Honest Opinion

Consistently underachieving got Butch fired. I didn’t say if we leave him alone for 10 years that means he’ll be successful, I said he needs time. Five years. I’m not saying if he throws 3 straight 5-7 seasons out there in his first 3 years he needs to be kept because clearly he doesn’t. What I am saying is, give him a fair shake. Butch got his fair shake. Some people don’t even want to give Pruitt a chance to build something here. They think he should come out and go 10-2 every year and when he don’t they want him fired. Maybe we’ll know before then but do you really think it’s in our programs best interest to be swapping coaching every 3-4 years? Dabo didn’t win a thing at Clemson that mattered until the last 4-5 years and he’s been there how long?

Pruitt will get at least 5 years if he shows continuous improvements.

Dabo won at Clemson early and often. In his first full year as head coach he went 8-4 winning his division, final record of 9-5. In his 3rd year he went 9-3 winning the conference and going to a NY6 bowl, final record 10-4. He has not won fewer than 10 games since then. Dabo has 1 season with fewer than 9 wins and has never had a losing season.

Great coaches don’t spend a few years being bad then become really good. That is what coaches who win on talent alone do. We saw it with Butch. I hope we don’t see it again.

Success for Tennessee's football program is to be in the hunt to win the SEC any given year. Translated, it means the Vols have a 50-50 chance of defeating Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and/or whichever team was on top the year before. That's top echelon SEC. That's bowl games and a shot at the playoff. That's averaging better than 6 SEC victories and better than 9 total victories per year over the stretch of the next two decades. That'll play out as more 10+ Ws than 9-3s and 8-4s. Will Pruitt lead us there?

Time will tell.

Reactions: Big Al Orange

VN Store

Back