Honest Opinion

I doubt anyone is happy with perennial eight-win teams. I’m not.
Eight-win season...what in the world is that??!?!

Yeah, won’t be happy with a perennial 8-win season, but would love a couple right now.

Eight-win season...what in the world is that??!?!

Yeah, won’t be happy with a perennial 8-win season, but would love a couple right now.

Had a couple with Butch and we all ended up pissed......because we all saw it should have been more.

Not all 8 win seasons are equal.

Reactions: 08Vol
Coach still has a long way to go, yes he looked in the mirror and he sounds like he did'nt like what he saw. A good start for season two is to know you need to change. I have confidence in Coach Pruitt and the others as well. I think the staff we have should be recuriting better, unless several highly rated players sign late we are looking at a number 30 or lower rated class for 2020. Recruiting will improve with wins and the coaches will get better players. This year 7 to 8 wins , hopefully 8 and a bowl. I've followed the Vols since 1953 and the only time I can compare this to is when Bill Battle had to leave the program, look how long it took to rebuild. Coach can do the job but it won't be easy. Don't stick a time on him. I can remember folks said Majors would win the SEC in 3 years. What ever happens I still love the Vols. Keep the faith.

Agree or disagree with part or all of my post, what will Pruitt honestly have to win to keeps fans satisfied? If he wins 90-100 games in 10 years with just 1 or no SEC titles will you be happy? if he averages 8 wins a season (historic average for TENN) will you be satisified?
Idc what anyone triea to argue with but growing up as a kid TN was always a threat to win the SEC on a yearly basis and teams feared to play us. As long as that's happening then I'll be happy. So in saying that we expect championships and that's not gonna change

I honestly don't understand why this concept is so hard for some people. Patience and talk of 5 years sounds noble and all right now... but after you get to and past that third year with stumbles and bumbles and a drop off in recruiting... people seem to come around.

Are Tennesseean's a bit slow?
Sometimes, yes they are

You guys are worrying too much. Just sit back and wait and watch the upcoming edge of your seat season of strange sights and implausible wonders. It's coming, it's coming, yes indeed, it's coming.

Is it just me or did the Orange in the beginning look like a different shade? I know we discussed this on another thread but it just seemed way off in this video. Or, is it the way our jerseys are made now?

With Fall practice starting and all the posts talking about the excitement and higher expectations I am trying to look at reality. The players do look bigger and that was stated by Pruitt. He has put together a highly skilled staff and that is proven by their histories of former jobs.He has recruited some highly rated players other top programs wanted. But in reality, most of the SEC has great S&C programs, excellent coaching staffs, and recruits some top players. While I think Pruitt has / will improve the team, will eventually catch up with the Kentuckys, Vandys, and even USCe, what will it require to want Pruitt to stay around for many many years? Keep in mind how much college football has changed in 30 years. Think about how much the SEC has changed. Remember for all of Fulmer's wins he only won the SEC 2 times. In today's times there are only 4 teams at the end of the season people talk about. Wins are harder to get. Times past a high rated bowl was enough to keep fans excited and content. Now after Jones won 9 games back to back he was still maligned (for pretty good reasons). Since the program has been so down for the past 15 years, everyone say a winning season or bowl game will suffuce. How long will that be enough? What are your win expectations to keep Pruitt long term and be satisfied after 5 -6 years?
Honestly, and I am speaking just for me, I expect CJP to lead this program back to relevance. Relevance, to me, is beating programs you traditionally should beat. Vandy, UK, USC, and Missouri, from the East. Taking your place, in the upper echelon, by competing closely with, and beating teams like UGA, UF, Bama, Auburn, LSU. Not every time, obviously. But, we are not getting blown out by the Top SEC programs. I expect us to "Defend Our House"!! And win big games on the road, more often than not. I expect UT to be in the conversation, as SEC East Champs, SEC Champs, and occasionally, CFB Playoffs. Of course, we will have down years, and other programs will have up years. I expect us to maintain our series lead over LSU, regain our series lead over UGA and Auburn, and maintain it. I expect us to slowly gain ground on UF, in the all-time series. I expect the same with Bama. I expect us to dominate Missouri, Vandy, UK, and USC. I do not expect this to happen overnight. But, I do expect to continue to see progress, via recruiting, coaching hires, superior coaching decisions, and overall progress of the product, on the field. Am I asking for too much? I do not think Phil Fulmer thinks so.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Is it just me or did the Orange in the beginning look like a different shade? I know we discussed this on another thread but it just seemed way off in this video. Or, is it the way our jerseys are made now?

