How important is Tennessee football in your life ?

And yet, here you are in a Tennessee Vols Football thread, within the Tennessee Vols Football forum.

I mean, absolutely you do seem to spend most of your time over in the NFL threads.

But still, here you are. So you're clearly checking in from time to time to see what the Vols news is. And beyond that, you're actually engaging in the discussions, hitting "reply" and adding your voice.

That's something above pure apathy. There's still some spark there.
No - it's just a way to vent frustration over the trash heap our athletic teams have become. Fans deserve to vent considering how much money we put into athletics, only to get subpar results.

No - it's just a way to vent frustration over the trash heap our athletic teams have become. Fans deserve to vent considering how much money we put into athletics, only to get subpar results.
Exactly. Frustration. Which is decidedly NOT apathy.

Okay, for those having trouble wrapping their heads around what apathy is, I'll give you a sport you are truly apathetic about:

Kabaddi.

There. You've probably never heard of it. You have zero interest in who wins or loses, because you don't even bother to know who the teams are. You don't care enough to learn the rules of the sport. You've never watched it, in person or on TV. You've certainly never joined a website about it, or checked in for updates on that website, or joined in conversations about a particular team.

You are apathetic about Kabaddi.

Well, you were until I mentioned it. Now you are perhaps just mildly curious and might even google it to see if I'm making this all up.

But that attitude you had before you read this post?

That's apathy.

And yet, here you are in a Tennessee Vols Football thread, within the Tennessee Vols Football forum.

I mean, absolutely you do seem to spend most of your time over in the NFL threads.

But still, here you are. So you're clearly checking in from time to time to see what the Vols news is. And beyond that, you're actually engaging in the discussions, hitting "reply" and adding your voice.

That's something above pure apathy. There's still some spark there.

Lol well yeah I do still navigate the site from time to time. I still wish the Vols all the best. I wouldn’t say I’m no longer a fan (I mean I haven’t detached enough to change my screen name lol). I just really don’t care about it as much anymore.

And it’s not all because of them sucking for the last decade. It’s probably more of just me getting older and other things in life taking priority.

I’m also not as attached to the school itself as many others are. I never went to UT and I’m originally from the other end of the state. I didn’t grow up in the shadow of Neyland Stadium like a lot of east TN folks did.

I still follow the team, but it’s a casual thing at this point.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Born and raised in Knoxville. Grew up loving UT football. I was only 2 when we won the natty so I have never seen the greatness that many of you have. I'm exhausted following this program. They have ruined my love for it. I'll always tune in and root for the Vols, but my level of caring goes down by the year. UT needs to figure it out.

I'm looking forward to the Josh Heupel era at Tennessee. I believe our offense will be competitive. Very skeptical of our defense. If our DC can contain our opponents and limit big plays I think we can win alot of football games.
This is actually a really good hire.
Our defense is going to determine our success.
GBO!!! NEW BEGINNINGS AND IM LOVING IT!!!!
NOTE: Our first coach in a long, long, time probably since Kiffin that will know how to use and get the best out of the team.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Indifferent. Birth to 30 years of age, fanatic. 43 years old now, I can sleep soundly after losing to rivals or anyone for that matter.

It’s important. I don’t want to be over dramatic but there’s really no experience like it. I’ve taken my family and kids to the games but it’s just not the same as it was during my childhood. Really wish for at least one period of greatness I can enjoy with my kids before I’m too damn old to appreciate it.

After say any spiritual beliefs, family & work, where does Tn football rank ?
Oh, my. Good question. I’ve had season tickets just shy of 40 years. In the 80’s TN football was reasonably important in my life... considering I had a wife, three kids and 11 small businesses to operate. Still, a great outlet...sometimes frustrating but never disheartening (1986!). The 90’s: kids in college, more time and UT football was VERY important— nearly attended every home game and traveled to 3/4 of the road games—worth it, though (at Sun Devil Stadium for the BCS championship and it’s burned into my mind). 2000’s: decline. 2010’s: fall. If I was at a ”10” in the 90’s, I’m at about <3 now.

Use to be my #1 fandom in any endeavor. Then it was a matter of state pride. Then an intense interest. Then a passive one. Then something I self mockingly cared about. Then something I would be watch on occasion. Now it’s an after thought.

That seed of passion about the program is still present but long since dormant. Doubt it’ll ever be like it was again. But the memorize are nice I guess.

My formula for remaining a Vols fan...applies to all sports:
Step 1: DVR the game.
Step 2: Check Google for the score.
Step 3: Watch or delete depending on the score.

My formula for remaining a Vols fan...applies to all sports:
Step 1: DVR the game.
Step 2: Check Google for the score.
Step 3: Watch or delete depending on the score.
I don't think I could do this, Tall Guy.

I mean, I could see myself doing Steps 1 and 2, just to take the long, drawn-out heartache of a loss and compress it into one quick cold shot of reality.

But even if the score were 41-7, I'd feel intense curiosity as to what didn't work, what broke down, places we could obviously improve, who ought to be riding the pine next week, etc. I'd want to know how it happened.

Maybe that's a little bit the same as a child being compelled to know how their dad died in the war, or a friend wanting to hear every painful detail of that time you were in the middle of a bank robbery and lost an eye. Not in a rubbernecking way, but more cathartic.

Anyway, that's me. I couldn't not watch, I don't think.

tenor.gif

I used to live and die with it but way past that now. This was the first year I didn’t watch every Tennessee football game. After the Kentucky loss, I checked out. Caught a few highlights but started enjoying my Saturdays again doing other things. The universities reckless control of our program has killed it for me. Will I watch the heupel show. Sure, until he shows that he’s in over his head and then I’ll go back to doing other things. I’m not buying no more shirts and hats until the university shows that they give a damn about Tennessee athletics.

I have been a Tennessee fan my entire life and that will never change. When I saw our team not able to line up and play their roles against Georgia St. I knew we were in a situation where there was total disfunction in our coaching . I have tried to support these sorry ass coaches only to see us go from bad to worse. If we lose to a better team so be it ,but when we lose because of piss poor coaching I just cannot support it anymore. I am hoping for the best from this new staff.

VN Store

Back