How Barnes can recruit like this?

Barnes has a crazy recruiting strategy to get 3 star players that are 4 or 5 stars in talent.

Yea he’s also recruited a lot of players that haven’t produced but to get all these 3 stars like Grant, Admiral, Bone, Bowden, Alexander, Turner, etc is nothing short of miraculous imo....

I’m not sure that it’s really sustainable though on a yearly basis Bc if your evaluations are off then you bring in guys that will really struggle. I see where he got a 5 star guard coming in, but he’s going to need more 4 star and 5 star talents to sustain anywhere near the level of success we’re having currently....

Anybody hv any opinions on this?
Shows that Barnes can coach and his coaches are good.

Coach Barnes is a late bloomer that's coming into full bloom this season...:D

GO VOLS...RECRUIT LIKE HECK!

Barnes saved his best for last and we're the benefactors. I didn't even get stressed in this game cuz I new they'd find a way to win it.
We destroyed them in the paint 34-12. Only team that manhandled us in the paint this season was Gonzaga and we still found a way to beat them.
Fine with me if he just keeps doing it this way. Coach up em 3 stars.

Barnes wants players that will let him coach them up, regardless o the stars they have. He will take a 5 star that has the right attitude, i.e. Josiah James, but not just any 5 star player that thinks he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I'd bet that he recruits 5 stars but also let's them know that they'll not receive preferential treatment and will have the same expectations as the lower rated recruits. I think that he'd let them know they'll be better off elsewhere if they can't commit to those standards. He's not going to turn down a Bernard King, Lew Alcindor, Shaq, Patrick Ewing, Ralph Sampson, Chris Jackson, or many others if they want to play at UT. He might could kick them off though if they don't comply with the rules that he sets for them.

I would be happy to see the death of the one-and-done system. It is ruining college basketball

Agree. Not interested in super stars who are going to spend a year at the college level. I would tune out fast.

I love watching players develop and teams gel.

Barnes has this team buying in on playing defense and being physical. In order to do that it requires guys committing to wanting this and holding each other accountable. Is it sustainable without getting elite talent not sure. Odds are next years team will depend on Walker, Pons and a few others elevating their game beyond what we see now. I can see this team being ranked again especially if Grant returns. This current squad though is special, enjoy this ride.

I'd bet that he recruits 5 stars but also let's them know that they'll not receive preferential treatment and will have the same expectations as the lower rated recruits. I think that he'd let them know they'll be better off elsewhere if they can't commit to those standards. He's not going to turn down a Bernard King, Lew Alcindor, Shaq, Patrick Ewing, Ralph Sampson, Chris Jackson, or many others if they want to play at UT. He might could kick them off though if they don't comply with the rules that he sets for them.
Agree, however, there are not going to be too many prima Donna 5 stars that will commit to these standards. Josiah James definitely fits the mold that Barnes is looking for. If I had a kid being recruited , Barnes would be the first coach I would have him look at. He is definitely someone you could trust and know will make your kid the best player they can be.

VN Store

Back