How am I just now seeing this?!

Smh, you literally didn’t read a word I said.
I said as it relates to the number of high profile athletes they sign. Sure Saban signs a ton of 5 star and high 4 star athletes. So, they should have more in the NFL. That’s not the issue. The issue is how does this compare in percentage to high rated players who elsewhere. There was an article a while back about which schools were getting the most out of talent, that being taking marginal high school players and then getting to NFL.

I said as it relates to the number of high profile athletes they sign. Sure Saban signs a ton of 5 star and high 4 star athletes. So, they should have more in the NFL. That’s not the issue. The issue is how does this compare in percentage to high rated players who elsewhere. There was an article a while back about which schools were getting the most out of talent, that being taking marginal high school players and then getting to NFL.
Ah, you must be one from that crowd that doesn't believe anything he does is impressive because he recruits all the best players. Saban is a college coach - recruiting top talent is the single biggest part of a college football coach's job.

Why do you suppose Saban gets all the best talent? Could it have anything to do with the fact he puts the most guys in the NFL? 4 and 5-star players all have aspirations of playing in the NFL and they go to programs largely on the basis of which program they think gives them the best shot to make it to the league.

25% of 5 star recruits wind up going in the first round of the draft.

At Bama under Saban, that number is 50%.

So, to answer your question: Saban is better at sending guys to the pros than most of his contemporaries.

25% of 5 star recruits wind up going in the first round of the draft.

At Bama under Saban, that number is 50%.

So, to answer your question: Saban is better at sending guys to the pros than most of his contemporaries.
Sure, but not only is he getting 5 stars, but he’s getting the best of those.

It takes more than getting talent. Talented players weren't Fulmers issue. Heck look at some of Butchs classes were dripping with NFL kids.

It takes more than getting them on campus.

So, he isn’t? UT has gotten a few 5 stars over the years and Trey Smith is the only Saban level one I’ve seen and only one Saban recruited.
Trey Smith is the only player both Saban and Tennessee have wanted over the last few years? Yeah right.

Smith is the only 5 star player UT has signed that Saban wanted. Learn to read.
Good God, you're such a smartass.

You did a goalpost move about the initial topic, now are pedantic about star rating. There haven't been any 5-stars other than Trey Smith that Tennessee signed that Saban wanted, but have there been 4-stars that fit that billing?

Good God, you're such a smartass.

You did a goalpost move about the initial topic, now are pedantic about star rating. There haven't been any 5-stars other than Trey Smith that Tennessee signed that Saban wanted, but have there been 4-stars that fit that billing?
Provide a list.

Provide a list.
A list of what? I asked you a question - are there any 4-stars that Tennessee signed that Saban also wanted?

I don't know who Saban "truly wanted" (a nebulous term that nobody really knows). I know that Tennessee has a signed a bunch of players that also had an offer from Alabama - a quick perusal of 247 will show you that.

A list of what? I asked you a question - are there any 4-stars that Tennessee signed that Saban also wanted?

I don't know who Saban "truly wanted" (a nebulous term that nobody really knows). I know that Tennessee has a signed a bunch of players that also had an offer from Alabama - a quick perusal of 247 will show you that.
This gets back to the old committable offer. As you know, all of these schools extend hundreds of offers yet only sign 20-25z
Bama has dominated recruiting over the last decade more than any program. So, you would expect their rate of NFL players to be the highest. If you think UT has landed a number of prospects Saban wanted at any kind of rate that would even register, you’re crazy. Trey Smith is the only 5 star prospect UT signed that Saban truly lost on. If you can’t even name one 4 star or 5 star the. That proves my point.

Trey Smith would be NFL bound whether he signed with Vandy, UT, Bama or even Milligan College. Those types are rare and no one has landed more of those than Bama. It’s not even debatable.

This gets back to the old committable offer. As you know, all of these schools extend hundreds of offers yet only sign 20-25z
Bama has dominated recruiting over the last decade more than any program. So, you would expect their rate of NFL players to be the highest. If you think UT has landed a number of prospects Saban wanted at any kind of rate that would even register, you’re crazy. Trey Smith is the only 5 star prospect UT signed that Saban truly lost on. If you can’t even name one 4 star or 5 star the. That proves my point.

