How can S.C. keep their mascot?

For the participants in this thread, please spell it rooster. Rosters are just a list of names. R -O- O- S - T - E - R.

Reactions: Brave Volunteer
I am offended OP castigates southerners as the largely guilty culture, here.

I have proof that cock fighting was going on in NYC even in the mid 90s. This pic clearly shows two Manhattan urbanites training their rooster for the despicable sport.
The_little_jerry.jpg

Last edited:
it's a reference to thomas sumter. a SC revolutionary war legend. he was compared to a fighting gamecock by the British because of how wild of an opponent he was.
And this is why they shouldn’t change their mascot. I like for team names to mean something, rather than a generic cat like tiger.. If people have a problem with a mascot, they should research it and see if celebrating a sinister activity is truly at the core of the mascot.
(I should research and see why the War Eagle was replaced by a Tiger…)

Reactions: DuckInAPen and tbh
And this is why they shouldn’t change their mascot. I like for team names to mean something, rather than a generic cat like tiger.. If people have a problem with a mascot, they should research it and see if celebrating a sinister activity is truly at the core of the mascot.
(I should research and see why the War Eagle was replaced by a Tiger…)

Exactly. i love telling people about the alamo and davy crockett when they ask questions or are smarta**es about the name "Volunteers".

dear-god-please-make-it-stop.jpg

BTW, the Tiger's Eye on the 50 at LSU is/was on the flag of the Washington Artillery of New Orleans (CSA) which was on the field at First Manassas (Bull Run) and is now the 141st Field Artillery of the US Army. The nickname "Tigers" refers to Wheat's Tigers one of the best regiments in the Army of Northern Virginia. Trivia: One of the Superintendents of the Louisiana State Seminary of Learning and Military Academy, which was renamed Louisiana State University after the War, was one William Tecumseh Sherman. He resigned when Louisiana seceded. Sherman's troops captured two of the cannon that had fired on Fort Sumter when they took Charleston. He donated them to the school after Appomattox. They are currently in front of the ROTC building.

There is a reason all this renaming "wokeness" is a load of what Farmer Brown Hauled off.

Last edited:
You don’t have to be “woke” to recognize that cock fighting is messed up.
It’s not my bag baby, but boxing, mma, and football are probably viewed as “messed up” by lots of folks. Obviously we have a different view of “woke” as mine is when the Twitter world decides somebody or something is wrong then some folks start jumping up & down trying to appease the social media masses instead of ignoring them.

So how many people get offended by............?
200w.gif

In this day and age. I 'm amazed that someone has not demanded they change their name.;)

Reactions: BigDave
Serious question, please keep this G-rated and set suggestive jokes aside.

Why do they have a mascot emblematic of an illegal activity? Cockfighting is not only stupid, it’s distasteful politically to fight animals (think Michael Vick), and it appeals to a heritage of ignorance that most southerners would rather forget. Besides, who wants to be known as the chickens? I have chickens and love them as pets, but there is a reason they are at the bottom of the pecking order (so to speak). Whatever history lesson SC fans can provide as explanation has been irrelevant for at least a generation.
Hawks? I like it.
Eagles? Nice.
Ravens? Cool.
Owls? Ok.
Chickens—seriously?

Sorry - - GO HUG A TREE!

Reactions: txbo and VolDave53
Brave, that's what a game cock is. The "game" in the name is cockfighting.

break/break

I don't mind it. If South Carolina wants to honor the dude Fort Sumter was named after by adopting his nickname, that's fine.

Way too much political correctness these days. We don't need to erase the past, we only need to grow from it.
This says it all!!!!

If you put two Game roosters in the same area (enclosed or not) they are going to fight. Anyone who has ever owned Game or "Banty" Roosters know this is a fact. You don't have to be a "cock fighter" or a gambler to see two roosters fighting. Just walk by any place where the roosters roam free and you will see it. It's the same with any male animals especially at mating time. Roosters fight; Game roosters just happen to be better at it than other breeds.
I don't endorse cock fighting as an organized gambling sport but then again I don't lose any sleep over it either.

Hummmmm does this explain a lot about us human male animals.

This has zero to do with Tennessee football, make it go away

VN Store

Back