How bad is our BB Program

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
That's really about all I can even say about it. We flat out stink. I haven't seen a team play so bad on the road since the Wade Houston era. This is not acceptable in my book. Something needs to change. Is Buzz getting it done?

Someone once told me "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh**." Pat Summitt even said "You can't coach effort." I wouldn't have Buzz Peterson's job. Can you imagine the pressure to compete with Pat Summitt? When was the last time a REAL men's basketball star committed to UT? I don't even remember. It's not Buzz. It's that bunch of no-talents he has to deal with. (In my no-talent opinion.)

Freak, remember when we were in the Sweet 16 and had a 7 point lead on North Carolina with 5 minutes left? We blew the lead and it's been downhill ever since. Other than 2-3 years, it's been pretty pathetic since the days of Tony White and Dale Ellis in the early 80's.

It makes no sense that schools like South Carolina, Mississippi State and Vanderbilt are probably going to the NCAA tournament and we're not. How in the hell do we let anybody from Starkville, Mississippi outrecruit us?

GAVol, "The Wizard" (Tony White) is one of my all time favorite players. I was at the game when he hung 51 on Auburn at Stokley.

I remember that NC game very well. That's the best season we have had in the last 20 years, how could I forget. We should have won that game and probably would have made it to the final four. You think Green would still be here if that had happened?

LIO, wave have had some highly recruited players such as Yarbrough, Harris, Hathway (yes he was a McDonald's All-American). I think there are a lot better teams out there over the last 10 years with less talent than us. Although O'Neals first couple of years had to be probably the least talented teams I have ever seen.

As for this years team, I don't think it is a lack of talent. MAYBE a lack of experience, but not a lack of talent. Crump is an above average inside player who I think would really show his talent on a better team. Scooter proved at Memphis that he can play. Winchester and Wingate were both very highly recruited and should be playing a lot better than they are. Asumnu has some ability as does Hendrix. Watson has received national accolades and played on the some (I forget which) USA team last year. Albrecht has a decent outside shot and could be a contributor with more PT and a better defensive effort.

How many times in college basketball have you seen a program like Gonzaga, Murray St., Princeton, etc. (I could go on and on) beat a big name program. No one could argue that these programs have more talent but rather they are solid teams with a good coach and a good system. TALENT is not our probem, imo.

Every basketball player on this team is fundamentally weak. The half court sets are pathetic. You tell me, how talented do you have to be to inbound the ball under your own basket?

I like Buzz as a person but he has shown me absolutely nothing that makes me think he can coach basketball. Don't forget his first year he had Haslip, Yarbrough, and Slay (who did get hurt) and could not make it to the dance. AND his best player right now is a Jerry Green recruit in Brandon Crump. Can you imagine how bad our inside game would be without Crump?

VN Store

Back