How many of us have donated to Spyre?

How many of us donate to Spyre?

• I do I do!

Votes: 75 23.9%
  • Not yet...

Votes: 239 76.1%

• Total voters
They’ve arranged NIL deals worth 3.5 mil, fans have “donated” around $500,000, and Spyre gets to keep 10%, so they’ve made close to $500k in less than a year. Not too bad for them, no wonder they’re constantly asking for more.

What we keep also goes into operational costs for the business and the event series that we do.

It’s all an interesting concept. I’m old school and never imagined a time when fans would be petitioned to help make teenagers rich. Many old schoolers think businesses should offer free or “at cost” caps and clothing with their “brand” for the free advertising. Common sense tells us the networks are $$$ and we already pay to WATCH the games … and for tickets … clothes … banners … toys … personal tuition … but I get it. And won’t criticize how anyone spends their extra cash or fun money. It’s just amazing how the NIL $ “loophole” has changed athletics.

someone else posted this but I think that it needs to be shared here:
22481069-2f12-49b9-86bf-fa555286ccee-png.466377
That’s all well and good but my Dad works for Nintendo and I actually clean the pool of the head of Spyre and in between his pool deck margarita benders fueled by that 10% cut Spyre retains from donations, he told me Danny White is a lying piece of trash. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but I do know Danny White lied to the UT fans and media when he said BYU wanted out of the UT game in Provo. Somehow BYU still hasn’t filled that game they desperately wanted out of. Now I’m not calling for his head or anything, but in a world where the Eyetalians say keep your friends close and keep your enemies closer, I hope Mike White coaches basketball at Georgia until they bury him next to Larry Munson.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
If this was strictly merit-based, I think I would be more on board with it. My main sticking point with this whole concept is I would rather the money go towards actually rewarding players for their accomplishments while they are here, rather than merely incentivizing them to come here in the first place. It just feels gross to me. It feels like a bribe. I love UT sports but not enough to sell my soul and go against my own principles. There are more important things in life.
I get it but I owe my grades, career, traffic record, and marital status to bribery and think we need to get over our squeamishness here because I can assure you that our rival will. If it wasn’t for bribery, I’d only have my handsome face and my Savior (which is really all you need anyway).

That’s all well and good but my Dad works for Nintendo and I actually clean the pool of the head of Spyre and in between his pool deck margarita benders fueled by that 10% cut Spyre retains from donations, he told me Danny White is a lying piece of trash. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but I do know Danny White lied to the UT fans and media when he said BYU wanted out of the UT game in Provo. Somehow BYU still hasn’t filled that game they desperately wanted out of. Now I’m not calling for his head or anything, but in a world where the Eyetalians say keep your friends close and keep your enemies closer, I hope Mike White coaches basketball at Georgia until they bury him next to Larry Munson.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Tell him to hurry up and get some damn games out for the Switch! Mine's collecting dust!!

Reading thru many comments, there seems to be 2 trains of thought. One is everyone is making money using the kids talents, and the kids get nothing, which isn’t fair - and that’s a fair assessment. The other is - in light of the previous thought - the FANS should be the ones who make up the difference. That’s also reasonable in theory. The kicker is the FANS and supporters are already are paying .., it’s not our fault we have no say in how the hands that receive OUR $ are allowed to spend our $. There’s plenty of $ to make everyone happy if it’s used wisely. It’s not our fault it is not.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
No we don’t. I promise you I could make more money in other avenues. We do this to help Tennessee get better.
If this is someone at Spyre I feel better you would communicate with folks doubting like me. I do feel nickel and diming is a tough road. I have ideas about how to attract large donors. I’ll send my info to you. My wife wouldn’t let me pursue it. But i spent about 3 months researching. It’s similar to what you’re doing. Ultimately, I wanna help tn be dominate again like you.

If this is someone at Spyre I feel better you would communicate with folks doubting like me. I do feel nickel and diming is a tough road. I have ideas about how to attract large donors. I’ll send my info to you. My wife wouldn’t let me pursue it. But i spent about 3 months researching. It’s similar to what you’re doing. Ultimately, I wanna help tn be dominate again like you.

Always happy to talk to anyone. It takes everyone going in the same direction. We just want to help bring Tennessee back. Will@spyresports.com

Being honest, that percentage of people donating is pretty dang good considering the newness of this whole process.
And the the culture of this fanbase 😌.

With that said, I bet you Texas A&M and Alabama, and Ohio State fans bases are giving at a higher percentage.

I'm not worried about it. People have to donate based off their own reasons.
It's in place now, and data will inevitably come out over the next 2 years about who is raising more money, and how it translates to recruiting rankings.

In regards to people signing up for Spyre, Ryan Callahan (247) said this today:

There are plenty of people within Tennessee’s program who would echo this message.

People within the Tennessee AD want people to sign up for Spyre.

I've heard all the excuses on why you shouldn't.

Guess what? Times have changed. We have a real chance to compete against the rest.

This place during the season is a cesspool of negativity. People complaining about the talent, coaches, or administration.

Guess what? You have a chance to change it.

Donate. $25 a month.

Couple fast food meals a month.

I've not given a nickel to them. They cannot assure me that the money will go to kids that will be at Tennessee until they finish their eligibility. Players can take money and leave at anytime for another opportunity.

The same could be said for every other school.

The primary argument against your logic is that without NIL money the recruits will never come here to begin with.

$5 a month is better than nothing but it isn't much.

If you're fine being a mid to lower tier SEC school then don't donate.

Luckily, others don't feel this way and are donating so we are landing recruits like Nico.

The primary argument against your logic is that without NIL money the recruits will never come here to begin with.

Luckily, others don't feel this way and are donating so we are landing recruits like Nico.

actually I donated money to UT for 45 years. Stopped 2 years ago and let them take back my tickets. I'm fine with the fact I feel I have more than fulfilled my obligation to the Tennessee football program. I will let the next generation carry forward.

I'm certainly not concerned with other schools.

Last edited:

This dude is really trying to shame people into donating $25 a month and acting like he had something to do with landing Nico

Reactions: tbh and feathersax
This dude is really trying to shame people into donating $25 a month and acting like he had something to do with landing Nico

No shaming involved.

CFB has changed.

Either we have NIL deals that compete at a high level or we don't.

A lot of that will depend on the fans.

I did the Rocky Top (5 a month) thing about 2 months ago.Supposed to get an email and newsletter monthly.I haven’t gotten anything but a charge on my CC so far.I’ll give it a month or so before contacting them and graduating them to the NFL (not for long club).

Checkerboard member here. Seriously thinking about moving up to the Smokey tier.

Here’s the realization that I’ve come to. It doesn’t really matter how we feel about college kids getting tons of money. The fact is it’s here. It’s happening, and it’s not going away. So I had to ask myself. “What if every fan decided to opt out?” That would ABSOLUTELY negatively impact the program that we love so dearly. So do I want to fight against something that will inevitably get stronger as we move forward or do I want to play an active part in finally bringing this program back? The lowest option is $5 a month. I piss away $5 a day, so I don’t think it’s a tall ask for Spyre to request at least 16 pennies a day from a fan (fanatic). Especially seeing how major programs are losing big time recruits over their lack of, or insufficient NIL packages.

VN Store

Back