How Fulmer aims to solve falling football attendance

The entire day.... if it’s a 4:00 game I show up at 2:00 or earlier to get parked and get to the volwalk which means I was getting ready around noon, TV games take forever with far to much wait time for tv timeouts, games not over til 7-7:30... climb a mountain back to the car... 8:00, home by 9:00 with traffic. The entire day is gone. That means my entire Sunday is spent lesson planning and going to church, weekend is over.

I can watch at home, do work at the same time and keep up on several other games and instead of dedicating 9 hours to one thing I can spend 3 on everything and still spend time with family and friends.

Tv and the endless coverage is killing stadiums like Neyland.... have to make the atmosphere more inviting than home

Gotcha. Brain fart on my part.

Reactions: goooooovols
Everyone here doesn't seem to be in touch with reality.....the real eason. I used to have season tickets and can name 25 close friends that had them too. None of us have them now. Why? Price. The ticket prices along with that crazy donation required is out of reach for the masses of working America.

All my friends dropped their's over the years because of price. We would still go if they had a break even record but we cant. The people that love football can't go. That's why you see stadium downsizing. They are using the space to build pricy suites so those few with a lot of money might be attracted to the game. True fans are having to sit at home and watch even though a lot would like to experience being at the game.

I'm just not going to pay what is required to go. I am a manager of a Fortune 500 store and if I can't afford to go what percent of the population is like me? We are at the point that, I think, many sports that football has to support must be dropped. If tv revenues start decreasing then colleges are in trouble because the majority of the population are priced out of the game, literally!! I can pay my property taxes for a year for what six tickets currently cost. We are at the point of no return, I am afraid. I can't see universities cutting prices 50 percent.

I feel you here, same situation here! I make good money... but I can’t rationalize the cost or time spent, cause honestly I don’t have to, I can watch at home!

The 75000 number that was average each game this year is what our admin show be happy with and worrying about retaining imo, anything else is icing on the cake

I like the lottery idea. Let the fan decide the prize they get. Getting to visit the locker room or run thru the T would top my list. Getting a backstage pass to a Vol game would be nice. It might keep tickets from being sold to enemy(Exaggeration) fans.

I still enjoy the game day experience. There is plenty of hassle to leave the house for any reason, but the hassle is worth it to me when it comes to watching the Vols play.

Winning is more fun than losing. I’ve been to a few Florida and Bama games and have only witnessed 2 wins. 2016 Fl and the 5OT win at Bama, other than the Miracle, the rest of the games I’ve attended have been routine wins or unfortunate losses.

There are only so many Vol Football events, I still have the itch to attend as many as possible.

In addition to enhancing fan friendliness, I'd like to see the UT trendsetting instead of doing some "me too" thing. My wife disagrees but I have an increasing feeling to stay at home. And it's not due to loses. They're my Vols win, lose, or draw. But fan behavior I've seen and experienced, road rage incidents, reckless drivers (we travel about 280 miles roundtrip for games) along the way etc. This is a strong motive to stay at home with my giant TV, easy chair, game meat steaks, sides, and either Astronaut Status or Goat Milk Stout beer. Shirley still likes going and that's my fault for getting a Kiowa gal addicted with Volism Infectus.

Attendance has to do with winning football games. Plus with Hi Def TVs now you can watch at home and get a better view than sitting high up in a stadium.

Yes, it is chilly! My parents arrived yesterday from LC and I'm blaming them for bringing the cold weather. :)

Back on topic...any modernization would most likely reduce capacity. I'm not sure when the last time you were in Neyland but it is cramped...but that's part of its charm. Screw it....just leave the place along!

Yea, I cant tell if you caught the sarcasm or not haha. I haven't been since 07. I know, I'm not a real fan. Back in the late 80's to mid to late 90's I was at almost every home game and maybe its because of the time and we were actually winning, but I had no complaints whatsoever. Anyway, along with more wins, I'm sure anything they do will be an improvement.

My pastors wife died last week and he took her home to Kentucky. He just got back and I did the same, blamed him for bringing it back.

Reactions: Boca Vol
Many NFL teams (wash, Tampa, Atl, even Denver) all struggle to fill new fan-friendly stadiums today. Common denominators are they aren't winning. Tennessee worries about their buildings all of the time when they should focus on their people.

