How many can Tennessee sign in the 2020 class?

Interesting about walk ons. If you have 5 scholarships available, even after signing full 25, why not offer walk on spots to 5 higher rated recruits that will early enroll? Then, after the first summer session ends "award" them a scholarship? If those scholarships are just sitting there and would go unused (someone correct me if I'm wrong but aren't we around 77 on scholarship at the moment?) why can't they be awarded to guys once they are on campus for a full semester?

With Anthony Harris not getting in, Tennessee had 22 in its 2019 class, plus the 2 transfers make 24. So do we have a back count?

Just wondering if anyone knows the actual number we can sign. I have to think it’s at least 26 this year (not counting blueshirts or greyshirts).
What is a blueshirt?

If we put Hill on scholarship in the spring or next fall will he count toward a hard 25 count ?

What is a blueshirt?
blue shirt is a guy that you going to count in a future class....here's the "definition"....unrecruited means he didn't take an official visit nor did he host any coaches on an in home visit. coaches could have visted his HS or he could have gone on unofficial visits....

The blueshirt rule allows schools to put "unrecruited" athletes on scholarship once they arrive on campus, but count them against the next year's scholarship total, as long as they don't play.

Reactions: golfballs
If we put Hill on scholarship in the spring or next fall will he count toward a hard 25 count ?
i don't think so. since he's a walk on, if he's awarded a scholarship, it would only count toward the 85 man limit for that season, and not impact the initial counter rule at all....if im not mistaken that is.

Reactions: quadlee21
blue shirt is a guy that you going to count in a future class....here's the "definition"....unrecruited means he didn't take an official visit nor did he host any coaches on an in home visit. coaches could have visted his HS or he could have gone on unofficial visits....
Thanks. Who do we have on the roster that was a blueshirt?

Reactions: Pane di mais
i have no idea....lol.....i don't think we have anyone presently. most of the issues we had with counting forward i think were transfers/grad transfers...maybe Bryce Thompson is, but i can't remember if he was "unrecruited" by us or not.

I think a player has to be on-campus for 2 years before going on scholarship in order to not count against a 25-man class. If you brought in 20 walk-ons and gave them all scholarships right after they arrived, they'd be consider blueshirts.

Reactions: jakez4ut

Has to be a walk on 2 years according to this:

"The reason is after two years, a school can give an athletic scholarship to a walk-on without counting the scholarship against the limit of 25 initial counters, and instead count the scholarship against only the limit of 85 overall counters. "

Schools Use Flexible Scholarship Limits to Get More Athletes Aid

Reactions: Devo182
Interesting about walk ons. If you have 5 scholarships available, even after signing full 25, why not offer walk on spots to 5 higher rated recruits that will early enroll? Then, after the first summer session ends "award" them a scholarship? If those scholarships are just sitting there and would go unused (someone correct me if I'm wrong but aren't we around 77 on scholarship at the moment?) why can't they be awarded to guys once they are on campus for a full semester?
As posted above, it's 1 year, not 1 semester.

The only thing wrong with posted definition is about not playing. That only applies to grayshirts. BSs can play all day. I think that definition is from that SBn article? They never fixed it smh

Reactions: jakez4ut
K. Solomon most recently. Harris would have been too. Previous class are possibly Bryce, KG jr, and Brandon Davis. Rivals shows no visits and as "Verbal" commitment.

More recently I think Rivals has been showing BSs as merely "Verbal" instead of "Signed" on the commit page. I don't think they used to, but the past 3 classes this lines up with guys expected to BS.

Reactions: golfballs

VN Store

Back