How did Jalen Hurts.....

get his degree in 2 1/2 years? I thought it took 4-5 years for regular students to acquire their degree. Just curious to know if that's common.
It’s Alabama.......it’s like 6th grade crap.

Edit.....all honesty. It’s not hard with what has already been mentioned. HS AP classes, summer, online, etc.....Good for him and those that are focused on it.

It does seem hard. Let's try this scenario out. Need 120 hours for the most basic degree. If you can for 18 hours, 6 classes into a fall or spring semester and 12 over the summer and 3 over mini term between spring and summer, then here you go.

year 1: 18+18+3+12=51
year 2: 18+18+3+12=51
year 3: 18

So after fall of your junior or 3rd year, then 120 hours! Not easy and your classes have to be available in the exact semester you need them.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
It does seem hard. Let's try this scenario out. Need 120 hours for the most basic degree. If you can for 18 hours, 6 classes into a fall or spring semester and 12 over the summer and 3 over mini term between spring and summer, then here you go.

year 1: 18+18+3+12=51
year 2: 18+18+3+12=51
year 3: 18

So after fall of your junior or 3rd year, then 120 hours! Not easy and your classes have to be available in the exact semester you need them.

Again, Jalen was at Bama for 6 semesters, not 5.

Its like when guys graduate with a communications degree. Not too much to it. And he probably didnt do that much work himself to begin with.

my son has a communications degree and is doing quite well with HGTV for 10+ years now...you should know that a degree doesn't mean squat unless you find your niche and work smart..there are MANY with PHD's that I wouldn't consider hiring or asking them for their service....quoting a famous talking head, 'your life's your own damn fault'

get his degree in 2 1/2 years? I thought it took 4-5 years for regular students to acquire their degree. Just curious to know if that's common.
If Jalen applied himself no problem...
Probably pretty common, I got a Bachelors degree with two majors and a minor in 2.5 years by going to summer classes at a well respected university and loading 18-21+ hours per semester. A couple of my electives were in the MBA program so I figure that makes me fast, smart and studious.
I got an 2 year associates degree in BA from a community college in 3 years and that makes me slow, dumb and lazy. 30 years later still not sure if I learned anything from either!
Its really not uncommon for a kid who never leaves campus ( there all summer) to be able to get things done and especially with access to tutors like majors sports athletes have. My summer classes consisted of two semesters of 5 weeks each. So two summer sessions = 2 years basically but the classes were 3.5 hours IIRC so you could only take 2 classes per "semester".

Reactions: swamprat#10
I’d say good luck with that. And they’ll definitely be real subtle with that “encouragement”. Negative recruiting could include ole HC’s attempt to keep Johnny from getting his education too early cuz football. Helluva ESPN segment.
let me know when ESPN runs a story on Orgeron doing this. did it to one of our DBs from LA under Butch.

depending on the degree but a lot of programs don't even start you on major specific stuff until your second year.

Got a name does he?
I think it was Labruzza. but couldn't remember. and I suck with the search function.

he wanted/is doing engineering and Orgeron was trying to talk him into something simpler so he could focus on football. Labruzza and his parents didn't like that and he stuck with us.

*not his parents but his guardians. he lost both of his parent before he committed.

Reactions: butchna
I think it was Labruzza. but couldn't remember. and I suck with the search function.

he wanted/is doing engineering and Orgeron was trying to talk him into something simpler so he could focus on football. Labruzza and his parents didn't like that and he stuck with us.

*not his parents but his guardians. he lost both of his parent before he committed.
UT Sports site says Labruzza is a business major.

Did anyone take a mini-term session at UT? IIRC, you want to class during Christmas break for 4-5 hours per day for 2 weeks. Never did it, but probably should have for a tough class.

Did anyone take a mini-term session at UT? IIRC, you want to class during Christmas break for 4-5 hours per day for 2 weeks. Never did it, but probably should have for a tough class.
I did it. For me it was between spring semester and summer. Took 2 classes for a few weeks (can't remember exactly) - first from 9-12 then the second from 1-4. Heck of a way to knock out some electives

Everybody seems to forget these kids can take online classes and transfer those credits in these days. Think the academic advisors provide the details of which institution and which classes are the best for students athletes to take and xfer in? If not you're living in the the 1980s and dial up modems of 19.2 kilobytes.

I did it. For me it was between spring semester and summer. Took 2 classes for a few weeks (can't remember exactly) - first from 9-12 then the second from 1-4. Heck of a way to knock out some electives
I did the same thing. I don’t remember what it was really, it was in the library and we watched movies with a lot of gratituous sex scenes and full frontal half the time. It was pretty uncomfortable. The funny part was walking out of class and both guys and girls would be on the phone right away seeing what their significant other was doing. It was some European History through film ********. I don’t know .

One of my buddies son left Hs with over 30 college credits. He graduated before he turned 21

VN Store

Back