Hooker >Dobbs

Dobbs better runner but Hooker better than average runner and more accurate passer. Good teams can shut down one dimensional qbs Georgia and Bama. I know Dobbs beat UGA but this UGA is far better. I dont mean to overlook OLe MIss by any means. I'm thinking they, all three, will be out to hit Hooker hard.
There is _potential_ for Hooker to one day be seen as on the same tier as Josh Dobbs.

He's not there yet. Let's give him time and see.

Reactions: TomcatVolFan
Hooker is great but Dobbs was a game changer.
Yes, but Dobbs was also surrounded by better talent. I think before it is all said and done Hookers' numbers will be better than Dobb's best years. Possible due because of the scheme. I loved watching Dobb's play, but by no means was his accuracy mind-blowing.

Dobbs was either tougher or more evasive than Dobbs, IMHO. And I am not slighting Hooker. Actually, there was a quarteback sneak that Hendon ran that I said, "Dobbs"!
I haven't given up on Milton, though. Remember, Hooker was having the same overthrowing problem as Milton until Milton got pulled.

Hooker is superior to Dobbs throwing the ball.

I think Dobbs was blessed with the x-factor running the football...he was slippery, and you can’t coach it. But Hooker is a more polished passer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnnyreb#VFL
Hooker is vastly superior to Dobbs throwing the ball. I think Dobbs was blessed with the x-factor running the football...he was slippery, and you can’t coach it. But Hooker is a more accurate passer.

Once he got going, Dobbs looked like a horse running downhill. And he wasn’t afraid to power over someone. Hooker spin move is legit, but he tries to avoid the contact, Dobbs would run through tacklers.
1633813746142.gif

That’s tru
Once he got going, Dobbs looked like a horse running downhill. And he wasn’t afraid to power over someone. Hooker spin move is legit, but he tries to avoid the contact, Dobbs would run through tacklers.

That’s true...he was special on the move. A lot of his best throws came while on the move and when he was extending plays.

Reactions: Johnnyreb#VFL
Not sure why fans feel a thread like this is necessary. Pronouncing Hooker superior to a guy in the NFL after 3-4 games vs low to mid level competition? Ridiculous.
Last week, people were comparing him to T-Rob and Condredge.

The second half of this game, I kept thinking about when we played SC some years back and we were down at least three scores with 3-4 minutes in the 4th quarter and Dobbs used his feet and his arm to brIng us back to a win. It haunted me the whole 4th quarter! (We were playing them in Cocksville, too)

It's heresy here, but I agree ... Hooker may be better than Dobbs.

I will say Dobbs had better awareness and was a master at improvisation. But Hooker's close to Dobbs on that attribute and he's a better passer. Dobbs would struggle for stretches to hit open receivers on medium and long range throws.

That said, it's crazy to think what Josh Heupel could've done with the 2015 and '16 offenses.

Dobbs better runner but Hooker better than average runner and more accurate passer. Good teams can shut down one dimensional qbs Georgia and Bama. I know Dobbs beat UGA but this UGA is far better. I dont mean to overlook OLe MIss by any means. I'm thinking they, all three, will be out to hit Hooker hard.
Small sample size. Hooker basically only throws screens. Most of his passing yards is produced from YAC. Hooker is a more shifty runner, but all Dobbs did was make plays. Hopefully passing game picks up because we're going to need more than screens these next 4 weeks

Honestly I think Hooker compares favorably with Heath Schuler. Schuler would have been next level elite in a modern scheme. As it was he was excellent in 80s/90s offense. Granted, he had elite talent all over the field around him too.

Reactions: Birdie
Next thing we know…folks will be on here claiming that Bates>Al Wilson….

Yikes @ this thread at this point lmao. Hooker is playing good ball but Dobbs is player that beat Florida and UGA twice. Slow the rolllllll

Hooker is way better than freshman and sophomore Dobbs. I’m not ready to say that Hooker is better than junior and senior Dobbs - I hope I do at the end of the year.

Honestly I think Hooker compares favorably with Heath Schuler. Schuler would have been next level elite in a modern scheme. As it was he was excellent in 80s/90s offense. Granted, he had elite talent all over the field around him too.

He would be incredible in today's game. Dude was a specimen. Was before his time. Worked with a guy that went to HS with Heath. Said he was the nicest guy you'd ever meet. Said he accidentally shattered a backboard during warm-ups for a bball game once.

Reactions: 'Boro-vol

VN Store

Back