Hot Seat Article- Butch Jones again edition

You want to hear something that will drive you to drink ? (Sorry to ruin your Saturday lol)

That fool got FIVE years not four.

Funny how it seemed like a lifetime looking back on it. Hated the hire, but not like anyone else really wanted the gig by that point. First year was meh. Second year, maybe just maybe we are starting to turn a corner. Years 3-4 were just disappointing all around-all that talent with really no accomplishments. Lost a bunch of games we had no business losing. Year five was just a race to the bottom. That 2017 season was one of the most depressing things I have ever witnessed.
I think he tanked that last season to hasten his firing and buyout. Considering that, I wish him nothing but the worst in his ‘career’.

Reactions: tbh
That’s easy to say looking back. Who was calling for his head after 2015? No one and nor should they have been at that point. It’s easy to look back now and say this or that. Even I’m doing it as I’m saying he was a bad hire but I’m sure I wasn’t saying that after 2015. He did run that stupid read option his first year with Worley though when Worley basically never ran the ball (maybe twice all year?). That was enormously stupid and a huge red flag.
That and not being able to speak English. He tried so hard to look smart but came across as a moron.

Would it be inappropriate to smoke a cigar when he gets canned?

absolutely. He had nothing to do with the win against us when he fired one up, so you should be able to fire one up since you won’t have anything to do with his firing

I knew we were screwed after the first game of 17. We played GT in the MB dome (or was it still Georgia Dome then?). Was at that game and was painfully obvious our players had no interest in being there. Even the fanbase in attendance had a visceral reaction to the turnover trash can when it first appeared-think Botch lost most of them that night. How we squeaked out a win is beyond me-more a function of GT being horrible and collapsing than any skill on the part of UT. Lord knows we were never gonna out coach anyone with Botch at the helm.
We won only because the GT QB made a terrible decision on their last play. If he makes the obvious choice on the pitch option they walk in for the winning TD.

Last edited:
Reactions: VFLBerg and tbwhhs
Aside from Butchie boi, I couldn't help but laugh at seeing Napier on the list as he enters year 2. Year 2? What a state the game has reached when a guy with one year under his belt is considered "on the hot seat".
Who works for Quick Hook Florida.

That and not being able to speak English. He tried so hard to look smart but came across as a moron.
We are so blessed to have Heupel. Take Butch on one end of the spectrum. He was so bullheaded that he literally ran read option an entire year with a QB that maybe kept the ball twice all year. Maybe. Now take Heupel. One of my biggest gripes with him his first year with us was our short yardage offense. We always ran 3rd or 4th and short out of the shotgun and we rarely converted. So did Heup stick with it year 2, like almost every coach in the country does? Nope. He put in an under center package and our conversion rate was way better. And I absolutely love that we force teams to play differently than they want to play. The easiest example is our offensive pressure forces teams to go for 4th downs way more than they normally would. We are in great hands.

Nah. Just don't like the piece of crap. I never "bought" what he was selling... him taking the buyout and getting coffee for Saban until it ran out just confirmed my suspicions.

No. I don't like him as a person. He isn't a good coach.

For someone you claim to not like, its odd you let him live rent free in your head.

That’s easy to say looking back. Who was calling for his head after 2015? No one and nor should they have been at that point. It’s easy to look back now and say this or that. Even I’m doing it as I’m saying he was a bad hire but I’m sure I wasn’t saying that after 2015. He did run that stupid read option his first year with Worley though when Worley basically never ran the ball (maybe twice all year?). That was enormously stupid and a huge red flag.

Honestly, I was. I’m not an AD nor have I coached college or any other football but, I knew after the Oklahoma and Arkansas and Bama game that Jones was never going to make it.

Now, of course I had now power but I did know. Saying that, you and the other poster are correct in that no one (making decisions) in their right mind would have let him go except for the AD that fired Solich at Nebraska.

Honestly, I was. I’m not an AD nor have I coached college or any other football but, I knew after the Oklahoma and Arkansas and Bama game that Jones was never going to make it.

Now, of course I had now power but I did know. Saying that, you and the other poster are correct in that no one (making decisions) in their right mind would have let him go except for the AD that fired Solich at Nebraska.
I don’t think Solich had back to back years of 2-game improvements right before being fired but he certainly was fired simply for not being Osborne even though he wasn’t doing all that poorly from my recollection. It’s hard to follow a legend and we all see where that firing has gotten Nebraska.

I don’t think Solich had back to back years of 2-game improvements right before being fired but he certainly was fired simply for not being Osborne even though he wasn’t doing all that poorly from my recollection. It’s hard to follow a legend and we all see where that firing has gotten Nebraska.
Jones was a terrible coach who consistently underperformed and blew a prime opportunity when a bunch of talent fell in his lap. Why are you so determined to defend someone that incompetent?

Jones was a terrible coach who consistently underperformed and blew a prime opportunity when a bunch of talent fell in his lap. Why are you so determined to defend someone that incompetent?
I’m not defending him. I agree with you. But, again, simply based on his record alone his first 3 years (5-7, 7-6, 9-4), no AD in the country would have fired him without some other off-the-field issues.

Reactions: LouderVol
I’m not defending him. I agree with you. But, again, simply based on his record alone his first 3 years (5-7, 7-6, 9-4), no AD in the country would have fired him without some other off-the-field issues.

If you decide to do so ask guys that are/were around campus at the time. He did plenty of sleazy things off the field.

