How bad was Will Friend

I remember saying will Friend needed to be fired during and after the first season he was here. Several people on her and I mean several said I didn't know what I was talking about. Just another post letting me know that all my responses where worth it. The retards know who they are.
Nice. I disagreed with you without knowing my apparent diagnosis. I gave him time and don’t regret my approach.

Reactions: Border Vol
I agree I watched Munoz years ago & Smith recently and kept saying they don't look as good as the hype. Also, I think I was hesitant to bring up as many were, Trey getting beat a lot because of his situation, Everybody wanted Munoz to be a Stud because of the love for his dad one of the best ever in the NFL. Even the media loved his dad so much they seemed to prop his son up like the media do if you are their picks. Also, I think Fulmer or someone promised Munoz starting as a freshman to get him. He was terrible he got beat almost every pass play. Somehow got 2nd team all-SEC but fizzled out and quit football due to knees I think.
Very good football player who’s body didn’t hold up.

Aubarn is about to find out!
Well, as a fan with battered VOL syndrome. It would be our luck that will friend goes there and coaches lights out, parlays it into an oc position somewhere and talks the new head coach to hire beldar to be the defensive coordinator, but only if the whole staff is bald.

I agree I watched Munoz years ago & Smith recently and kept saying they don't look as good as the hype. Also, I think I was hesitant to bring up as many were, Trey getting beat a lot because of his situation, Everybody wanted Munoz to be a Stud because of the love for his dad one of the best ever in the NFL. Even the media loved his dad so much they seemed to prop his son up like the media do if you are their picks. Also, I think Fulmer or someone promised Munoz starting as a freshman to get him. He was terrible he got beat almost every pass play. Somehow got 2nd team all-SEC but fizzled out and quit football due to knees I think.

I totally and completely agree with this assessment of Munoz! It was as if Fulmer was azz kissing up to him for some apparent reason. Though football is a team sport, I remember him costing us a couple of games. He just never met the hype Fulmer pushed him up to be. I even remember Fulmer vocally complaining when he didn't get drafted!

I know I do not have the NFL draft expertise to think Brad Kaaya and Josh Dobbs would be better than Patrick Mahomes and Deshaun Watson but I ran across the following evaluations of Trey Smith. Not many of them are good regarding his technique and coaching that he received his last 3 years:

From CBS Sports:

149th on their draft board. Has huge concerns about technique.

From NFL.com

"I guess you don't like big, aggressive guards, Lance? I know he has things to work on, but they can be coached up

From Yahoo Sports:

Looked like a future pro the minute he took the field as a true freshman.

Technique is unrefined despite four years of experience. Inconsistencies still show up with regularity — has missed critical practice time and offseason development because of medical issues. Can be overly aggressive and lose balance. Could get out of his stance cleaner at times — takes too big a first step and loses the position battle. Can stand to take better angles of departure.

Will overextend and lunge in pass protection. Loses leverage battles he should win. Has worked on lowering pad level over time, but it crops up. Fatigue appears to cause technique issues later in games and later in the season.

Power player but doesn’t always displace opponents effectively. Mistimes punches and resorts to jabs. Will slip off blocks and fail to sustain and drive. Can lose reps trying to bury opponents. Lot of stalemates and fewer dominant reps in 2020 tape — performance seemed to flatline or even turn for the worse.

From SI

His lower leg drive and ability to move players stands out on tape, but there are athletic limitations and technical flaws to his game.

Smith telegraphs his assignments for starters and often looks at who is going to block before the snap, which is correctable, but a bad habit.

He also has a bad tendency to pop straight up in the air after the snap, forcing his pad level and center of gravity to rise.

The athletic ability will always cap his once immense upside, but technical issues seem to hold him back from a higher ceiling. Teams are going to love his pedigree, and they’ll like his measurables and strength, but Smith isn’t polished.

Well I'm not shocked we seen line full of 5 stars look like candies line, and kensucky defense with far less talent handle our oline

Will Friend has traded on the names of his friends, his entire career. Pruitt just happened to be the dumbest of his friends. Now he's back to riding Bobo's meager coattails.

This is more a product of him not having a ton of practice time due to his health issues and not necessarily bad coaching. Smith just suited up and played football most days and never really practiced technique.

Well, as a fan with battered VOL syndrome. It would be our luck that will friend goes there and coaches lights out, parlays it into an oc position somewhere and talks the new head coach to hire beldar to be the defensive coordinator, but only if the whole staff is bald.

Completely sympathize with this, but my feeling is that AU will have buyer's remorse before very much of the '21 season has gone by.

So...you're saying that assistant coaches matter? This is news to ALL of us!
Sorry, but I don't follow. Would you possibly rephrase? I do believe that assistant coaches matter. If you have ever played any organized sport at any level you know that. Bad technical coming cannot be overcome against teams with equal talent and good coaching.
For example: one of my teammates had a horrible position coach and he was hurt all the time as were many teammates in his position group. That coach was fired and with the new guy he was never injured and performed at a completely different level.
Position coaches matter. A head coach can screw it all up too, but bad coaching is bad.

VN Store

Back