How important is Tennessee football in your life ?

I remember T-shirts’ from my youth that said:
God, Family, and The Big Orange.
Havent seen those in a long time.

I care about the results of games I just don't care to watch them anymore. What's the point in watching us play Bama? Do I need to see us get boatraced by 50 points? We know what's gonna happen. I will watch certain games. I was excited for Georgia game cuz I thought "maybe this is the game we start a new chapter." After that I didn't care. I knew we sucked and I wasn't gonna put myself through getting excited for any other games only to see that mildly retarded...conehead dumbass embarrass us any longer. Give me a reason and I'll glue myself to the tv again

Reactions: Toujours Pret
I miss Alabama week when it was competitive. When our kids were in school all the way down to elementary it was like a week long pep rally, kids dressed up had signs etc. Also our group of friends rotated tickets jabbed at each other all week and those that couldn't go to the game had a big fish fry and watch party every year. Now I don't even get the razzing phone calls from my Bammer friends after the game.

Reactions: knoxvol16
I used to hunt and fish around football schedule . Now I hunt and fish and record on my DVR and only watch later if it is worth watching .

Reactions: VaBornVol
Not very high anymore. Could careless if I get to watch the game or not. Will choose fishing 10/10 times over watching the game

Reactions: VaBornVol
Must be pretty high for me to continue getting on this website to post mixed emotions about different topics. I’d have to say it’s really the only thing I look forward to on fall Saturdays. Spend more on my fanatics card than I should to. For this year
I’m going to do the same I do every year . Make excuses , brag how Coach Heupel is going to put points up and change this thing around.

I think a whole lot of folks in this thread are confusing frustration for apathy.

Not a single person here is truly apathetic about Vols football. As Concept astutely points out, you wouldn't be on these boards if you felt apathy.

What you really feel is anger...or frustration...or consternation. You pretend not to care, as a defense mechanism against renewed pain. I get that, I totally do. I do the same thing. We all have to, to one extent or another. The blows come too frequently to avoid insanity, otherwise.

But you care. Deep down, even if you've convinced yourself you don't, you do. You're here. And not only to read, you're posting your thoughts and feelings, as well. That's a relatively high degree of engagement.

Go Vols? Yeah. Go Vols!

Must be pretty high for me to continue getting on this website to post mixed emotions about different topics. I’d have to say it’s really the only thing I look forward to on fall Saturdays. Spend more on my fanatics card than I should to. For this year
I’m going to do the same I do every year . Make excuses , brag how Coach Heupel is going to put points up and change this thing around.

Bless your soul.

I think a whole lot of folks in this thread are confusing frustration for apathy.

Not a single person here is truly apathetic about Vols football. As Concept astutely points out, you wouldn't be on these boards if you felt apathy.

What you really feel is anger...or frustration...or consternation. You pretend not to care, as a defense mechanism against renewed pain. I get that, I totally do. I do the same thing. We all have to, to one extent or another. The blows come too frequently to avoid insanity, otherwise.

But you care. Deep down, even if you've convinced yourself you don't, you do. You're here. And not only to read, you're posting your thoughts and feelings, as well. That's a relatively high degree of engagement.

Go Vols? Yeah. Go Vols!

Its definitely apathy at this point. I still care a little, but not near as much as I used to. The anger and frustration has long been gone. Just meh

Up until Dooley my entire Saturday schedule would revolve around a game. I literally left a family get together to watch the fl game alone.

I remember picking a bowling alley that had big screen TVs during the Dooley era so I wouldn't miss the game. I sat there watching 12 men on the field cost us the game and my day was wrecked.

Every year after that it got less and less important. This year I missed an entire game while at six flags with the kids. I checked the score to see us losing by 30 and realized I made the wise decision.

I was a die hard fanatic for 3 decades and the last decade has damn near killed it. I still root for TN but I dont expect much or look to it for an Avenue of happiness. Being a vol fan is almost a badge of honor now.

Not nearly as important as it used to be, unfortunately. Fifteen years of incompetence and chaos takes its toll.

This...

Not to mention I’ve had 3 kids during this down time. Making it real easy to de-prioritize TN athletics (and sports as a whole).

But I still hang around here so there is always a toe in the water I guess.

Reactions: CA_Vol
Its definitely apathy at this point. I still care a little, but not near as much as I used to. The anger and frustration has long been gone. Just meh
Apathy is we don't know who you are. You were never here. That's apathy.

Still at the top of my list but I don’t get as upset as I used to... GBO!!!

When I was there and years after it was the most important thing in my life, now I have a wife and 3 kids and as much as I love UT it has slid down the ranks considerably, don't get me wrong I never miss a game, I'm either at the game or it's on the TV

Definitely behind Braves baseball. I still care, I still watch almost every game. But as I get older, other things become more important. Still hate Bama and the cheatin' ass Gators. still think the '85 Sugar Bowl should be a national holiday. Peyton is the GOAT. But a loss no longer ruins my week. Moving 2500 miles away has probably had an effect.

Vols sports is what I do for fun (far less than I use to) but it’s no longer who I am! I find ZERO security in who I am as a man from vol wins or loses.

This...

Not to mention I’ve had 3 kids during this down time. Making it real easy to de-prioritize TN athletics (and sports as a whole).

But I still hang around here so there is always a toe in the water I guess.
Same for me. Three boys who’ve never seen UT achieve success and could really care less. It’s depressing that an entire generation could care less about UT football.

That said, I do think Coach Heupel will at least put an entertaining product on the field.

After say any spiritual beliefs, family & work, where does Tn football rank ?

My passion for UT football probably started with Andy Kelley and win at Notre Dame. Im not from Rhea County but I grew up 20 miles from Dayton. At the time I thought all the best football players in Tennessee just went to UT. I was 13 years old when Andy was freshman at UT. I met Coach Majors when he walked through the front doors of my high school to talk\sign John Becksvoort to play at UT. I loved the great wins over the years and accepted the losses that weren’t supposed to happen. Since Kiffin drug up in the middle of the night my passion for all things football in Ktown has turned to complete numbness. I try, I’m still paying attention but I can’t tell you one specific memory of football since Dobbs pass against Georgia to win the game.

to answer OP question, no where near what it once was. Though we've had plenty of isolated self inflicted wounds, I think the way NCAA set up the 4 team playoff caters to the "rich get richer" crowd. At the start of every season, there's probably 6-7 teams, with maybe an outlier here or there with the known chance to play in the playoffs. Because of this, the teams in the club can recruit to that, and the one's on the outside continue to churn coaches to find the right formula (orange pants, brick by bricks, cornbread...aight'). Need to expand playoff to 8 teams IMO to give more robust opportunity to bigger pool of teams.

VN Store

Back