How Many of Our Guys could start or play significant minutes for other top tier SEC Teams?

dgrind65

Bryce Thompson - thoughts?
Eric Gray - Would play at least some for most teams
Henry To'o To'o - Would start for any team
Trey Smith - Would start for any team
Cade Mayes - Would start for any team
Wanya Morris- thoughts?
Darnell Wright- thoughts?
Darel Middleton- thoughts?
Aubrey Solomon - thoughts?
Alonte' Taylor - thoughts?

Harrison Bailey - ?

any others?

Plenty actually. Qb play changes the dynamics of entire game. And this is the worst qb play I have ever seen for an elongated period of time.

We have skill at every position on offense. SEC skill.

DL and LB are still kind of low on talent.

Not many. Agree with Trey Smith, To'o To'o. Eric Gray could probably gets some pt.

But Velus Jones looks like the most explosive player we have the few times he gets the ball. I think we're underusing him.

Reactions: Remy and dgrind65
DL makes DBs look worst than they are.
I think neither one help the other. Some plays it's because D Line doesn't get pressure, some times it's because DBs (also LBs) can't cover people to allow time for the line to generate any pressure.

DL isn't the most talented, but I think they've played better the last couple of games. Been mostly solid in the run game, they have gotten some pressure. DBs have had several breakdowns for huge gains or touchdowns the last two games, and have really struggled covering slants/ the middle of the field on third down.

The reality is all three levels of the defense need to play better.

Not many. Agree with Trey Smith, To'o To'o. Eric Gray could probably gets some pt.

But Velus Jones looks like the most explosive player we have the few times he gets the ball. I think we're underusing him.

Agree on Velus - need to see more from him than just the occasional end around hand off

Reactions: Vol524
With players like Velus Jones the thing that's really irritating is that it seems that other top programs are able to get productivity out of the their freshmen athletes and also they have multiple effective options at quarterback. These coaches have had this program for multiple years now. The excuses are running out. Do what you have to do to get guys ready. I love Jeremy Pruitt and he seems like a great person but it's beginning to be very questionable if he can be the leader of an elite program. I really hope he figures it out. It's too late this year in my opinion. The only thing that would change my mind is a 3 game winning streak.

Reactions: 08Vol
Wanya Morris- thoughts?

Harrison Bailey - ?

any others?
SEC teams where Beldar would be Head Coach? Effin ZERO.

With competent coaching, probably most of them. Goes back again to the Urban Meyer statement someone shared about there being very few bad players at this level of football. It's usually just something holding them back from reaching their potential.

If we are going top tier SEC teams this year as in: Bama, UF, UGA, A&M

I would say the following would be getting significant snaps on those teams: E. Gray, H. TooToo, T. Smith, C. Mays

Other viable options wouldn't start but compete for snaps

Reactions: dgrind65
With regard to all of the players listed, several would be good enough to play. Whether they start over other players, I don’t know.

Usually I am someone who thinks most RBs and WRs could switch teams and no one would ever know.

Reactions: memtownvol
Agree with Allvol. We're not perfect, but we have a lot of guys who could start for virtually any team in the SEC including Eric Gray, Jalin Hyatt, Henry To'o To'o, Bryce Thompson, etc.

We're thin at TE. Outside of To'o, we need more talent at ILB. Also need more help at DL. Our Freshmen WRs need more experience.

But really, QB is 80% of our problem right now. With a good QB, we're 5-2. Even with a just a semi-competent QB, we beat Kentucky and maybe Auburn. With an elite QB, we're maybe 6-1.

To me, this is the reverse of 2018 when even an elite QB couldn't have won a lot of those games given the issues on both lines. We're just a QB away from being competitive. It's shameful that we're 2-5 all because of terrible QB play.

Wanya Morris- thoughts?

Harrison Bailey - ?

any others?
If your talking about top tier as in Alabama, GA, FL, and A&M.

Only Trey starts
Cade, Henry, and Gray are rotational guys at best.
None of those other guys play.

The one exception might be Palmer, he’s not had compentent QB play since he’s been here, so he’s ceiling is unknown

I like Velus returning kicks, but he is a paper tiger on offense. The little RPO boop pass twice per game seems to be his only use. He must really suck in practice, because he is on the do not call list in coverage.

Plus Cade Mays has played himself out of a plum draft pick and big contract. If I am his father, I tell him to stay another year.

Reactions: 08Vol
I would put money on Hyatt getting A LOT of PT anywhere. He is being waaaay underutilized. For obvious reasons.

No more than 4 players would make the two-deep for Fla, Ala, Ga. Gray, Mays, T, possibly Taylor.

The DL is the main reason our defense has issues. They do so little and have no real positive impact on the game. If you have to blitz to get pressure in the modern age of football you are in bad shape and we have to blitz to get any pressure. We get no negative plays from the DL save a few sacks here and there. No consistent pressure and no penetration causing teams to go lateral.

VN Store

Back