Honest Opinion

a vol n tears

With Fall practice starting and all the posts talking about the excitement and higher expectations I am trying to look at reality. The players do look bigger and that was stated by Pruitt. He has put together a highly skilled staff and that is proven by their histories of former jobs.He has recruited some highly rated players other top programs wanted. But in reality, most of the SEC has great S&C programs, excellent coaching staffs, and recruits some top players. While I think Pruitt has / will improve the team, will eventually catch up with the Kentuckys, Vandys, and even USCe, what will it require to want Pruitt to stay around for many many years? Keep in mind how much college football has changed in 30 years. Think about how much the SEC has changed. Remember for all of Fulmer's wins he only won the SEC 2 times. In today's times there are only 4 teams at the end of the season people talk about. Wins are harder to get. Times past a high rated bowl was enough to keep fans excited and content. Now after Jones won 9 games back to back he was still maligned (for pretty good reasons). Since the program has been so down for the past 15 years, everyone say a winning season or bowl game will suffuce. How long will that be enough? What are your win expectations to keep Pruitt long term and be satisfied after 5 -6 years?

What do you mean by catch up with Kentucky? The second or third worst Tennessee team of the past 30 years beat the hell out of the best Kentucky team of the past thirty years. Not much catching up to do.
Head to head aside, as much as it pains me to type it, they had the better year last year.

Agree or disagree with part or all of my post, what will Pruitt honestly have to win to keeps fans satisfied? If he wins 90-100 games in 10 years with just 1 or no SEC titles will you be happy? if he averages 8 wins a season (historic average for TENN) will you be satisified?

Agree or disagree with part or all of my post, what will Pruitt honestly have to win to keeps fans satisfied? If he wins 90-100 games in 10 years with just 1 or no SEC titles will you be happy? if he averages 8 wins a season (historic average for TENN) will you be satisified?
I doubt anyone is happy with perennial eight-win teams. I’m not.

If you guys will leave Pruitt be for a few years I think you’ll be happy with the product he puts on the field. He’s changing a ton of things and it’s for the better IMO. 5 years is what he needs before we even talk about the “hot seat”. He inherited a bigger mess than some people want to think. He needs time to get his talent here, things like that. JMO

If you guys will leave Pruitt be for a few years I think you’ll be happy with the product he puts on the field. He’s changing a ton of things and it’s for the better IMO. 5 years is what he needs before we even talk about the “hot seat”. He inherited a bigger mess than some people want to think. He needs time to get his talent here, things like that. JMO
I’m sold right now just on the staff he’s assembled and the results of our strength and conditioning program.

I doubt anyone is happy with perennial eight-win teams. I’m not.

I would personally take a 6-7 win season ever 3-4 years if it meant a natty that 5th season. Those 8-9 win seasons are consistent and nice but eventually got to take that next step or we might as well be a Georgia lol

Great coaches in the SEC prove it on the field by the 3rd year. Since the SEC championship game was added in the early 90s, every coach that has won it had at least made it to the championship by their 3rd year. Fulmer is the only exception.

Great college football players only play 3 years before going pro. Gone are the days where you redshirt your freshmen and they don’t start until being in the program for 3 years. Bama and Clemson started multiple freshmen in the championship and even more subbed in for starters. A team can be completely flipped by year 3.

If we have another Charlotte type game against a D2 program (under 200 yards, 1 offensive TD, negative rushing yards in the 1st quarter) then Pruitt most likely isn’t the guy and never will be.

Reactions: Woke
I’m sold right now just on the staff he’s assembled and the results of our strength and conditioning program.
Absolutely! Strength and conditioning is probably one of the most under appreciated position on any coaching staff, at least from a casual fan’s point of view. The teams that are competing every year have consistency at that position on the staff. There’s a reason Saban does everything he can to keep his guy.

Reactions: i2amavol
Head to head aside, as much as it pains me to type it, they had the better year last year.
Only an imbecile would argue that Tennessee had a better season than Kentucky. I just don’t think there’s any catching up to do.

Reactions: feathersax
What do you mean by catch up with Kentucky? The second or third worst Tennessee team of the past 30 years beat the hell out of the best Kentucky team of the past 30 years. Not much catching up to do.

Agreed! We don’t have to “catch up” to Ky, vandy, or sc. Why did the op say we might even catch us to usc? As if that’s questionable. Good lord. Our roster is significantly better than all 3 of those (including usc). They’ve all had better coaching than us and more stability recently but we do have more talent on our roster. Op couldve thrown mizzou in there as well. We done need to catch up to them. We just need to put a well coached team out on the field this fall. We do need to catch up to uga and Florida in the east. And Florida’s roster isn’t significantly better than ours.
Will Pruitt be the guy to put a well coached team out in the field? Who knows. He wasn’t very impressive last season. We tried to impose our will as opposed to taking what the defense was giving us. And good example of that would’ve been the wv game. They had very small/inexperienced dbacks covering our wrs. But we continued to try to run the ball and impose our will even though they were loading the box. We finally aired it out on a few possessions (once we were way behind) and were really effective. He also chose to continually throw the players under the bus in the media.
He does seem to have turned over a new leaf in admitted that he looked in he mirror and evaluated himself and his commitment to his players. He also brought in an expierenced and proven oc that will hopefully have the green light to run the offense as he sees fit. So I’m cautiously optimistic. Time will tell. But to the original point...we don’t need to “catch up” to vandy and ky

