How many of you would like to see Tennessee lose out to prove your point?

If you'd rather wallow in your ignorance than admit that this team is improving, you may be part of the problem I was alluding to in the original post -- which is perhaps why you have taken such offense to it. In any event, I have work to do. Enjoy your day.
Stupid stuff man, ive admitted the improvment multiple times....we didnt hang with Georgia. Its not my fault you started your op with inaccurate information.

Your posts are literally the definition of looking at the final score and not paying attention to the game. I assume you watched? If we're basing it on whether Tennessee covered the spread, a 65-yard scoop-and-score after a sack-fumble near the end of the game doesn't erase what happened for the 55 minutes of gameplay prior to that point. It was a two-possession game midway through the fourth quarter. The end.
In fairness, your post smacks of the type of moral victory hyperbole that we used to ridicule fans of other programs for engaging in. This is a zero sum game. Winning is all that matters. Pruitt is in his second season and we're no better off than we were a year ago, maybe worse seeing as how we may not get to five wins with a weaker schedule and we're unlikely to notch any wins against ranked opponents irregardless of whether they're overrated. Other coaches who started with dumpster fires have done a lot better by year two. Doing some stuff good and some stuff bad won't cut it.

Some people just prefer to be miserable and UT has been very accommodating to the legion of the miserable. Now that UT looks to be turning the corner and optimism is on the rise, the miserable may have to focus on other endeavors.

Some people just prefer to be miserable and UT has been very accommodating to the legion of the miserable. Now that UT looks to be turning the corner and optimism is on the rise, the miserable may have to focus on other endeavors.
Must be. We're all huddled up in someone's basement just hoping that we never have a repeat of '98. LOL. Are you really that stupid?

In fairness, your post smacks of the type of moral victory hyperbole that we used to ridicule fans of other programs for engaging in. This is a zero sum game. Winning is all that matters. Pruitt is in his second season and we're no better off than we were a year ago, maybe worse seeing as how we may not get to five wins with a weaker schedule and we're unlikely to notch any wins against ranked opponents irregardless of whether they're overrated. Other coaches who started with dumpster fires have done a lot better by year two. Doing some stuff good and some stuff bad won't cut it.

Moral victories are when you're content with coming up short but being able to feel like you competed. I don't think anyone's content with losing to Georgia and Alabama, no matter what the score was. But being able to compete with those teams is a whole lot better than simply being dominated by them, as has been the case for the past couple of years. You have to be able to stay on the field with the elite teams before you can beat the same teams. This thing was never going to be turned around in a day. And there's no one more impatient than me; I expected 8 wins this year, if we're being honest...7 if it turned out to be an average year and 6 as the absolute lowest acceptable win total.

Crawl before you walk. That's what I keep saying. Right now Tennessee is like the toddler that's toddling all over the living room -- kinda out of control, but almost able to get from point A to point B without slipping and falling. It's gonna be a while before that toddler is out in the yard running sprints, but it sure beats where he was at after the GaSt game, curled up in the fetal position and sucking his thumb. I've been a big critic of Pruitt, but I began to like what I was seeing from him along about the week of the Georgia game. As long as this team continues to improve, that's all we can ask for at this point.

It's all about getting the talent. If Pruitt can swing a top 10 class ranking after pooping the sheets to start this season then I'll see some value in letting next season play out. If he strikes out on most of the top talent that his staff has spent so much time and money courting the past couple of years and we wind up with a lackluster class then we may as well stick a fork in this guy. This staff was not hired to identify diamonds in the rough and coach 'em up for a few years before they're ready to play.

