How bad is Tennessee pass defense ? Future defense 2022 ?

I was trying to figure out how "good" our defensive coaches are.
I know Martinez has like 25+ years experience and is supposed to be considered pretty good, but with how bad our DB's played I find it hard to believe he is a good coach.
Our LB coach Brian Jean-Mary has been at Michigan, Texas, USF, GT and Louisville. he has a lot of experience but I do not know how "good" he is
DL coach Rodney Garner - enough said, he is awesome
Eckler - I know he is great at special teams but I do not know about OLB/DE experience

OK I Googled and found this article from when the staff was hired, just gives a brief background and does not say good/bad

Tennessee football: Breaking down Vols’ new defensive coaching staff

Edit: You cannot teach speed, you either have it or you don't, everything else is coachable and we are missing speed in the secondary

Last edited:
I know Martinez has like 25+ years experience and is supposed to be considered pretty good, but with how bad our DB's played I find it hard to believe he is a good coach.
Our LB coach Brian Jean-Mary has been at Michigan, Texas, USF, GT and Louisville. he has a lot of experience but I do not know how "good" he is
Eckler - I know he is great at special teams but I do not know about OLB/DE experience

OK I Googled and found this article from when the staff was hired, just gives a brief background and does not say good/bad

I don't care how good a coach is, he still has to have talent to work with. What we have in the secondary and at LB isn't SEC level talent. Might not be D1 in some cases. You put those guys up against legit P5 players and we ain't winning those matchups.

Got to remember this was a first year staff, playing with pieces of a puzzle that were missing about 10 pieces.
Have to get recruiting and keep adding pieces back to the puzzle.
We don’t like to hear or say it, but it will take time for the defense to get back up there.

No doubt that the DB play was as bad as I’ve seen. To be fair though, we didn’t pressure the QB enough either. Got to get some better pass rush schemes. I watched Bama and Georgia in the QB’s face all game. Blitzed constantly. The Cincy and Michigan QB’s are sore this morning. Of course I need to remember that they have DB’s that can cover and allow the LB’s some freedom.

Vols were rarely able to get pressure on the Purdue QB even when they blitzed. But this staff has had this group of DBs in spring practice, over the summer, fall camp, a 12 game schedule and at least 3 weeks of bowl preparations. These guys are slow by SEC standards so it is difficult to cover man to man, but they should be able to account for that in other ways. Most times, there is not a DB within 5 yds of the receiver when the catch is made. The run support provided is not much better and they struggle to tackle in space.

Vols need to improve at every position on the defense. Next year will be another struggle to get to the Music City/Gator Bowl level in wins. UGA and Alabama are dominant teams because they play defense. Vols have a lot of work in that area to improve upon this season.

Reactions: 87&91ALUM

Name for me 1 of our LBs and DBs that would be starting at any other SEC school not named Vandy, and honestly you might include them in there because I don’t think we have a single player that is a lock to start for them.

Our roster, from a talent perspective, is not good. Pruitt was as bad of an evaluator of talent as he was a coach.

The prior head coach did not recruit enough pass rushers. The prior head coach emphasized size over speed at LB. The best corner was out. The offense plays fast, which leads to a lot of possessions. Even with all that being said, the defense created turnovers, had a 3 and out late that the offense blew, and stiffened up enough in overtime where Purdue needed a FG from about 40 yards.

I don't care how good a coach is, he still has to have talent to work with. What we have in the secondary and at LB isn't SEC level talent. Might not be D1 in some cases. You put those guys up against legit P5 players and we ain't winning those matchups.

I have watch all games this year. There were people in the backfield I just can't remember hearing of before. Were we missing some starters back there? You would never know it by the TV guys who were in love with the "walk-on" team of Purdue players. I think if their water-girl was out and covered by a back-up (for sure if that sub had been a walk-on) they would have made something of it every time the girl was need on the field. (which was a whole lot considering the number of "hurt guys Purdue had.

Reactions: BreatheUT
This is possibly one of the worst defensive secondary play I can remember : 75 yd td, 70 yd td, 62 yd td, Purdue quarterback 534 yds passing, total penalties 14 for 128, 45 points, 2 sacks. What will the defense be like in 2022 ? Big problems- pass rush, linebackers, cornerbacks, safeties !!

Different years, different players. What was not working well in 2021 can be fixed for 2022. I don't think the same 4 to 6 guys who were in our secondary this year will be the exact 4 to 6 guys we have next year. And those that are back can be coached up. The sky is not falling, Chicken Little.

We're going to be putting up120 points a game, so, it won't matter.

Yes, it does. That has to be the most asinine statement yet. And the first nomination for dumbass statement of the year is yours. Congratulations!

So what if we might average 120 points a game playing fast. If the other team plays fast too, it is a scoring fest. And if they have the better D? Guess what? They will score on 7 or 8 out of 10 drives, while we score 5 or 6 of ten drives. Do the math.

The players this defensive staff have to work with is the product of super recruiting defensive mastermind Jeremy Pruitt. Remember DB’s were his specialty. Outside of Alonte Taylor…Martinez was trying to turn chicken 💩 into chicken salad. That goes actually for this entire staff given the athletes they inherited. They were already poorly coached beyond a reasonable doubt to begin with. Factor in zero elite pass rushers and these back up role DBs are even in more trouble every passing down.

Transfer portal and recruiting will makes this better. In the meantime…having Hendon Hooker back with Tillman to run an elite offense will be our strength next year. The same as Ole Miss from year 1 to year 2 under Kiffin with Corrall.

The worst secondary play I've seen all year.

We played one of our worst games, against dirty play (fake injuries), against the worst officiating of any game this year, and we still should have won.

Yes, it does. That has to be the most asinine statement yet. And the first nomination for dumbass statement of the year is yours. Congratulations!

So what if we might average 120 points a game playing fast. If the other team plays fast too, it is a scoring fest. And if they have the better D? Guess what? They will score on 7 or 8 out of 10 drives, while we score 5 or 6 of ten drives. Do the math.
Coming from you, that's high praise! 😂😂😂

Happy New Year to you and your sister.

VN Store

Back