How Did Our S&C Look Today?

vegasvolfan

Marketing Professional With 25 Years of Experience
I have been hearing some good things about a player here and there being in better shape. Was this noticeable as a unit today? Sounds like poor D effort? Lack of DL push and getting off blocks? Lots of broken tackles? How did our O look here? Separation by receivers? QB sacks or hurries? Yards after contact? Did we look gassed after the second half? Speed? What about the eye test across the board?

I have been hearing some good things about a player here and there being in better shape. Was this noticeable as a unit today? Sounds like poor D effort? Lack of DL push and getting off blocks? Lots of broken tackles? How did our O look here? Separation by receivers? QB sacks or hurries? Yards after contact? Did we look gassed after the second half? Speed? What about the eye test across the board?
Literally missing like half of our starting DL lol as well as depth at LB. Defense will be better in the fall.

Everything else looked pretty good. We have an issue at DB that needs to get fixed and we need to work on tackling a bit more.

Overall the team looked good. I would like to see a different punter (Brooks just doesn’t punt very far) and a different FG kicker (USC Transfer doesn’t have a strong leg). I think we have a Freshman on roster who can smash 50+ Yd field goals but he wasn’t kicking for some reason.

Literally missing like half of our starting DL lol as well as depth at LB. Defense will be better in the fall.

Everything else looked pretty good. We have an issue at DB that needs to get fixed and we need to work on tackling a bit more.

Overall the team looked good. I would like to see a different punter (Brooks just doesn’t punt very far) and a different FG kicker (USC Transfer doesn’t have a strong leg). I think we have a Freshman on roster who can smash 50+ Yd field goals but he wasn’t kicking for some reason.
Not sure how different the defensive scheme will be under this new staff, but all these bodies missing in the spring isn't a good thing. They need all the work/reps they can get on both sides of the ball. I've never bought into the idea that players can just miss spring and who knows how much summer work then just trot out in fall camp and be ready for SEC ball. Don't know what injuries these players are dealing with, but they must be pretty severe that it takes 18-22 year old bodies 3-4 months+ to recover from. Did they have surgery? ETA on when they'll be cleared to return?

Reactions: 08Vol
How fast do we run a play? 10 seconds or less?
I watched the video that Freak posted. Some took 10-15 seconds, but they were trying to go less than 10. I was actually surprised they ran as fast as they did being such a new way of playing for all of them. If the S&C coach is able to get them into the kind of shape needed to go that fast, I'd say under 10 will be the norm. Still, without the right trigger man behind center, it might not matter how fast we go. Wasn't real impressed by any of the qbs to be honest. Mauer looks like the best fit due to his legs, but if he's lacking between the ears.....

I watched the video that Freak posted. Some took 10-15 seconds, but they were trying to go less than 10. I was actually surprised they ran as fast as they did being such a new way of playing for all of them. If the S&C coach is able to get them into the kind of shape needed to go that fast, I'd say under 10 will be the norm. Still, without the right trigger man behind center, it might not matter how fast we go. Wasn't real impressed by any of the qbs to be honest. Mauer looks like the best fit due to his legs, but if he's lacking between the ears.....
HB nearly went for 300 yards and had 3TD's with no turnovers. Hooker & Mauer went against the same caliber players as he did and didnt look like him. Im hearing alot about these guys with legs but they are so far behind Bailey as passers that I dnt think it matters. U dont need a running Qb for this offense u need a great decision maker. I dont need to run if I know where to throw the ball. The whole point of spreading the field is to make the defensive play picture clear to the Qb. That's why they score so much. Just from watching the scrimmage, HB looks like the guy to me, and while he will never be confused with Lamar he isnt a statue at Qb. He is mobile enough within the pocket and can make throws on the run. At 1st glance he looks improved and I expect him to make another major jump from the summer through fall camp. IMHO BM is QB2 bc he is too inconsistent, Hooker is QB3 bc you cant win throwing for less then 200 a game, Salter will probably take a RS.