It's ridiculous to assume that Vol fans would want the team to lose just to prove a point. What point? Quite frankly, it's just a dumb assertion. The improvement in this team is becoming more obvious every week. Unfortunately, it's not showing up on the scoreboard yet. It's clear that we're not there yet considering that we're still losing to Florida, Georgia, Alabama by wide margins but there appears to be signs of life. I also don't see a problem with folks discussing the deficiencies in the team. It's doesn't make me any less of a fan to point out the negative.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Moral victories are when you're content with coming up short but being able to feel like you competed. I don't think anyone's content with losing to Georgia and Alabama, no matter what the score was. But being able to compete with those teams is a whole lot better than simply being dominated by them, as has been the case for the past couple of years. You have to be able to stay on the field with the elite teams before you can beat the same teams. This thing was never going to be turned around in a day. And there's no one more impatient than me; I expected 8 wins this year, if we're being honest...7 if it turned out to be an average year and 6 as the absolute lowest acceptable win total.

Crawl before you walk. That's what I keep saying. Right now Tennessee is like the toddler that's toddling all over the living room -- kinda out of control, but almost able to get from point A to point B without slipping and falling. It's gonna be a while before that toddler is out in the yard running sprints, but it sure beats where he was at after the GaSt game, curled up in the fetal position and sucking his thumb. I've been a big critic of Pruitt, but I began to like what I was seeing from him along about the week of the Georgia game. As long as this team continues to improve, that's all we can ask for at this point.
I think the issue many have is that we've been here before (i.e., we've been able to compete for a period of time against a clearly superior team) but there's never any follow through. Every reason for optimism since 2008 has just been a fakeout. How many times since then has it looked like we're about to be able to walk, or even run, just to fall down again and start over?

Kiffin had moments where it looked like he was about to walk. Dooley had moments where it looked like he was about to walk. You can argue that Butch did walk and looked like he was about to run. However, before getting there, we fell down and had to start over, oftentimes in inexplicable fashion. This isn't the first time the fanbase has been told we have to go through this process, and thus far every single reason for optimism has ultimately been vanquished. I think that's the reason why you see cynicism and skepticism about another "Well we lost, but at least we were competitive for 3.5 quarters" game. Much of the fanbase has gone into a "just wake me up when we've arrived" mode, IMO.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
With the QB play they are gonna get if Maurer is done, the Vols could lose out. But, they are on the right track and only need a serviceable QB and an SEC level starting tailback going forward. Well, that and a lot of depth.

They hung with GA until near the end of the 2nd quarter. Bama should've been closer or a possible upset without those stupid penalties, lack of PI/roughing the passer penalties against Bama, and the false flag when TN went into the wildcat.

I think the issue many have is that we've been here before (i.e., we've been able to compete for a period of time against a clearly superior team) but there's never any follow through. Every reason for optimism since 2008 has just been a fakeout. How many times since then has it looked like we're about to be able to walk, or even run, just to fall down again and start over?

Kiffin had moments where it looked like he was about to walk. Dooley had moments where it looked like he was about to walk. You can argue that Butch did walk and looked like he was about to run. However, before getting there, we fell down and had to start over, oftentimes in inexplicable fashion. This isn't the first time the fanbase has been told we have to go through this process, and thus far every single reason for optimism has ultimately been vanquished. I think that's the reason why you see cynicism and skepticism about another "Well we lost, but at least we were competitive for 3.5 quarters" game. Much of the fanbase has gone into a "just wake me up when we've arrived" mode, IMO.

I don't disagree with any of that. I was there, too. Dooley was probably the most underwhelming hire in the history of big-time college football, but I convinced myself before he ever got to the podium that he was a good coach. Then, when he killed it at his introductory presser, I was all-in. With Butch, I was a little more reserved (given the way the Dooley experiment had just collapsed around us) but he said all the right things and recruited at what appeared to be a high level, and I was eventually sold on him, too. With Pruitt, I said I wasn't playing that game again. I said I was out until he proved me wrong. And I'm definitely not all-in yet, but I'm seeing things out of Pruitt's team that we never saw out of Butch's teams or Dooley's teams.

