Hottest / Coldest Football Game You've Attended

Lawrence Wright

Troll Brother #1
With the temperature exceeding 93 degress in Orlando today, heat index of 110 degrees with 100% humidity thrown in for good measure, a co-worker who's a UT alum and I were comparing notes on the hottest (and coldest) CFB game we've attended.

We both said, without question, hottest game was the 2003 UF-UT game in Gainesville. Noon kickoff, not a cloud in the sky, no breeze, easily 97 degrees in the shade.

He said your Cotton Bowl game against K-State(?) was the coldest he'd experienced.

Last edited:
This past year Florida game was Brutal in the sun. I think it was 92 or 93. I was down on field before hand and the temp gage they had on sideline was above 110 at one point.

Other than that game I believe it was UCLA in 09 here in Knoxville. Crazy hot. Cal was pretty hot too.

Coldest I've ever been in Neyland was KY 2 years ago. I could not stay warm. My seats were in the shade and breeze too.

Reactions: 3 people
Hottest one I've been to was the season opener against UAB in 2005. The heat index was over 100 degrees. We were seated in sec. AA (the student section) and watched more than a handful of students pass out from the combo of too much of a good thing on Friday night and the heat that afternoon.

The coldest one I've been to was the season finale versus Kentucky in 2008 (Phil's farewell game). We drove through snow flurries from NC on I-40. The game time temp was 38 degrees with a cold rain and a few snow flakes. Concessions ran out of hot chocolate and coffee before the half. We stayed through the end to make sure that Phil exited the field for one final time.

Reactions: newarkvol
I took my son to Lambeau to watch the Dallas/Green Bay playoff game back in 2015. Had to be the coldest game I ever went to. And yes, DEZ CAUGHT THE BALL!!! A runner up was the Liberty Bowl a few years back when Ark played East Carolina.

Played a Saturday afternoon game once in HS (in August). That was brutal.

And yes, I know neither of these are CFB games. Hottest CFB game had to be 03 in Gainesville. I know I probably said a couple of Hail Marys for relief. At least one was answered :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Hottest for me was 2003 vs Fresno St.

Sweated so much. 1 case of beer and zero trips to the bathroom. Actually had a kid spill a soda down my neck and I wasn't even mad.

Haven't had any truly cold experiences.

Reactions: 2 people
2011 against Montana at home. it was 97 and people were passing out, then the thunderstorm came through and the temp dropped 25 degrees. we left at halftime due to my kids being soaked and cold from the temp drop

With the temperature exceeding 93 degress in Orlando today, heat index of 110 degrees with 100% humidity thrown in for good measure, a co-worker who's also a UT alum and I were comparing notes on the hottest (and coldest) CFB game we've attended.

We both said, without question, hottest game was the 2003 UF-UT game in Gainesville. Noon kickoff, not a cloud in the sky, no breeze, easily 97 degrees in the shade.

He said your Cotton Bowl game against K-State(?) was the coldest he'd experienced.

Hmmmm, am I reading that right?

September game against Duke in 19..whatever. Still had astro truf. Hotter than blue blazes and froze to death in Little Rock when PM was a junior I think. Cold and wind out of the north. Froze my butt off.

Mine isn't entirely fair since I went to Arizona State for undergrad. We played Washington at home in late August/early September 1996. It was 102 degrees at kickoff at 7 PM.

Can't think of a really cold one.

Last year's Tennessee Ohio game was probably the hottest I've been to. Came down for the Auburn game in 2013 that was the coldest, almost everyone wearing sweatshirts and jackets.

Hottest was Florida last yr. Was in section FF and didn't have shade until less than 3 mins to go. A close second was Austin Peay in 2013.

Coldest was Vandy in 2013.

I was a child for both of these...but....

Hottest
1986 vs Miami. Shoes were melting on the AstroTurf. Miami band members had wool uniforms. A few of them collapsed and were taken to the hospital.

Coldest
1983 Gator Bowl vs Iowa

Honestly, my hottest game was 2007 Georgia. It was at home in early October and I thought I was going to melt!

Coldest was Vanderbilt same year! I had terrible seats, way up in Neyland and I froze my butt off for that game.

That Cotton Bowl vs. K-State was easily the coldest game I've ever attended. There was an ice storm the night before, I remember some stands couldn't sell beer due to the taps being frozen

Coldest was the 1983 game against Ole Miss. If I remember correctly that was the first night game played in Neyland in November.

It was surpassed later in the year at The Liberty Bowl.

Reactions: newarkvol
It's very recent and easier to remember, but the Florida game last year was extremely hot. I wasn't there but I have heard multiple people say that the Bowling Green game in 2015 in Nashville was the hottest they had been to.

Also very recent, but the Mizzou game last year was pretty cold. The reported air temp wasn't very cold (40/low 30s after sunset) but there was a pretty stiff breeze all day.

VN Store

Back