We didn't get to see the entire spring practices, but HB seems to be the one who can get it down the field consistently. Hooker will be servicable if HB is injured. We don't know if Milton will be in the mix as of yet but he will be behind on running this offense.

I liked the speed of the offense, not a break neck hectic thing that Oregon ran where the official could barely get the ball set.
Hopefully they can also slow it down and run a methodical pace when necessary without penalties etc.

Reactions: tbh
HB nearly went for 300 yards and had 3TD's with no turnovers. Hooker & Mauer went against the same caliber players as he did and didnt look like him. Im hearing alot about these guys with legs but they are so far behind Bailey as passers that I dnt think it matters. U dont need a running Qb for this offense u need a great decision maker. I dont need to run if I know where to throw the ball. The whole point of spreading the field is to make the defensive play picture clear to the Qb. That's why they score so much. Just from watching the scrimmage, HB looks like the guy to me, and while he will never be confused with Lamar he isnt a statue at Qb. He is mobile enough within the pocket and can make throws on the run. At 1st glance he looks improved and I expect him to make another major jump from the summer through fall camp. IMHO BM is QB2 bc he is too inconsistent, Hooker is QB3 bc you cant win throwing for less then 200 a game, Salter will probably take a RS.
Bailey looked composed and level headed.
It's more difficult to find a smart QB than it is to find scramblers.

HB went 12-15, 3TD’s, almost 300 yards and 0 ints. Cant get much better than that. And he also hit his WR’s in stride a couple times over 40 yards down the field. He was by far the most impressive out of the 3. BM didn’t look bad either. I guess you still want JG to be the starter huh?

Not sure how different the defensive scheme will be under this new staff, but all these bodies missing in the spring isn't a good thing. They need all the work/reps they can get on both sides of the ball. I've never bought into the idea that players can just miss spring and who knows how much summer work then just trot out in fall camp and be ready for SEC ball. Don't know what injuries these players are dealing with, but they must be pretty severe that it takes 18-22 year old bodies 3-4 months+ to recover from. Did they have surgery? ETA on when they'll be cleared to return?

They said on The Telecast that Latrell bumphus had surgery, but I'm not sure about Solomon.

Reactions: CAVPUT
Both offense and defense appeared to have better pad level and technique. Still not perfect but better so strength improvement couldn’t be judged.
Since the teams were rotated by series and we were running such a fast pace that I don’t think a team was on the field for more than 5-7 actual minutes ( there were 3 series in less than 3 game minute with 2 scores) I don’t believe we got a real feel for conditioning either.

Milton coming in, with some good coaching, could throw a serious wrench into the QB room. He is way more physically gifted than any of our current QB's. Physically. The jury is still out on the extent of his mental abilities

Milton coming in, with some good coaching, could throw a serious wrench into the QB room. He is way more physically gifted than any of our current QB's. Physically. The jury is still out on the extent of his mental abilities
if it were simply physical abilities Salter would be the guy hands down. This is about actually playing the position not playing off script sandlot football which isnt sustainable. That's why I believe HB is the guy. None of these guys can out throw him consistently, not even Milton.

I thought we looked solid honestly. I was there in person. Beckwith is as big as advertised. Bailey looked better than 4/4 somehow. BM played well, Hooker is a good scout team guy and remind me of Keller chryst.
Small is quick and tough, definitely the guy for this offense. And will be a great change-of-pace with Beckwith.
We threw the damn ball. And caught it which should not be impressive but it was

I thought we looked solid honestly. I was there in person. Beckwith is as big as advertised. Bailey looked better than 4/4 somehow. BM played well, Hooker is a good scout team guy and remind me of Keller chryst.
Small is quick and tough, definitely the guy for this offense. And will be a great change-of-pace with Beckwith.
We threw the damn ball. And caught it which should not be impressive but it was
It might take our receivers a few to adjust to the ball hitting them in the numbers, in stride lol

Not seeing many replies relative to strength and conditioning on here. The only one I saw was mostly implying that pad level offset the ability to tell if there was an obvious difference. Pad level does not address every area mentioned above. What I am going with is no, there was not much of a difference to notice lol

VN Store

Back