Trey Smith would be NFL bound whether he signed with Vandy, UT, Bama or even Milligan College. Those types are rare and no one has landed more of those than Bama. It’s not even debatable.
How do you know that bolded part? I never claimed to know 5-star players we signed that Saban lost on, or any 4-stars for that matter. I was asking you how you knew Trey Smith was the only 5-star Saban lost on.

We both agree that Alabama and Saban have dominated recruiting for the last dozen years or so. My question is...why is that? Why does he always sign the best players? Is that not indicative of something? I've never understood using the fact that Saban always signs the best classes to somehow minimize or downplay what he's doing. "Eh, it's not an NFL factory, and he isn't even a great coach; he just signs the best players." Well, why do you suppose that is?

If there's only one skill you got to be elite at as a CFB coach, it'd be recruiting. Not hiring a staff, not game management, or anything else. Saban knows this, which is why he's so good at it.

How do you know that bolded part? I never claimed to know 5-star players we signed that Saban lost on, or any 4-stars for that matter. I was asking you how you knew Trey Smith was the only 5-star Saban lost on.

We both agree that Alabama and Saban have dominated recruiting for the last dozen years or so. My question is...why is that? Why does he always sign the best players? Is that not indicative of something? I've never understood using the fact that Saban always signs the best classes to somehow minimize or downplay what he's doing. "Eh, it's not an NFL factory, and he isn't even a great coach; he just signs the best players." Well, why do you suppose that is?

If there's only one skill you got to be elite at as a CFB coach, it'd be recruiting. Not hiring a staff, not game management, or anything else. Saban knows this, which is why he's so good at it.
All you have to do is follow recruiting to know that.

Let me guess - it's because Alabama pays? And no other schools do, right?

Enlighten me.
Huh? Recruiting isn’t that hard to follow. Players are rated, get offers, get committable offers. Not sure what your trying to make of this. All I’m saying is that Sabans NFL player success rate has more to do with the level of athletes he consistently signs than anything he does with them while at Bama.

If I was going to throw shade it would be more towards the use of performance enhancement than paying players.

Huh? Recruiting isn’t that hard to follow. Players are rated, get offers, get committable offers. Not sure what your trying to make of this. All I’m saying is that Sabans NFL player success rate has more to do with the level of athletes he consistently signs than anything he does with them while at Bama.

If I was going to throw shade it would be more towards the use of performance enhancement than paying players.
Saban consistently signs high-level players, more than anybody else. Do you not think that's indicative of something about him as far as a coach? Why do you suppose all these high-level recruits want to play on his team? Because he's a warm and fuzzy guy?

If Saban is an amazing recruiter but just a "pretty good" coach, how does he sign all these elite guys?

UT hasnt signed all that many 5 stars so it's not a difficult thought process.

He probably didnt want Richmond.
I know he was after Kongbo, not sure how hard.
Phillip's? Not sure.
Wayna and wright he wanted both of them.

For the 4 stars To'oto'o is the easiest.
Omari Thomas.
Not sure how you want to track who Saban really wanted. Does that just mean finalist for?

UT hasnt signed all that many 5 stars so it's not a difficult thought process.

He probably didnt want Richmond.
I know he was after Kongbo, not sure how hard.
Phillip's? Not sure.
Wayna and wright he wanted both of them.

For the 4 stars To'oto'o is the easiest.
Omari Thomas.
Not sure how you want to track who Saban really wanted. Does that just mean finalist for?
That was kind of my point. Unless you're a real insider, there's no real way to know who Saban "really wanted." And it's so easy to claim after a kid busts that Saban, or some other really good coach, "didn't really want him."

If you follow recruiting closely you can speculate in a somewhat-informed way (i.e., like if Saban's already had multiple commit at a particular position and he offers another guy at that same position, perhaps he's just giving that kid the obligatory offer but in reality thinks he's set). But I don't think you can truly know.

VN Store

Back