Houston & Dormady

That's not true with Chryst at all. Chryst lost the job because he doesn't have the arm that JG has. As a "Field General", I think Chryst is probably slightly ahead of JG. As a guy who can throw a precision point pass 30+ yards down the field, I don't think there are too many people better than JG. Chryst is good enough to be a starting SEC QB. It's just that JG is better.
Talking about personality types. Alphas don't grad transfer and sit the bench.

Can't say it any better.

He did have an offer from Alabama, but given that he's a QB and not a RB, WR, or some defensive position he probably thought there wasn't room for him. I'm surprised he didn't go to one of the Big 12 or Texas schools that offered him. Tennessee seemed like a strange fit both because of the offense Butch ran and just the fact he's a Texas kid.

Butch's system was also bad for JG he is the most stereotypical pro style QB UT has had in a while even though he was listed as a DT. Ironic that Dobbs was listed as Pro style and he's the best DT we have ever had. All that said JG as well as Dormady was pedestrian in Butch's system 26 sacks in 6 games, no DT there..

This is true Chryst is a good QB. You don't start for a premier team in the PAC-12 and have success (while it may be marginal) without at least being a good QB. He was promised a chance to compete for the starting position here at UT and got beat out by a guy who more than likely is going to have a very successful career here at UT. Him not winning the job is a testament to how much JG has grown since last season and is a sign that great things are coming in the future.

Dormady on the hand should have never started a game here at UT IMO. Butch screwed the pooch with his mishandled QB competition and threw Dormady into a situation where he couldn't succeed. Dormady is the poster child for QB development under Butch Jones. When he got snaps against Northwestern in the Outback bowl it was apparent that his footwork and mechanics were no where near up to snuff. Almost 2 years later he starts vs. GT, he has the exact same issues and the results were poor. He by all means appears to be a good kid but he is continuing to show by being 3rd string this season to a freshman that he is just not a good QB.
Did Dormady not have to sit out this year?

VN Store

Back