How many Nascar fans??

I'll get hammered for this, but I just don't understand the appeal of Dale Jr.

Originally posted by GAVol@Feb 2, 2005 9:30 PM
I'll get hammered for this, but I just don't understand the appeal of Dale Jr.

I think most of it is sympathy to be honest with you.

My sister's room is like a shrine to Jr.
Red carpet and everything.

Originally posted by K-town Vol Fan@Feb 2, 2005 9:45 PM
I think most of it is sympathy to be honest with you.

Maybe so. I don't have anything against him. I think it's pretty clear that he's a good driver. It's just that every time I hear him open his mouth I get the distinct impression that if his dad wasn't Dale Earnhardt he'd probably be working at a gas station.

E is the man, the sport will never be the same since his death.

Attachments

• earnht01.jpg
    earnht01.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 0
in all actuality, the death of dale earnahrdt is what brought nascar to the nation's attention. it has grown exponentially since, with racetracks being built all over the country and adding new races. my only regret is that they are dropping somw of the old traditional races for the new ones. i think they should at least keep the old tracks and just have one race a year at the new ones.

i say let's race South of the M-D, and East of the Mississippi. How about that?

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 0
I've followed na$car for 20+ years, and the sport is on the decline. Last year's tv rating were down from the year before. They've removed most of the races that were traditional staples on the schedule. The tickets are priced completely out of range of the middle class. The na$car management has totally screwed over the fan that supported them for years. And because they will do nothing to reign in the conglomerates of the sport like Roush, Hendrick, Ganassi, and DEI, you're going to start seeing a lot of the historic teams like RCR, Petty Enterprises, and the Wood Bros forced out of the sport. It's already forced out Junior Johnson, Bud Moore, Bobby Allison, Cale Yarborough, Bob Rahilli and Butch Mock, and Junie Donlovey.

hahahahahahah

yall dont know jack about nascar.

jr is popular because of sympathy? :dlol: whats with that.

and milo comeon man. if people wanna love earnhardt let them. hell they gave martin luther king his OWN HOLIDAY. :bs:

earnhardt was a great man and competitor. if yall are just gonna bad mouth nascar and earnhardt and jr. and everything about it.

then SHUT UP.

and johnson city vol, nascar is the # 2 sport in the world behind the nfl. there are so many channels on tv now, every thing on tv loses viewers every year.
look at basketball. nobody watches that crap. its a bunch of idiots with too much money and jewelry who do not give a :censored: about the fan. at least nascar is still a fans sport.

Originally posted by checkerboard_charly@Feb 7, 2005 5:35 PM
and milo comeon man. if people wanna love earnhardt let them. hell they gave martin luther king his OWN HOLIDAY. :bs:

:huh:

But on that note, I'd like to see Earnhardt's qualifications for a federal holiday.

Originally posted by checkerboard_charly@Feb 7, 2005 8:35 PM
hahahahahahah

yall dont know jack about nascar.

jr is popular because of sympathy? :dlol:  whats with that.

earnhardt was a great man and competitor.  if yall are just gonna bad mouth nascar and earnhardt and jr. and  everything about it.

then SHUT UP.

and johnson city vol, nascar is the # 2 sport in the world behind the nfl. there are so many channels on tv now, every thing on tv loses viewers every year.
look at basketball. nobody watches that crap. its a bunch of idiots with too much money and jewelry who do not give a  :censored:  about the fan. at least nascar is still a fans sport.

Simmer down Checker...

To clarify NASCAR is not anywhere remotely in the same hemisphere as a "worlds most popular sport" (or #2) as you claim.

Estimates are directly from the International Sports Federations themselves. The Number of Affiliated National Federations comes from the International Olympic Committee. Only the sports who laid claim to the title of most or second-most popular were included in the study. I left out Auto Racing/F1, who for obvious reasons won't even be comparable in participation numbers to the rest of the sports involved. For your inormation, though, the FIA has 119 affiliated national federations.

Sport

Estimates of Participants Worldwide/ Number of Affiliated National Federations

Volleyball
998 Million/ 218

Basketball
400 Million/ 211

Table Tennis
300 Million/ 186

Soccer
242 Million/ 204

Badminton
200 Million/ 147

Tennis
60 Million/ 191

Baseball
60 Million/ 110

Dragon Boat Racing (whatever this is)
50 Million/ 51

Team Handball
18 Million/ 147

Hockey
3 million/ 118

Judo
2.5 Million/ 187

Rugby
2 Million/ 97

Cycling
600,000/ 160

Bocce
Pending/ 72

Cricket
Pending/ 74

Some other interesting facts as stated by the federations are as follows:

Formula One Racing has the largest television viewing audience in the world with just the Formula One championship bringing in 40 billion viewers annually. Considering there are only 6 Billion people in the world, less than half with television sets, and only a fraction of those caring about Formula One racing, that's quite a few... When questioned, the FIA did not respond.

FIBA claims over 400 million people play basketball in the world, or one in every twelve men, women, and children, and senior citizens (over 500 million worldwide). This seems a little odd... When questioned, FIBA did not respond. The Jr. NBA states that they feel that the number is "a little high".

FIVB claims nearly 1billion people play volleyball in the world. One out of every six people. That's really interesting... When questioned, they backed off that statement to say that there are 33 million registered players, but that there are many more than that who are recreational players (obviously, but not 1 billion...). They also stated that there are definitely not four times the amount of volleyball players as soccer players in the world, which basically refuted their initial statement.

Personally, I can't stand NASCAR. There is nothing appealing about driving cars around in and around in circles - unless they crash. I do enjoy that. But thats my opinion

Well, what the heck, I might as well jump in here.

I liked NASCAR much better when they used to actually race. There is so much "blockin" and "teammate maneuvering" going on now, it is hard to tell who is really racing and who isn't.

They all sound the same, and it sounds way too commercial to me. They can't even respond to the average question without going through a laundry list of sponsors first.

I do not care where they race, but I do wish they wouldn't sacrifice the good ol' tracks that got them where they are.

I still, to this day, think Dale Earnhardt would be alive if he had gone on and raced that day in Daytona. He had the best car that day, but he was in on some of that "blocking" crap and it went sadly awry.

I personally like to go to our NASCAR-sanctioned track near where I live on Saturday nights and watch the local boys actually race. Man, you can't beat it. It is a .4 mile paved track, nice facilities, and loads of fun. Reminds me of the old days in NASCAR before it became the mechanical version of WWF.

Sorry, just a few thoughts...

Originally posted by checkerboard_charly@Feb 7, 2005 8:35 PM
at least nascar is still a fans sport.

I'm glad that you're buying into the PR that Brian France and Nextel have put together. Yes it was once a fan's sport, but not anymore. Their mismanagement has lead to the implosion of na$car. We are witnessing it right now. Fan favorite tracks like North Wilkesboro are long gone, and Martinsville, Richmond, and Bristol have had to add so many seats that it's become a nightmare to attend. Not to mention the astronomical inflation of ticket prices that have priced the common man back to watching it on tv, and now they're turning it off. What's going to happen when the "new" fans start losing their farweather interest, and the dyed in the wool die hard fans don't turn back? It's a recipe for disaster, and the implosion has only just begun.

IndyCar races are about as exciting as watching paint dry. Sadly, na$car has become the stock car equivilant to IndyCar. There is no more side by side action, except at the plate tracks where the cars are governed to race that way.

Elliott fan here, since he won the cup in 88....course hes aged some since but I cant leave him. I hope he retires before he gets like DW and only races on provisionals :ph34r:

DALE JR ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• nascarmain.jpg
    nascarmain.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 0

VN Store

Back