Hoping Chaney took notes from the NC title game

JG and Pruitt-enough said.
I agree if he can do with Bailey what he did with Tyler Bray and the weapons are there to do it with then who knows what happens. He also has 8 months and 3 games to start the season that are winnable games so time will tell. I know there is a lot of anger and it is well deserved but it's not out of the question that we could have a decent to good season.

* Every playcall was timely.

* Every playcall seemed like it had a purpose whether to get Smith the ball in space, establish the run game with Harris, or to set up another play later on ( many of these were TD's).

*With each possession and even after big scores, there always seemed to be a sense of urgency to get the next one.

*There seemed to be 10,000 different specialized plays, but the offense knew exactly how to execute each one.

*Jones is a good QB and I realize he's got historically great playmakers around him, but he doesn't do anything to screw it up.....(yes, that's a plus)
Very keen observationsšŸ˜

We saw the exact same things. If Smith doesnt play im not sure Bama wins that game. U cant deny that kid's talent but Sark was on another level calling plays. It was kinda like when Klay Thompson dropped 37 in a quater, he couldnt miss.
Bama would have won without Smith, other receivers made plays and Bama still would have ran it on OSU. OSU was trying to cover wr's and tight ends with their LB's and it wasn't happening. Bama also pretty much shut down OSU save a few drives. It may have been a little closer but they would have still lost by 2 or 3 touchdowns.

Reactions: jim43
I love Bama players mindset, they wanted to be on the field. Waddle could have sat, but he wanted to play and played some. Their center hurt and all came in at the end and played. Even the qb could have came out in the 4th way before the last series but bruised leg and all said I want to play. Tough mentality equals tough teams. They play as a team, not worried about the NFL they want to win PERIOD! GBO!

Reactions: Mtnvol80
I love Bama players mindset, they wanted to be on the field. Waddle could have sat, but he wanted to play and played some. Their center hurt and all came in at the end and played. Even the qb could have came out in the 4th way before the last series but bruised leg and all said I want to play. Tough mentality equals tough teams. They play as a team, not worried about the NFL they want to win PERIOD! GBO!
Yeah, that was a big financial risk for Waddle. He definitely has a different mindset than most players these days.

Edit: I also have to give credit for D. Smith and N. Harris for coming back. Manningsque in their committment to their respective schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: igotworms
I will bet anyone a million dollars Sark can't do the same thing at Texas next year.

When a QB has 7 seconds to throw the ball it opens up all kinds of possibilities. This was 7-on-7 for Mac Jones and when all else failed, Harris was good for at least 8 or 9 yards.

This was talent.
And?

When Pruitt is fired - the next HC won't retain Chaney.
Thatā€™s not even close to being a given. No one knows what this inept organization is going to do. Hiring Steele certainly swings the pendulum back toward Pruitt staying as of today.

Thatā€™s not even close to being a given. No one knows what this inept organization is going to do. Hiring Steele certainly swings the pendulum back toward Pruitt staying as of today.

Not at all - completely different defensive philosophy, they didn't hire Steele to work for Pruitt - notwithstanding the announcement of his hiring. Interesting that he hasn't been assigned a position group.

I saw Butch cheerleading on the sidelines. I bet he had nothing to do with how good Bama looks. Still can't stand that guy.

Butch deserved to be fired @ UT but I donā€™t despise the guy as I donā€™t know him. He was full of cliches, just like Mike Tomlin of (my favorite team) the Steelers.

Butch had some success in 2016 but couldnā€™t figure out how to keep it going and lost three of four ( something like that).

Who knows what happened behind the scenes but he underperformed with a ton of talent in 2016 and 2017 was a disaster.

Reactions: guesscrazy
Not at all - completely different defensive philosophy, they didn't hire Steele to work for Pruitt - notwithstanding the announcement of his hiring. Interesting that he hasn't been assigned a position group.
You have an opinion only like the rest of us. According to some insiders he has. Only way Pruitt is fired is if something is uncovered in the current investigation. That certainly is not a given just like Pruitt being let go is not a given. Whatever the outcome , this administration has taken botched coaching decisions to levels that exceeds the 2017 debacle and guarantees UT football as a punchline for decades if we are still here.

You have an opinion only like the rest of us. According to some insiders he has. Only way Pruitt is fired is if something is uncovered in the current investigation. That certainly is not a given just like Pruitt being let go is not a given. Whatever the outcome , this administration has taken botched coaching decisions to levels that exceeds the 2017 debacle and guarantees UT football as a punchline for decades if we are still here.

Pruitt will be given his walking papers much sooner than later. But to each their own.

The difference between Chaney and Sark is Chaney likes to complicate the simple and Sark simplifies the complex. I've never seen a guy use more formations and player packages to run inside the tackles. He's also married to tight formations without the weapons and QB to handle the quick decisions. I heard McElroy today talking about how Sark simplifies the reads for his QBs and focuses on creating easy matchups.

When Chaney first came to UGA with a 5 star frosh QB that had never taken a snap under center, UGA fans were shocked when we heard Eason was having trouble identifying Mike. Once we saw teams stacking 11 men inside 7 yards of the LOS and 9 in the box, we began to understand how a true frosh was having trouble in Chaney's system. Chaney isn't the worst OC I've ever seen but he has produced multiple bottom 100 scoring and total Os. He needs a very sharp QB and NFL talent at every position to crack the top 30 os.

Reactions: Mtnvol80

Pruitt will be given his walking papers much sooner than later. But to each their own.
Ok what do you base your opinion on and when did you arrive at that opinion?

Also explain how Steeles defensive philosophy varies from Pruittā€™s and how do you not know that Pruitt would change his philosophy. Look at Sabanā€™s approach to Offensive and overall game planning.

Sarkisian laid out a masterful game plan to win the NC for Bama as their OC. Not only that, but play after play after play matchup issues for the OSU defense were so exploited elementary school kids could see them. LBs chasing a Heisman winning WR down in single coverage?!?!?

Sarkisian granted had great talent to work with but I'm guessing he could have taken a good group of junior high kids and done the same thing. The plan and the matchups were so glaringly great.

Our offense has been anemic for years. There's more than one reason why that has been. That said, I'd like to see someone as experienced as Coach Chaney dialup matchup problems and exploit them on the regular and if necessary, tell the HC to butt out on the game plan and calling it to get those matchups in place.
I could have filled in as OC for Bama and won that game easily. Heck, the QB could have called his own plays and scored 45.

At one point, after another 8-9 yard run, I saw Harris get up and pat one of his linemen on the back as they were walking to line up for the next play. While it was a simple move, it sent a strong signal. That's how teams build synergy...by truly respecting and caring about each other. I told my son, "Man, it would be nice to have a good team again." I am not sure I have seen any camaraderie like that in several years at UT.

Of course, my next statement was, "Of course, it would be nice to have a good head coach, too."

VN Store

Back