How important is the Pitt game?

7-8
The game is a bellwether of where we are and how much improvement needs to be done.

On a scale from 1 to 10, how important to you is it that the Vols get this win?
1: (Not important at all, we could lose and it doesn't mean much, you know, growing pains and such...)
10: (This game is critical to show the fans, recruits, and the world that we're on track with Heupel. If we lose I'm burning all my Vol gear.)

In the grand scheme of things long term, one game is never a program maker or breaker. I get it though why Vol fans are anxious for a good win and some are placing too much importance on this game. The coaches certainly want a win as badly as any fan, but they know no one game will define their program long term. It takes years to do that.

Reactions: bpalmer28
The game is important if the VOLS want to start earning some respect again nationally. If we lose it is just same sh1t different year for UT. I don’t think PITT is a contender or great team but their talent is probably on par with UK & MIZZOU two teams we will face later this year. Win or lose the outcome of this game should be a good indicator of where we stand. I put this game around 8.5 or 9.

It's big but games are only going to get bigger. At some point, he'll have to beat some teams he isn't supposed to beat. This is the first of many opportunities and therefore probably the least significant.

I'll give it a 2.

According to 247's composite roster rankings, UT is 19th in the country. UK is 31st. Pitt is 37th. Mizzou is 45th. Ole Miss is 27th.

If I counted right, six of Pitt's 12 4* players are not currently in their 2 deep.
How many of our guys are overrated and how many were recruited to a different system? Short answer - a lot!

According to 247's composite roster rankings, UT is 19th in the country. UK is 31st. Pitt is 37th. Mizzou is 45th. Ole Miss is 27th.

If I counted right, six of Pitt's 12 4* players are not currently in their 2 deep.

Take a look at Appalachian State's roster as an example of why you must be careful when trying to paint a picture based solely on team composite ranking. There are more unranked and 2 star players on their roster than 3 star players and no 4 star kids. Yet watch App State play against Miami this weekend (who has around 42 4stars). It is not a given Miami wins that game IMO and at the very least App will play them tough.

Culture, scheme and development are extremely important in places like Wisconsin and yes App State. Not many teams enjoy going against those types even when they have huge "talent" advantages.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pacer92
Weird scale.

For the program it is a critical game and a must win, IMO, because it shows national relevance.

For CJH, meh, he isn't going anywhere for a while.

For me? It's a football game like all the rest. I'll be relieved to win and grumpy and cynical for about a day if we lose.

it's an 8. It's nor particularly meaninful except losing it is an important step down the "Fire Heupel" pathway. It's the first tossup game of the Heupel era.

It's big but games are only going to get bigger. At some point, he'll have to beat some teams he isn't supposed to beat. This is the first of many opportunities and therefore probably the least significant.

I'll give it a 2.
You only give it a 2? A win for UT could provide some great momentum in having a decent year.

If we want to win 5+ games, it’s insanely important. Maybe an 8-9/10

This game is at least a 9 in importance. This is the type of game (esp at home) we have to get back to winning and stop finding ways to lose. Over the past 15 years this is the type of game we have invented ways to lose. On their message board they seem to think they have the better players at every position and by better i mean more talented. If that is true this will be a long season because as a SEC school with top notch facilities there is no way Pitt should have near the talent level we do. Even with all of the transfers that transferred because they stopped getting checks.

You only give it a 2? A win for UT could provide some great momentum in having a decent year.
Yeah I mean they are all important, right? But in the grand scheme of things it's an unranked non-conference opponent in Heupel's 2nd game. A win would make us all feel good and put us in better position for a bowl. A loss would mean we are where we thought we were. I guess because of bowl implications I should have gone a little higher than 2.... somewhere between 4 and 6 is probably a better score.

I don't think a loss makes it any less likely that we beat Florida in two weeks or Missouri the week after that. If we lose to Pitt but then beat Missouri & South Carolina and find ourselves 4-2 headed into the Ole Miss game we'll have PLENTY of momentum. This game doesn't make or break us by any means, but when you're battling for a bowl bid they are all important.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
Yeah I mean they are all important, right? But in the grand scheme of things it's an unranked non-conference opponent in Heupel's 2nd game. A win would make us all feel good and put us in better position for a bowl. A loss would mean we are where we thought we were. I guess because of bowl implications I should have gone a little higher than 2.... somewhere between 4 and 6 is probably a better score.

