How long does it normally take a new head coach to get their "system" in place

LVsinceJV

Figured I defer to more knowledgeable folks on here: does anyone know offhand how long it takes a newly-appointed Head Coach to get their system running? How long would you say it took Staley, Schaeffer, Graves at their current schools?

Figured I defer to more knowledgeable folks on here: does anyone know offhand how long it takes a newly-appointed Head Coach to get their system running? How long would you say it took Staley, Schaeffer, Graves at their current schools?

A lot depends on the talent a new coach would inherit and the system that the new coach would run. For example, if the new coach runs a system that places a premium on outside shooting, it would take a little longer to get the shooters than one that focuses on a more balanced approach...

Question is.....how long does it take the assistant coach to implement the previous coaches system?

Reactions: Orange Swagger
Question is.....how long does it take the assistant coach to implement the previous coaches system?

That's a good point.

Reason I asked in the OP was...lets assume Holly is gone by the end of the season and we get a new coach in here ASAP. Will we be prepared for UConn next year (assuming it's a January/February game)? Will we be able to instill some basics in these kids by then, some defensive strategy, some plays?

Reactions: Armorvol
I don’t think it would take too long with these ladies. They are talented and want to do well. Also it’s not like they have a current system, so there is nothing to unlearn. I think it could happen very quickly with the right coach.

Its too bad for Holly, she really wanted to be successful, but sometimes you get promoted to a level of incompetency. UT was too big for her..........period.

Reactions: lynnh and alaVOL
Depends on the talent level of the team. It takes John Calipari about 4 months with all new Freshmen every year. I think it is just as much about the players getting use to to the other players on the team as it is getting use to the coaching system.

I would say average is 3 years, but that is if they are starting with nothing. A coach at UT should be able to do it faster, we still have great crowds for women's basketball, even though that has thinned significantly in the last few years. Typically starting with nothing though it takes at least 2 recruiting cycles to get the right pieces to run your system. If we fired Holly today and nobody transferred I would say we could be a FF team in 2020 with the right coach if the players buy in.

Need to be rid of her before we have no fans left though.

Reactions: LVsinceJV
Depends on the talent level of the team. It takes John Calipari about 4 months with all new Freshmen every year. I think it is just as much about the players getting use to to the other players on the team as it is getting use to the coaching system.

Holly is not Calipari.........heck she is not Pat either. I think UT has given her amble time to adjust to her role, she obviously does not have the ability to bring a team together like Barnes.......its really not something you learn, its a genuine gift.

Well since there's currently no system in place except chaos they don't have anything to unlearn. They're blank slates begging to be coached. So that should help speed things along

Last edited:
In football it takes about 3 years. If you don't have the talent. In basketball you can turn it around quick because you only have 12 players.

If you truly mean their system, CHW is one move away from having her full-system.
No leftover players or assistant coaches....Only she and Dean are left from her inherited crew.
SO if she fires Dean this summer, it will be totally hers.

The true answer to your question is five years for collegiate ball. After the inherited players move on and you've had a chance to hand-choose who stays and who goes in assistants and staff.

The only way i t happens any quicker is at a point where the remaining players and staff fully buy in and work for/with you as if you brought them here.

That can happen overnight.
Sometimes it isn't a bad staff, team or plan...It's just a missing ingredient/person.
I can be there tomorrow!

The players still haven’t fully grasped her complex system of running down the shot clock only to throw up a wild prayer, deceiving the opponent with wide open missed layups, and no look passes into the second row of the stands. It literally takes decades to master such craftsmanship and we are far too hard on her to give her less than 30 years in the program to truly judge her.

2 or 3 seasons is a reasonable amount of time depending on the talent already accrued plus any new recruits signed to plug any holes.

VN Store

Back