Last edited:
With Fall practice starting and all the posts talking about the excitement and higher expectations I am trying to look at reality. The players do look bigger and that was stated by Pruitt. He has put together a highly skilled staff and that is proven by their histories of former jobs.He has recruited some highly rated players other top programs wanted. But in reality, most of the SEC has great S&C programs, excellent coaching staffs, and recruits some top players. While I think Pruitt has / will improve the team, will eventually catch up with the Kentuckys, Vandys, and even USCe, what will it require to want Pruitt to stay around for many many years? Keep in mind how much college football has changed in 30 years. Think about how much the SEC has changed. Remember for all of Fulmer's wins he only won the SEC 2 times. In today's times there are only 4 teams at the end of the season people talk about. Wins are harder to get. Times past a high rated bowl was enough to keep fans excited and content. Now after Jones won 9 games back to back he was still maligned (for pretty good reasons). Since the program has been so down for the past 15 years, everyone say a winning season or bowl game will suffuce. How long will that be enough? What are your win expectations to keep Pruitt long term and be satisfied after 5 -6 years?

The big bowl thing is not dead. Trust me, Tennessee gets to a New Years 6 bowl and you’ll see excitement out of this fanbase that we haven’t seen since the mid 2000’s

I should have stated my expectations in my op.
I think in today's environment, averaging 9 wins would do it. That should require winning the East occasionally and finishing 2nd or 3rd if Ga and Fl have decent teams.
Ala is an anomaly right now and just happens to be the biggest rival, but they are clouding everyone's expectations that TENN should win the SEC or NC every 4 or 5 years. Lots of other SEC teams are working towards that same goal. Not an easy thing to win the SEC!!!!!

Reactions: savannahfan
Folks, it'll take Pruitt five years. And in five years he'll be competing on the level of Florida, Georgia, LSU, and eventually Bama. Let the man work--it will happen, but he needs five years.

Why 5?
Why 7 or 3 for that matter?

Just say give him time...

From what I can see, year 4 ( 2021) He will either win the SEC EAST or SEC Title.
We'll take a step back in 2020 because the loss at WR. We needed some good talent there in 2019. But in 2021 veteran line, veteran RBs, WRs and loaded defense.

He's not only recruiting high caliber players, he's coaching up guys who he didn't even recruit. Last year was Darrell Taylor's first real year at LB...dude would have been drafted had he left. Not very high, but ONE year and become draftable...

Alontae Taylor and Bryce Thompson never played CB. BOTH end up starters as freshman in the SEC.

Team has gotten bigger, stronger and faster.
And MORE TALENTED.

Agreed! We don’t have to “catch up” to Ky, vandy, or sc. Why did the op say we might even catch us to usc? As if that’s questionable. Good lord. Our roster is significantly better than all 3 of those (including usc). They’ve all had better coaching than us and more stability recently but we do have more talent on our roster. Op couldve thrown mizzou in there as well. We done need to catch up to them. We just need to put a well coached team out on the field this fall. We do need to catch up to uga and Florida in the east. And Florida’s roster isn’t significantly better than ours.
Will Pruitt be the guy to put a well coached team out in the field? Who knows. He wasn’t very impressive last season. We tried to impose our will as opposed to taking what the defense was giving us. And good example of that would’ve been the wv game. They had very small/inexperienced dbacks covering our wrs. But we continued to try to run the ball and impose our will even though they were loading the box. We finally aired it out on a few possessions (once we were way brings) and were really effective. He also chose to continually throw the players under the bus in the media.
He does seem to have turned over a new leaf in admitted that he looked in he mirror and evaluated himself and his commitment to his players. He also brought in an expierenced and proven oc that will hopefully have the green light to run the offense as he sees fit. So I’m cautiously optimistic. Time will tell. But to the original point...we don’t need to “catch up” to vandy and ky

What did you see last year that leads you to think TENN doesn't need to catch up to Vandy and Missouri. Getting beaten by both for the better part of the last 5 years? Or getting beat by 25 pts or more in multiple games. Or a close game to Charlotte? Did Pruitt out coach everyone last year. Based on the "on the field results" They have a lot of catching up to do. Coaching, talent, and discipline. They are 2 years removed from an 0-8 SEC mark.

Reactions: 08Vol and marvin616
You keep looking for the right coach who can put the pieces together. You look for a coach who can assemble a team that can compete with the top teams.... and who can then outcoach the other guy.

Yeah. It is hard. But you either settle or you keep pushing to rise to where Bama and Clemson are.

Jones signed some really good talent. But it was pretty obvious from the start that he couldn't coach at a level to win big in the SEC. In 5 years... he underperformed the talent he had 5 times.

I think Pruitt believed he would surprise some people last year before both Kennedy and Smith went out. The OL was too thin then lost its best two players. That probably hurt more than we'll ever truly be able to pin down.

Pruitt seems confident. He seems comfortable with where they're at. He seems to like the players he has and their development. He's seen good teams before... I hope that's why he's acting so much more confident.

The big bowl thing is not dead. Trust me, Tennessee gets to a New Years 6 bowl and you’ll see excitement out of this fanbase that we haven’t seen since the mid 2000’s
I’d be giddy as a school girl to get to a New Years Six game. I 110% agree with your statement

Barring a catastrophe, he has to get four. No one wants to start over... AGAIN.
I definitely don’t want to have to start over again any time soon. This program needs consistency badly. I hate to keep throwing that word out there but good consistency is where sustained success starts for the program in the long haul. I just turned 30, I remember the late 90s and early 00s well. I would love to sniff that type of success again and we aren’t going to do that firing coaches every 3-5 years. It’s one thing if Pruitt leaves after 5 years and takes another job because he was successful here, would still suck but it’s an entirely different thing if we have to fire him IMO

Reactions: AllVols

VN Store

Back