I don't think a loss makes it any less likely that we beat Florida in two weeks or Missouri the week after that. If we lose to Pitt but then beat Missouri & South Carolina and find ourselves 4-2 headed into the Ole Miss game we'll have PLENTY of momentum. This game doesn't make or break us by any means, but when you're battling for a bowl bid they are all important.
Ok I gotcha dude. UT needs to start winning some of these tossup games especially at home. I have seen too many losses in recent years where we have failed in that regard. It is beyond time for the VOLS to change the narrative in football. This upcoming Saturday is the perfect opportunity.

Reactions: A.J.
On a scale from 1 to 10, how important to you is it that the Vols get this win?
1: (Not important at all, we could lose and it doesn't mean much, you know, growing pains and such...)
10: (This game is critical to show the fans, recruits, and the world that we're on track with Heupel. If we lose I'm burning all my Vol gear.)
7 because it gives us a good indication of where we are at early on but in the end it’s not a conference game

Take a look at Appalachian State's roster as an example of why you must be careful when trying to paint a picture based solely on team composite ranking. There are more unranked and 2 star players on their roster than 3 star players and no 4 star kids. Yet watch App State play against Miami this weekend (who has around 42 4stars). It is not a given Miami wins that game IMO and at the very least App will play them tough.

Culture, scheme and development are extremely important in places like Wisconsin and yes App State. Not many teams enjoy going against those types even when they have huge "talent" advantages.
They've found a system. But to make the point you are trying to make... they would have to play and beat a schedule made up of Miami's and UT's and USCe's.

Like so many here, I believe the Pitt game is an important measure of where the team is at this point. It is important for having a winning season. But unlike many, I would not take a close loss as a harbinger of a doomed season. My expectation would be for Heupel to continue working problems and coaching the team to win other games.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
8.5-9. IMO, UT needs to win this game. Pitt is a decent team but if UT is ever going to turn the ship around they need to win these types of games.

If UT loses, unless Pitt runs through the ACC, people will say, "UT gonna UT."

How many of our guys are overrated and how many were recruited to a different system? Short answer - a lot!
Want to make a list of overrated guys? Maybe include the underrated guys like Spraggins, V Jones, Tillman, etc too.

BS on the "different system" stuff unless you can objectively prove it. The "systems" with regard to plays aren't radically different. This roster fits the 4-2-5 better than the 3-4 and all that "stuff" Pruitt was trying to do.

Zero meaning. A quality NCO from a far away location. Same impact as BYU....zilch.

In general about a 5. For this season's success? I'd go 8 or 9. It is a must win in the coin flips games. Would build confidence in the team and fanbase.

I have higher expectations than that. UT is more talented than Pitt. My only point is that a team with a 5th year QB and other experienced players can get the best of an inexperienced team early on even though they shouldn't.

Much of my expectations have less to do with UT than with the opposition. I assume that Heupel and staff will do a "good" job. If they do then UT has more talent than Mizzou and UK which you are probably counting as losses. According to the 247 roster composite... UT actually has quite a bit more talent than either of them. This is a 6 to 8 win roster against this schedule. That's the "realistic" range if Heupel and staff can coach. Less then get ready for trouble. More... well... we can cross that bridge later.

The reason is pretty simple. Five wins will not provide the recruiting momentum needed right now. Six might not. He's already behind due to the '21 class and the current '22 class. To survive he has to get to 7 wins IMO. So if he's under what is "realistic" based on composite talent then he will be on a path to being fired with very low chances of turning it around.

Recruited talent, yes, developed talent? That remains to be seen. Pitt's roster is full of upperclassmen this season.

Pitt2021.png

Reactions: bpalmer28
For this season specifically…a 9. It’s one of the few that will determine bowl eligibility.

As a whole, for Heupels program, I’d say a 5. After seeing the QB play last week, this season is going to be a struggle. If Milton is clearly better than the other 2, then this offense isn’t going to look like it’s supposed to this year so I’ll give CJH another year to get the guy that can run his offense. Then again, maybe Milton can make the improvements to see this offense improve. I guess that’s what this game will determine for me…can Milton run this offense, or not. If not, next man up!

VN Store

Back