How important is Tennessee football in your life ?

First game was in '65. Lived for the games. Kept season tix until I moved to the Terrace when Dooley was hired. By his second year, I'd given up the seats and stopped contributions. I've not been to a game since and frankly, haven't watched a full game since then either. My weekends are for golf. On rare occasions, I'll watch a replay, but in most instances, I check my phone app for a final score and carry on about my day. I'll come here and listen to UT podcasts, but that's the extent of my involvement these days. Losses are expected and the norm. I don't get worked up over it anymore.

Reactions: knoxvol16
Alma mater is forever. You can't divorce it, leave it or change it.

Perspective is the only thing that changes. You can be pissed at it, disappointed in it and not let it control your waking thoughts above other things that mean just as much.

I have a healthy balance between reality and fantasy.

Reactions: GlennTenn and TC 83
They won't get donations from me anymore and I haven't been to a game in a couple years.

No inclination to change either of those things any time soon.

As things trend toward getting back to normal post virus, I'll be less engaged with more options for Saturdays.

DVR is a wonderful thing and saves a lot of time watching the Vols get their asses kicked.

Not much at all. No sports are anymore. I was a sports junkie for the first 55 years of my life. Then after 2012 season I cancelled season tickets and for some reason had an epiphany that I was wasting valuable time for life experiences, by sitting around watching stuff. So I do as much as I can constantly now. Physical fitness is finite. Use it while you have it. I now recreationally watch NFL and NHL. That’s about it. Baseball is a total unwatchable bore. And basketball is pretty much there as well with the 3 point shot gimmick.

Second the DVR method. Works for BasketVols too. This thread makes me sad.

It really is sad.

Back in the 90s, my dad and uncles would huddle around the TV and the whole family made a party out of it every Saturday.

That 98 season got me through some tough personal times.

For the last decade or so though, this program has been good more for laughs from their incompetence than any personal satisfaction or pride in what they have been doing on the field.

Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone they can't recruit high end players anymore.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Not nearly as important as it used to be, unfortunately. Fifteen years of incompetence and chaos takes its toll.

Yeah, when you compound 15 years of being a lousy fan with the football fortunes I can see where it would take it's toll. I am with you win or win has never been the hallmark of a good solid fan. You can take some comfort in that you are not alone in the shortcomings department, and I am sure some others will come immediately to your defense. Like lots of lifelong Vol fans, my ticket buying, time prioritizing, and TV viewing have never waivered. It is once again time to man up and get behind the new folks in charge and hope for the best, even in their less than perfect states. It is all about supporting the young men and women who sign on to be Vols. There is no justification for letting them down even when the program has to pay the price for guys that multiply the problems as they depart like Kiffin and Pruitt, rather than just fail in the line of duty like Dooley, and Butch. We are all back on the clock with our new leadership.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
I don't schedule my weekends around games anymore. If I'm home, I'll have it on the TV (not necessarily intently watching it) until...
-Games get out of hand if we're an underdog
-We're losing to or playing close with a team we should beat handily

Suffice to say some games stay on the TV shorter than others. I don't watch the Alabama, UGA, or Florida games anymore. I decided last season to take up woodworking, and I mean it.

I've got three little-little kids, and they're already growing up fast. I won't waste my time getting mad at a game and moping and grumbling around the house when I could be pushing them on a swing or playing pretend.

After say any spiritual beliefs, family & work, where does Tn football rank ?
I used to be in a funk for several days after a Vol loss as I took it personal....now I hardly remember a game is on. Its sad that this is what we've become. Mike Hamilton started this schiiitt-show with the way he handled the Fulmer fiasco.

Used to have season tickets, used to drive down from Richmond for nearly all games...that was ten years ago. Now, with the kids and all their activities combined with the state of things, I usually watch the game on TV if I'm home at the time.

Reactions: Coach_Z
My Truck is Crimson, My walls are Crimson, My Dog is named Saban, My Cat is Bear, I have a giant A flag in the front yard, my garbage can is painted orange and blue, my checks say roll tide, my Son is named Paul, my Daughter Tyson-----OH sorry! Wrong Fan site!

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Anymore I don't plan my fall Saturdays to make sure I can watch the games live. Huge change for me.

It’s way too important for me I’m 25 years old and Invest too much into the Vols football and basketball and get nothing in return for it. But I can’t give it up I was born and raised a VOL fan and it’s sad to say but it’s in my blood.

You must be into torture.

Seriously, I feel for the younger fans who have really never witnessed "good" UT football.

For most of my life I prioritized everything on Fall Saturday’s around UT football. Since 2009 and especially the past 2 years everything else is a priority and UT Football is last. I think I might have watched a total of 30 minutes to an hour of UT football this past Fall. I’m sick of the incompetence and lack of desire by those in power to be relevant.

With that said, I’ll give the new staff the chance they deserve to prove themselves but keep my guards up. If anything, the Offense should be 10 times more exciting to watch. Heupel has run an exciting offense every place he’s coached. Pruitt’s offensive pattern of run on 1 & 2 and then throwing a 2 yard screen on 3rd and 8 will take the energy right out of you.

Everyone is entitled to their own level of interest, and a fanbase as large as Tennessee's is going to run the gamut from title-contention sidewalk fans to diehards that attend every game, though I'm surprised to see the degree of indifference expressed by people posting on a Tennessee football forum in early March.

Reactions: Vols&Vettes
I would say it's still a passion of mine. Granted, it's not AS enjoyable as it is when we are winning but I still enjoy following the day to day with the program in the news along with reading the posts on here and listening to local Tennessee sports radio.

The biggest difference I've found in my fandom when we are winning vs when we are bad is the amount of money I spend. When we are doing great I go to more games, which means tickets, gas, concessions, etc. I buy more merchandise too. More hats, more shirts, etc.

Older I get less important .. not because of team records or anything .. I think its just a change in interests .. like I used to play golf 3 times a week .. now .. lol .. I may want to go once a month .. I used to let the Vols either make or ruin my day .. Glory to God Im not that way anymore ...

VN Store

Back