I really don't know. It might be how the light hits the color, how often they've been washed, how well the fabric takes the dye, fading due to sunlight, or just plain carelessness of Nike (also issue with Adidas) personnel. I just don't know. I prefer the tangerine orange shade, myself.

Honest opinion, I don't really care any more. Notihng has worked recently so who knows what's the correct call anymore? Losing to Vandy every year is too much.

Reactions: 08Vol
Agree or disagree with part or all of my post, what will Pruitt honestly have to win to keeps fans satisfied? If he wins 90-100 games in 10 years with just 1 or no SEC titles will you be happy? if he averages 8 wins a season (historic average for TENN) will you be satisified?
90 to 100 wins in 10 years is an average of 9-10, not 8big different, especially if includes a couple of SEC titles and a few wins over Florida. A few wins over Alabama would go a long way too.

He has to win a national championship within the next five or six years to stick around for long.

Coach JP or any coach should never be judged by the players they inhearet. It starts with freshmen. That should give him at least four to five years. With the SEC being so competitive he should not be held to a standard of always winning the East but at least be a spoiler team and feared. He will be judged by the amount of players he can put into the NFL. If he can put players in the league he will be successfull regardless of the record. Putting players in the league will give him the opportunity to get the Jimmys and Joes on a consistent basis. With today’s kids it’s all a bout the league...

Reactions: JT3
Pruitt is not afraid to start a freshman if he.is the best .uk up.Not a personality parade as B.thx player (Dormancy vrs. Garantano),therefore the p!ayers know hard work will get playing time.Influx of decidedly better recruits at all positions has/will help.A couple of years.after this year's improvement,will show that Jeremy Pruitt has the chops to do the cops right.

If he wins 8-9 games a year we are going to ask why can't he win 10. 12 wins and no national championship a couple times and we will ask why can't he win the big one. Ultimately we will not be happy unless he can accomplish what Saban has accomplished at Alabama. Deny it you want.

And you sir, gave the correct answer to my OP (Honest Opinion)

Reactions: Boogievol
If he wins 8-9 games a year we are going to ask why can't he win 10. 12 wins and no national championship a couple times and we will ask why can't he win the big one. Ultimately we will not be happy unless he can accomplish what Saban has accomplished at Alabama. Deny it you want.
10-12 wins a year would entail winning the east several times, and possibly the SEC outright. Not to mention beating our rivals regularly. If we get to that point after where we've been, the administration would be moronic to let CJP go. Then again we are talking about the UT administration.

I definitely don’t want to have to start over again any time soon. This program needs consistency badly. I hate to keep throwing that word out there but good consistency is where sustained success starts for the program in the long haul. I just turned 30, I remember the late 90s and early 00s well. I would love to sniff that type of success again and we aren’t going to do that firing coaches every 3-5 years. It’s one thing if Pruitt leaves after 5 years and takes another job because he was successful here, would still suck but it’s an entirely different thing if we have to fire him IMO

Coaches aren’t successful because they are at a program for a long time. Coaches are at a program for a long time because they are successful. After 3 years of Dooley we knew what his 9th year would look like if we didn’t fire him. Butch was fired in his 5th year, all that consistency the previous 4 years resulted in 0 SEC wins in 2017.

Coaches aren’t successful because they are at a program for a long time. Coaches are at a program for a long time because they are successful. After 3 years of Dooley we knew what his 9th year would look like if we didn’t fire him. Butch was fired in his 5th year, all that consistency the previous 4 years resulted in 0 SEC wins in 2017.

Consistently underachieving got Butch fired. I didn’t say if we leave him alone for 10 years that means he’ll be successful, I said he needs time. Five years. I’m not saying if he throws 3 straight 5-7 seasons out there in his first 3 years he needs to be kept because clearly he doesn’t. What I am saying is, give him a fair shake. Butch got his fair shake. Some people don’t even want to give Pruitt a chance to build something here. They think he should come out and go 10-2 every year and when he don’t they want him fired. Maybe we’ll know before then but do you really think it’s in our programs best interest to be swapping coaching every 3-4 years? Dabo didn’t win a thing at Clemson that mattered until the last 4-5 years and he’s been there how long?

VN Store

Back