I guess for me, the bottom line is this: I'll never completely forgive Pruitt for losing to Georgia State (or BYU for that matter), but I'm not going to hold it against him as long as his team is developing. It still makes me bitter to think that if Maurer can't go Saturday we're almost certainly not going to make a bowl game this season, whereas we were almost guaranteed a bowl bid if we had taken care of business in those two very winnable games to start the season. But the OL is probably playing at a higher level right now than it ever played under Butch, and there's no excuse for how well that ragtag group of DL is playing right now. I like what I'm seeing. Maybe we can't sustain it...but maybe we can. Either way, Pruitt is going to be the coach for the rest of this year and next year at a bare minimum. I'd rather focus on the positives and hope we can build on them than wallow in the misery of what I can't control.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
I mean, would you like for me to include 2004 when we beat Georgia and Alabama? I'm not following your logic. Most UT fans were relatively satisfied with the state of the program in 2015 and 2016. The point is that we crashed in 2017, it is Jeremy Pruitt's job to resurrect us from that low point, and that's what he's doing.
Wasn’t the “low point” losing to GA State?

Wasn’t the “low point” losing to GA State?

It was the low point of Tennessee football in my lifetime for sure. But sometimes you go lower before you start up. Where is rock bottom? Just because you hire a new coach doesn't mean you've hit rock bottom...and that also doesn't mean he can't wind up being a good coach. I know most people are sick of hearing the comparison, and I guess I am too, but it still holds truth: If you go back to 2007, you'll probably find plenty of Alabama fans who thought Saban's loss to Louisiana Monroe was their low point.

I laugh sometimes when I read this forum. There is a group of people on this board who were adamant that Tennessee couldn't hang with Georgia. They thumbed their nose at anyone who suggested otherwise. And then Tennessee was still in the game until early in the fourth quarter. So the same people then said that there was no way Tennessee could hang with Alabama. Again, they thumbed their nose at anyone who suggested otherwise. And then Tennessee was still in the game until midway through the fourth quarter.

Y'all laughed at everyone who said that Tennessee might actually be able to play with UGA and Bama. Then when Tennessee DID play with UGA and Bama, you're the same folks who have been on here the last two days making all kinds of excuses for why the games really weren't as close as the scores indicated. "But Tua was hurt..." "But they were playing conservative..." "But, but, but..." When someone disagrees, you drag out the really dumb claim of "moral victories." And you trip over yourself to flame the team and players that you proclaim to support. You trash Brian Maurer. You trash the coaches. You whiz on the effort of a group of young men who went out and laid it all on the line against a far superior team on the road at Alabama.

So why don't we just go ahead and admit it: some of you are so hung up on the loss to Georgia State that you're secretly hoping that we lose to South Carolina and Vanderbilt and whoever else we need to lose to in between that will help usher out Jeremy Pruitt. You don't care about bowl eligibility or recruiting; you care about getting a new coach, as if an administration that has gotten it wrong for four consecutive hires is going to somehow strike gold on hire number five. I'll admit that all fan bases have their idguts, but I'm not sure I've ever seen a fan forum that spends as much energy as this one trashing their own team.
Why don't these people who have probably never put on a jock strap just turn in their Orange card ?

Name two and I will help you give them crap. You and the OP both are morons if you think there are more than one or two idiots on the forum that believe that. I don't believe anyone that wasn't in a Saturday night stupor would actually post something that blatantly stupid.
Look at the likes and follow up posts on the original post.

tenor.gif

We are definitely better than last year at this time and now it is apparent that all we needed was a decent Qb

Your posts are literally the definition of looking at the final score and not paying attention to the game. I assume you watched? If we're basing it on whether Tennessee covered the spread, a 65-yard scoop-and-score after a sack-fumble near the end of the game doesn't erase what happened for the 55 minutes of gameplay prior to that point. It was a two-possession game midway through the fourth quarter. The end.
10 years from now you are simply left with the final score, and cumulative record for the year. It’s literally all a team is judged by.

Reactions: I40flyer
Look at the likes and follow up posts on the original post.
The likes mean that there are plenty on here that believe that there are plenty on here who believe that ish. None of the followups name ANY POSTER that actually believes that. So my point is proven. Until you can name 2 honest to goodness believable posters who want us to lose out to prove their point, it's still a stupid thread and conspiracy theory.

I simply said I would believe the two of you if you could prove it. You didn't, you can't, so I don't.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back