When your headliners on your resume are rehab at Alabama and thanking god for Jeremy Pruitt he should just go away forever and spend whatever time he has left spending money he didn’t earn.

Fk em both.

If you decide to do so ask guys that are/were around campus at the time. He did plenty of sleazy things off the field.

When your headliners on your resume are rehab at Alabama and thanking god for Jeremy Pruitt he should just go away forever and spend whatever time he has left spending money he didn’t earn.

Fk em both.
They both suck for sure. Off the field stuff will get anyone in trouble. Ask Urban.

What he mishandled is more than fair to point out, but it’s not correct that “talent fell in his lap”. The core of his talent weren’t possibilities under Dooley…had already written the Vols off. And the high school relationships were wrecked before Butch took over. It’s not DEFENDING the man to recognize that. He under-developed the talent and micromanaged the offensive and defensive schemes and was always at the disadvantage at making the important calls on gameday. But he was a tireless recruiter and enough higher talent bought his snakeoil for him to blow it.

Reactions: SpookyAction
Butch is just a Mid-American conference coach at best. Yes, better than Dooley. Yes, built program back, somewhat. Yes, recruited better. However, he was not elite coaching but, had us all excited.

Even though he improved year over year, I knew he was never going to be championship caliber coach; as far back to 2015.

What he mishandled is more than fair to point out, but it’s not correct that “talent fell in his lap”. The core of his talent weren’t possibilities under Dooley…had already written the Vols off.
I would largely agree with that. By the time Jones was hired, it seemed to be an open secret that Dooley had tried to get a settlement to leave the year before. Morale across the program was probably as low as it could be. No one wanted to be part of the perpetual funeral service that was Dooley's staff and locker room.

That doesn't mean that Jones didn't have a recruiting situation that was unique in all of my time watching UT football. I can't say that he didn't go out and win some battles. He definitely found and won Dobbs. He brought Kamara in... and ultimately wasted his ability. Jalen Hurd was one of the worst wasted potentials to ever sign with UT. Just the homers and legacies for those two years created almost certain top 10 classes.

I'm not saying he didn't do anything. Being a used car salesman before people realized he couldn't coach was definitely his "best" trait.

And the high school relationships were wrecked before Butch took over. It’s not DEFENDING the man to recognize that. He under-developed the talent and micromanaged the offensive and defensive schemes and was always at the disadvantage at making the important calls on gameday. But he was a tireless recruiter and enough higher talent bought his snakeoil for him to blow it.
I think we agree here pretty much. My point is that you don't often have a class at UT with a foundation of Hurd, Malone, Kelly, Barnett, Wharton, Bates, BerryX2, Gaulden, etc. Outside of Dooley, I think every coach UT has had from Majors forward would have had them on NSD.

It is kind of sickening is to think of what Heupel could have done with a roster that had Kamara, Hurd, Malone, Pearson, Jennings, Dobbs, etc. My problem with Jones has always been that I think he squandered great opportunity.

Last edited:
Aside from Butchie boi, I couldn't help but laugh at seeing Napier on the list as he enters year 2. Year 2? What a state the game has reached when a guy with one year under his belt is considered "on the hot seat".

Florida don’t mess around with with average coaches, much less losers.

Butch “could” have become a good HC if he had listened to his assistants instead of micromanaging the whole team.

His ego didn’t allow him to adapt to SEC play from the Big East.

Had he changed, he probably would still be our HC right now.

Butch will always go down as the guy who had all the pieces to win a Championship but failed miserably.

Butch “could” have become a good HC if he had listened to his assistants instead of micromanaging the whole team.

His ego didn’t allow him to adapt to SEC play from the Big East.

Had he changed, he probably would still be our HC right now.

Butch will always go down as the guy who had all the pieces to win a Championship but failed miserably.
Butch will always go down as a classless douche pretender who failed miserably at leading young men.

I would largely agree with that. By the time Jones was hired, it seemed to be an open secret that Dooley had tried to get a settlement to leave the year before. Morale across the program was probably as low as it could be. No one wanted to be part of the perpetual funeral service that was Dooley's staff and locker room.

That doesn't mean that Jones didn't have a recruiting situation that was unique in all of my time watching UT football. I can't say that he didn't go out and win some battles. He definitely found and won Dobbs. He brought Kamara in... and ultimately wasted his ability. Jalen Hurd was one of the worst wasted potentials to ever sign with UT. Just the homers and legacies for those two years created almost certain top 10 classes.

I'm not saying he didn't do anything. Being a used car salesman before people realized he couldn't coach was definitely his "best" trait.

I think we agree here pretty much. My point is that you don't often have a class at UT with a foundation of Hurd, Malone, Kelly, Barnett, Wharton, Bates, BerryX2, Gaulden, etc. Outside of Dooley, I think every coach UT has had from Majors forward would have had them on NSD.

It is kind of sickening is to think of what Heupel could have done with a roster that had Kamara, Hurd, Malone, Pearson, Jennings, Dobbs, etc. My problem with Jones has always been that I think he squandered great opportunity.
Alvin Kamara would have won a Heisman, or at the very least been invited to NYC, if Heupel was his coach in college. There is no doubt in my mind about that. Imagine Kamara running through the holes that Wright/Small have, and imagine him catching passes out of the backfield and lined up in the slot.

The amount of all-purpose yards he would have racked up would have been absolutely ridiculous, and Tennessee would have had a season as a team good enough for him to get a lot of consideration for it.

VN Store

Back