93 FSU and of course the 95 disaster against Nebraska. 2001 was probably Spurrier’s best team, certainly the best team not to win a championship, and I remain convinced that if a playoff were around back then, Spurrier would have won his second national title. That Gator team was LOADED. That UT team was awesome too, best game I’ve ever seen a UT team play. And it was an outstanding game, very well played by two teams loaded with NFL players.

Regarding those 90’s games during the Spurrier era, if you go back and watch some of those, Spurrier would go 4 or 5 wide, which nobody was doing back then, and some poor LB with the huge over-sized shoulder pads, built for SEC run-game ground and pound offenses, would be trying to cover a Florida WR. The only kryptonite to those Spurrier offenses was a fierce, unrelenting pass rush. FSU was the first to figure that out. The had elite DE’s and would blitz like crazy. Tennessee sacked UF a bunch of times in 97 too. Spurrier eventually adjusted by implementing the shotgun. Most people don’t know that Spurrier’s first 5 or 6 Florida teams NEVER operated out of the shotgun.

Reactions: kbear01 and 08Vol
2001 was the toughest defeat I recall as a Gator fan, along with 93 FSU and of course the 95 disaster against Nebraska. 2001 was probably Spurrier’s best team, certainly the best team not to win a championship, and I remain convinced that if a playoff were around back then, Spurrier would have won his second national title. That Gator team was LOADED. That UT team was awesome too, best game I’ve ever seen a UT team play. And it was an outstanding game, very well played by two teams loaded with NFL players.

Regarding those 90’s games during the Spurrier era, if you go back and watch some of those, Spurrier would go 4 or 5 wide, which nobody was doing back then, and some poor LB with the huge over-sized shoulder pads, built for SEC run-game ground and pound offenses, would be trying to cover a Florida WR. The only kryptonite to those Spurrier offenses was a fierce, unrelenting pass rush. FSU was the first to figure that out. The had elite DE’s and would blitz like crazy. Tennessee sacked UF a bunch of times in 97 too. Spurrier eventually adjusted by implementing the shotgun. Most people don’t know that Spurrier’s first 5 or 6 Florida teams NEVER operated out of the shotgun.

I think Miami’s 2001 team beats our 2001 team by a couple TDs. It would have looked similar to our Sugar Bowl loss to them the previous season.

John Hoke’s defense gave up 200+ yards to Travis Stephens. Clinton Portis would have had 400 with that OL. Our passing game going up against a secondary with two All-Americans in Phillip Buchanon and NFL Hall of Famer Ed Reed?

That Miami team was crazy loaded.

Last edited:
It's really simple.

During the Spurrier era, Florida had receivers running wide open against everyone.

Since the Meyer era, everyone has had receivers running wide open against Tennessee.

It's really simple.

During the Spurrier era, Florida had receivers running wide open against everyone.

Since the Meyer era, everyone has had receivers running wide open against Tennessee.
Yea since the Meyer era its definitely been more a Tennessee thing than a Florida thing

[QUOTE="Jaws, post: 16847253,member: 70859]

Regarding those 90’s games during the Spurrier era, if you go back and watch some of those, Spurrier would go 4 or 5 wide, which nobody was doing back then, and some poor LB with the huge over-sized shoulder pads, built for SEC run-game ground and pound offenses, would be trying to cover a Florida WR. The only kryptonite to those Spurrier offenses was a fierce, unrelenting pass rush. FSU was the first to figure that out. The had elite DE’s and would blitz like crazy. Tennessee sacked UF a bunch of times in 97 too. Spurrier eventually adjusted by implementing the shotgun. Most people don’t know that Spurrier’s first 5 or 6 Florida teams NEVER operated out of the shotgun.[/QUOTE]

I think you’re right. The common theme for beating the Gators was basically try to kill the Quarterback . I saw a replay of the ‘97 game vs FSU in Tally and Wuerffel took a beating of a lifetime. In this age of football I don’t think FSU would finish that game with under 10 ejections. It was almost criminal.
In our game in 2001 Chavis gameplan of introducing the Prowler and our D line always shifting presnap really causes havoc and Grossman really took some shots in that game too. I also think If replay were used then like today we probably forced 3 turnovers that were not given to us . But, that is neither here nor there. The key to beating those SOS UF teams was living and dying by the blitz. For some reason FSU figured that our earlier than we did.

Reactions: Jaws and 08Vol

In essence, UF was designed to beat UT. UT was designed to beat the rest of the SEC. Alabama, Auburn and UGA in particular.

Reactions: Jaws
Save yourself some heartache OP and skip watching this years game, too. Won’t be pretty.

When it comes to Florida, Tennessee more times than not, looks like a bad High School team when playing the Gators. Tennessee just seems intimidated by Florida, you could say, Florida is in their heads!
For the most part, Florida almost always has the better tallent, it is what it is, unfortunately.
Here's to changing the talent differential, but I'm not holding my breath, because it's been this way for almost 40 years

Still:
Go Vols

VN Store

Back