Houston Nutt to Nebraska??

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
I have heard some rumblings that Nebraska is going after Arkansas coach Houston Nutt. That's kind of suprising to me. I never realized that Nutt was considered a big time coach. He doesn't have any ties to Nebraska does he?

Link

If they hire Nutt, Nebraska is going to look stupid. It already looks bad enough to fire the coach during a 10 win season, but if they don't get a superstar to come in there and take over, the players and more importantly the donors are going to be real disappointed.

This is a good example of why I'm a Fulmer supporter. There just aren't enough 10 win coaches out there to start firing the one you've already got.

Arkansas AD: Nutt Has Offer From Huskers
16 minutes ago

By DOUGLAS PILS, AP Sports Writer

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - Houston Nutt of Arkansas was offered the coaching job at Nebraska, and the Razorbacks were awaiting his decision. "He's just trying to decide now and weighing all options," Arkansas athletic director Frank Broyles said Friday. "I had a nice visit with him and I was kind of encouraged that he might stay."

Nebraska is looking to replace Frank Solich, who was fired Nov. 29 with a 9-3 record. Cornhuskers athletic director Steve Pederson has said he thought the program was slipping in stature compared to its Big 12 rivals.

Nebraska sports information director Chris Anderson said she couldn't confirm or deny if an offer had been made to Nutt.

Kansas City Chiefs (news) offensive coordinator Al Saunders turned down the Nebraska job, Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil said Thursday.

Broyles said Nutt, who was in Fayetteville, didn't give him a time frame for his decision. But Broyles expected one would be made Friday or Saturday.

"He hadn't called me yet, so they've been visiting with him, too, so we'll see what happens," Broyles said.

Arkansas finished 9-4 after beating Missouri 27-14 in the Independence Bowl on Wednesday. Besides beating Missouri from the Big 12, the Razorbacks also defeated Texas this year, giving Nutt wins over two teams that beat Nebraska this year.

Broyles gave Nebraska permission to speak with Nutt after Arkansas' victory over Missouri.

Broyles did not provide specifics about any counteroffers he might have made during his phone conversation with Nutt on Friday. Nutt receives an annual compensation package of about $800,000; Solich made about $1.1 million a year at Nebraska.

Broyles said he has two or three possible coaching candidates if he loses Nutt, but he didn't disclose names.

Nutt has a 48-27 record over six years at Arkansas, 10 fewer victories than Solich posted during the same span. The Razorbacks finished this season 9-4, Nutt's third nine-win season at Arkansas.

The Cornhuskers improved to 10-3 with a 17-3 win over Michigan State in the Alamo Bowl. Interim coach Bo Pelini guided Nebraska to the bowl victory.

So Nebraska is what, 0 for 2 now. Not a good start for a program that just fired a guy who averaged 9 wins.

VN Store

Back