Just win. Solves everything.

It certainly helps, but there's other factors too. I'm not paying today's ticket prices when I can stay home and watch on the big screen HD Television. Plus the money you save on gas and food.

Really didn't look at this way until I had kids. Still go to a few VOL basketball games a year, but football has priced me out

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
The price of the ticket has little to do with the price of the trip. 2 night stay, food for 3 days, ⛽️ for 800 miles round trip, the occasional speeding ticket(Why is it so hard to go the speed limit?), souvenirs for the kids. I would like to get a winning program for all the SEC teams home and away. I’m about 1/4 of the way there. With the schedule the way it is, who knows when we go back to Auburn or when they come back to Neyland?
Exactly and this approach killing nascar. Used to be u could buy a nascar ticket for $40 and then they could do like movies and charge you $20 for a turkey leg and a coke. Now everything expensive.

Many NFL teams (wash, Tampa, Atl, even Denver) all struggle to fill new fan-friendly stadiums today. Common denominators are they aren't winning. Tennessee worries about their buildings all of the time when they should focus on their people.

What do you mean by they should focus on their people?

I ENJOYED they fan experience thing at the WVU game in Charlotte where there were games to win cheap prizes and SEC nation. They should take the open area on the HILL where SEC N does their broadcast and do that..oh, and win a few games

In addition to enhancing fan friendliness, I'd like to see the UT trendsetting instead of doing some "me too" thing. My wife disagrees but I have an increasing feeling to stay at home. And it's not due to loses. They're my Vols win, lose, or draw. But fan behavior I've seen and experienced, road rage incidents, reckless drivers (we travel about 280 miles roundtrip for games) along the way etc. This is a strong motive to stay at home with my giant TV, easy chair, game meat steaks, sides, and either Astronaut Status or Goat Milk Stout beer. Shirley still likes going and that's my fault for getting a Kiowa gal addicted with Volism Infectus.
Sounds like you are going to have to take one for team Woodsman and go to the games.

The number of jackwagons to endure is pathetic these days. We are everywhere.

Exactly and this approach killing nascar. Used to be u could buy a nascar ticket for $40 and then they could do like movies and charge you $20 for a turkey leg and a coke. Now everything expensive.

Haha.

True story...Smoked turkey legs solve all attendance problems!

Reactions: Behr
Yea, I cant tell if you caught the sarcasm or not haha. I haven't been since 07. I know, I'm not a real fan. Back in the late 80's to mid to late 90's I was at almost every home game and maybe its because of the time and we were actually winning, but I had no complaints whatsoever. Anyway, along with more wins, I'm sure anything they do will be an improvement.

My pastors wife died last week and he took her home to Kentucky. He just got back and I did the same, blamed him for bringing it back.

You...sarcasm?!?! No way!

Win...and a lot of the things that fans complain about magically disappear.

Increase capacity to make us the biggest. Quit fooling around with hiring unproven coaches, and put up whatever it takes in money to get a proven championship coach. Jimbo was available last year. Last year it could have happened if we outbid against AM. Get a proven coach and most likely your team will be a consistent top 25 team, and in the running for conference titles year in and year, out very quickly. Problem solved and even more money coming in from added seats and WINNING

Increase capacity to make us the biggest. Quit fooling around with hiring unproven coaches, and put up whatever it takes in money to get a proven championship coach. Jimbo was available last year. Last year it could have happened if we outbid against AM. Get a proven coach and most likely your team will be a consistent top 25 team, and in the running for conference titles year in and year, out very quickly. Problem solved and even more money coming in from added seats and WINNING

Obviously this is just my opinion, but Jimbo was not coming to Tennessee. Period!

651k divided by 7 games is 93k average attendance. 9k seats times $35 per seat equals 315k. 7 games times 315k equals 2.2m they left on the the table this year.

$35 per seat? Are you talking about 1985? One reason attendance is down besides the poor teams we have been fielding is they have basically priced the tickets so high that the average fan can’t afford to go to a game. I, for one, can’t afford to spend a $1,000 for my family to attend a game, i .e., tickets, food, hotel, etc.

VN Store

Back